Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Pre, intra, post, nutrition around training

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Simple little thread here. I've been doing the same shit for so long I wouldn't mind hearing how others approach meals and supps around training.

I have two ways. Bulk, I usually have a protein shake before I leave for the gym and a couple bananas on the drive.

When I get there, weather I use slin or not (not here recently) I have an intra shake of protein and carbs. I still have it without slin, I figure if the best time to blast our muscles with protein and carbs are during the workout with slin, I don't see why it wouldn't still be a great time to have the protein and carbs without it.

The carbs from the shake and bananas boost natty slin as well during training. Obviously not like an injection before hand.

Cutting I don't run more than 30 - 35 carbs a day. I do a protein shake just before I leave and drink another one during the workout.

Cut or bulk I usually drink lots of water during training and eat a solid meal an hour to an hour and a half after training.

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
I pretty much have the same ritual-a scoop of whey iso and a peice of fruit pre workout and pwo another scoop of whey and will try to eat within 30 mins

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Putting this here more as a question than as a suggestion ... wanna see what others think:

In the absence of slin, I read somewhere that including a small amount of plain old sugar in a shake will cause an endogenous insulin spike and thereby increase uptake of whatever protein and/or carbs you want for pre, intra, or post workout feeding. Pieces of fruit mentioned already might provide the same benefit ... the sugar is just another slightly more convenient option ... or does the downside outweigh the benefit?

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Putting this here more as a question than as a suggestion ... wanna see what others think:

In the absence of slin, I read somewhere that including a small amount of plain old sugar in a shake will cause an endogenous insulin spike and thereby increase uptake of whatever protein and/or carbs you want for pre, intra, or post workout feeding. Pieces of fruit mentioned already might provide the same benefit ... the sugar is just another slightly more convenient option ... or does the downside outweigh the benefit?

I would say, besides sugar being a "processed" item (supposedly is bad for u),it should work?!...Take a look-see at this article and conjure up an opinion on it?....

Take note of the article bringing out that the rate of digestion (speed),is dependent upon what combination of food is taken in...So, with that being said, I would say to eat the sugar first and give it 30mins or so to circulate then eat my meal?....This is definitely an OPINION, just "layman" at this stuff!...

"When proteins are consumed with carbohydrates, it takes longer for the digestive system
to break down that meal. This means that the sugar created from those carbohydrates is released at a slower rate,
preventing spikes in both blood sugar and insulin."

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I train on an empty stomach. Mind you I eat a full meal just before bed every night, so there's plenty of stored energy available.

I drink a homemade pre-workout concoction: This is mainly for NO production and Lactate clearance intra.
Beet Powder
AAKG
Citruline malate
Greens
BCAAs/EAAs
Agmatine
Guarana

I sip BCAA/EAA drink intra. 10g/5g

Post, I eat a large meat/pasta/fat meal anything from Pulled Pork & Mac'n'Cheese to Pizza. This meal is a free for all and the biggest any day I train.

After years of the "anabolic window" stuff and insulin timing etc...this way keeps me full, athletic (as opposed to bloated BB eating) and right at my ideal BW of 210lbs. I'm no longer the biggest guy in the room but I'm bigger than 90% and the biggest on a Mountain Bike any day lol.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . Take a look-see at this article and conjure up an opinion on it?....

Take note of the article bringing out that the rate of digestion (speed),is dependent upon what combination of food is taken in...So, with that being said, I would say to eat the sugar first and give it 30mins or so to circulate then eat my meal?....This is definitely an OPINION, just "layman" at this stuff!...

"When proteins are consumed with carbohydrates, it takes longer for the digestive system
to break down that meal. This means that the sugar created from those carbohydrates is released at a slower rate,
preventing spikes in both blood sugar and insulin."

I hate when I'm asked to conjure up an opinion because it often leads other people to conjure up an old saying about what my opinion reminds them of, but ... since you asked :), here are a couple:

The authors of that PubMed piece are probably opinionating about dietary means of promoting optimum health and longevity. My sugar question, and perhaps other posts that will be in this thread, might be more about dietary means of promoting the workout-induced results we all want. The two goals are not necessarily the same, and might even be counterproductive if an individual is hardcore enough.

The trick is to find the sweet spot (there, I said it) between the health/longevity goal and the strength/size goal I guess. Since TID has a few guys past their 20s and 30s, I am willing to bet many have experienced evolving goals and methods over time.

This should be an interesting thread.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I train on an empty stomach. Mind you I eat a full meal just before bed every night, so there's plenty of stored energy available.

I drink a homemade pre-workout concoction: This is mainly for NO production and Lactate clearance intra.
Beet Powder
AAKG
Citruline malate
Greens
BCAAs/EAAs
Agmatine
Guarana

I sip BCAA/EAA drink intra. 10g/5g

Post, I eat a large meat/pasta/fat meal anything from Pulled Pork & Mac'n'Cheese to Pizza. This meal is a free for all and the biggest any day I train.

After years of the "anabolic window" stuff and insulin timing etc...this way keeps me full, athletic (as opposed to bloated BB eating) and right at my ideal BW of 210lbs. I'm no longer the biggest guy in the room but I'm bigger than 90% and the biggest on a Mountain Bike any day lol.

I follow the same plan for intra. I make my own pre using Citrulline maleate, creatine, beta alanine & 1/2 a flavor packet like what you would dump in a water bottle. I use to break a caffeine capsule open & drop the powder in too but I recently cut all stims.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011

The short answer is yes.

Carbs will spike exogenous insulin, the faster the carbs (sugar) the higher the spike.

You don't need a bunch of sugar/fast carbs to spike so not a big downside to it.

Some years back on weeks that I was on a budget, I would mix extra orange gatorade powder with vanilla whey for the spike.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
I eat real food about 1.5 hours before my training, usually pasta and meat , 1400 calories
I use an EAA intra drink that has 25 g of carbs
Post work out its 2 scoops of weigh protein and 2 rice cakes with jam and I take a 2 iu GH
1.5 hours post work out and post work out snack is another full meal.

Try and keep it simple.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I have tried most all of the "latest, greatest, biggest and best pre and post workout theories on nutrition and have not found fior me myself that there is anything working any better or worse than not going in so hungry that I cannot focus and having something with a good source of protein in it that is easily assimilated within the hour after training, (ie: whey protein shake is my default)
That is just what works for little ole me and doesn't complicate things too much, I am not competing on a stage other than the stage of LIFE and in that arena I seem to be faring well :D
Keep it simple and train HARD

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
I use to use pre, intra and post workout shakes and supplements religiously, but I gave it up b/c the cost to benefit ratio wasn't there for me and it was a pain in the ass to keep up with. Also I hated that swishing and sloshing sensation in my gut after drinking all that fluid. I actually enjoy training on semi empty stomach these days.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I use to use pre, intra and post workout shakes and supplements religiously, but I gave it up b/c the cost to benefit ratio wasn't there for me and it was a pain in the ass to keep up with. Also I hated that swishing and sloshing sensation in my gut after drinking all that fluid. I actually enjoy training on semi empty stomach these days.
We are really old what the hell could we know?;)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic