Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Powerlifting routine for a beginner

S

Slag

Apr 21, 2011
I am looking to focus on powerlifting or increasing my three mainlifts when I start bulking after my cut, does anyone know of a good beginner powerlifting routine that's either a

powerlifting or powerbuilding split? I am really looking to get my lifts up!

Current stats

age 20 weight 201 height 6'3 I have been lifting for 3 months

Bench: 185 x 6 using 1MR calculator = 214 1RM

Deadlift: 275 x 6 using 1MR Calculator = 319 1RM

Squat (below parrellel): 225 x 4 using 1MR Calculator = 245 1RM

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Try Wendler's 5-3-1 Routine. I think that would be a good place for you to start.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^This, or the 5x5 for beginners. Smart move, by the way. Train for strength, and the size will follow.

S

Slag

Apr 21, 2011
Was looking at Wendler and 5x5, I think I will start with 5x5

Workout A

Squats 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
(Maybe Barbell Curl 3x8)

Workout B

Squats 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
(Dips 3x failure)

I was wondering doing squats 3x a week I feel like I would become bottom heavy since my quads when flexed now already have the side bump and bottom bump, Would it be ok to just hit it once a week and go from there?

Also could I add barbell curls 5x5 or 3x8 and maybe dips and side laterals as well?

Also should I wait till I am done cutting to start or start during my cut?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
First off bro, you asked for a beginner routine, so you should stick with the absolute bare minimum 5x5 workout. Do your main three lifts, 5x5, with the proper weight as outlined for the 5x5 beginner program, and DON'T add any other exercises. Secondly, squats are a staple of any training program, and you get more out of them than just leg size and strength. Keep the squats in the routine 3 days per week, and like I said, do it exactly as it says, you will not be unhappy with the results. The first time I did the 5x5 correctly, ie not overtraining by adding shit, I gained 8 pounds of lean mass and a shit-ton of strength in like 6 weeks, all natural. You will too, IF you do it correctly and don't try to change a time-honored routine.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
I think Bill Star's 5x5 is best for you and when this wears off in like 8 to 12 months either go Westside or 5,3,1 But do not do a singles rep program until your stronger you need volume and this will come from doing tripples until you miss and only can get 2 or 5x5.

But on the 5x5 do not heavy deadlift like they ask you too every week this is just plain stupid and after a while it will effect your training in a negative way deadlift heavy once a month and substitute the other weeks with Good Mornings, lighter versions of the deadlift like Romanians or Stiff legged, Zercher Squats or even a leg press it will aid the deadlift.

Bill Star 5x5 will even have a exl. doc that will tell you what exact lifts you need to do and the amount of weight and this is BEST for YOU!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic