Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Premature Deaths .......... What's The Difference?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
A lot of recent talk here on TID and out there on other sites about premature death among Bodybuilders. Talk would often go back to include premature deaths from 10-20 yrs ago as well. Discussions about cause of death followed, and those included aas and other PEDs, excessive Body Mass Index, huge feeding habits, etc.

Made me wonder why premature death among WSM competitors gets less attention. A (very) quick search limited to just names I remember yields Jon Pall Sigmarsson, O.D Wilson, and Jesse Marunde. Jesse died 14 yrs ago; the other two died back in the early 1990s.

Is the difference in attention due to:

There are just more Bodybuilders, or they are more famous than WSM guys?

Bodybuilder deaths are more recent, or is that more of an unfortunate coincidence than it is a meaningful trend?

B.M.I. doesn't factor in body fat % ... it just describes how much living tissue the heart and other organs have to support. Which sport, if either, has the greater disadvantage here?

Which group "feeds" in greater excess?

Presumably both sports include aas use, but do Bodybuilders use more of other PEDs? Only during Prep, or year-round?

Long ago WSM deaths occurred before COVID, as did any Bodybuilder deaths before 2020. There's been talk of COVID vaccines causing clotting, but does anyone know which Bodybuilders were vaxxed and which were not?

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Good thread, RD...I've also contemplated the same thing...Just in my little ole humble opinion, I "feel" as though BB'ing (ers) are "singled out"?....Why?....I have no clue?!....

Maybe people are "afraid" of muscle?....:confused::rolleyes:

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
That would be a good question to get answered... how many were vaxed. I would be intrigued to see that.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Don’t forget Johnny Perry, heart attack at 30.
massive size puts a strain on the heart whether as a strongman or 600lb life competitor. Perrys favorite was then and gh but he also used a lot of stimulants. Couldn’t have helped

how is Marius Pudszinowski still alive?

Last edited:
JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
This is a awesome thread. Thank you for starting this.
Even before Covid there were a lot of deaths among bodybuilders and I just asked myself why. @monsoon made an excellent point. Heart strain. Whether you are all muscle or just pure fat, the heart has a lot of work to do when significantly overweight. AAS for sure plays a role with the different cycles also causing strain.

Another point is hemoglobin and hemacrit levels also elevated in people that use AAS. Pumping motor oil through the body is going to cause strain. Can’t also forget if any of these individuals have high blood pressure or cholesterol.

I really don’t see the vaccine being any sort of indicator for causing death in bodybuilding as these issues and deaths were still happening before Covid.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
For curiosities sake it would be nice to know who was vaccinated and who wasn't.

I will have to agree though, lots of deaths throughout the years. I wouldn't assume any of them did get the vaccine without knowing for sure. I'm as anti (covid) vax as they come but don't want to put blame on it if it's not the case.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic