Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Prevention: Knee Pain During (training brain)

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
So I do have osteoarthritis in my left knee (barely any cartilage). Am trying to grow my wheels (aka legs), in size and also increase intensity with conditioning. Working with my personal trainer and he has taught me how to position my body in certain ways and to be sure to engage the quad and hamstrings and not lift with the knees.

Well i have been really, really trying. I am one that much prefers to lift the weight the CORRECT way as opposed to jerking around, because i don't want any injuries and at my age am susceptible to some (am 50 yrs young).

Problem is that every time i tell my brain to ignore the pain in the knee...and instead focus on engaging the quad....well when the knee pain its, my brain automatically triggers and focuses on that damn pain. Now i have been putting some cream or something on it prior to any work outs (currently using a foam, Theraworx, have also used a spray: Salonpas). Thinking that this would help stifle any pain i may feel , and therefore would help me focus on the quads.
I am worried about my other quad "taking over" and then become asymmetrical (which for me in bodybuilding is not the goal...judges look at symmetry). So i try to really stifle the pain thoughts lol, and focus on my quad. It sometimes helps, and sometimes not LOL.
Last knee injection was in April I think so i may be due for one...knee always acts up at the end of them anyway.
I don't want to chug IB's.
So just trying to work through it. If i can just stifle the pain....then i think i can get past it.

Give you a for instance......holding a 40# dumbbell, heels elevated and doing a squat to focus on quads. In this movement i really feel my knee.
Another for instance, knee extensions...yea i know, they are no good for your knees. DOn't worry i don't go heavy, i go light AF, but still.

Maybe if i continue to focus to train my brain not to worry about the pain in my knee, it will finally listen?? LOL

I think i might try to use some CBD (skywellness) that is for pain. Certainly not going to chug hydrocodone either lol.

It's a bitch gettin old man....

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I'm reading this as I sit in the ortho office waiting room. This time of yr kills me due to the humidity and temp swings, 30's at night at 70 during the day hurts!

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Have you tried curcumin? I dont promote any supplements cause none of them ever work but this stuff is the real deal. I know several people at the gym and some that dont workout and they all love how this stuff kills pain in there joints. If you're gonna get relief from this it works within 2 weeks.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Have you tried curcumin? I dont promote any supplements cause none of them ever work but this stuff is the real deal. I know several people at the gym and some that dont workout and they all love how this stuff kills pain in there joints. If you're gonna get relief from this it works within 2 weeks.

Thanks @searay will give it a go!

jhc005

jhc005

Muscle Princess
Sep 14, 2013
This brand works pretty good. Helps with joint pain and inflammation.

Attachments

• B7B304BA-9BEB-4A69-9485-002FCBA68D48.jpeg
    B7B304BA-9BEB-4A69-9485-002FCBA68D48.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 169
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic