Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Powerlifting Exercises( Upper Body)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I would probably start with just the bar and the 10 lb training wheels. No ego here. They will look like shit I can accept that.

I have some threads on here to properly perform assisting lifts.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I have some threads on here to properly perform assisting lifts.

Thanks BI I will dig them up. We have a couple oly coaches at my gym I can ask too. I am only even considering this now that I am lighter and more mobile.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks BI I will dig them up. We have a couple oly coaches at my gym I can ask too. I am only even considering this now that I am lighter and more mobile.

I'd recommend you only perform assisting lifts ie. snatch pulls, snatch high pulls, clean pulls, clean high pulls. You can perform them from the floor, from the hang, or from the blocks. From the blocks and hang will work on speed moreso than from the floor. Also it's much easier to get in position when starting above the floor. You also know oly style front squats are another great Oly assisting lift. No need for OH squats, drop snatch, or the classical lifts. You don't need to perform the 3rd pull (pulling yourself under the bar) which is the last portion of the classical lift. It's made up of the first pull... floor to knee. second pull... knee to hips (this is MOST important portion b/c this is where you generate the power). third pull.... pulling yourself under the bar aka receiving the bar. You can work speed just fine and only perform the first and second pull.

Make sure you perform the lifts with your Oly shoes on and use bumpers. Hopefully, your gym has an Oly bar to use as well b/c it does make a difference.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Yeah we have all the Oly shizzle. Koklov visited and gifted us a bunch of bumper plates recently too.

I am not sure if from the floor is a great idea for me. I would mostly work off blocks. I pull sumo because I have a back injury (from snatch grip pulls btw) so conventional pulling hurts like hell. I am more interested in hip power anyway

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah we have all the Oly shizzle. Koklov visited and gifted us a bunch of bumper plates recently too.

I am not sure if from the floor is a great idea for me. I would mostly work off blocks. I pull sumo because I have a back injury (from snatch grip pulls btw) so conventional pulling hurts like hell. I am more interested in hip power anyway

From the blocks is great b/c it takes the first pull out of the lift so you start with the second pull and therefore it's 0 to explode in less than a sec. Personally, I'll just put clean pulls and snatch pulls from blocks and from the hang in my training.

I'd also recommend keeping the reps low.... ie. 1 to 3 reps. This is all about form so you have to be mentally sharp as well as physically sharp with each and every rep.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
From the blocks is great b/c it takes the first pull out of the lift so you start with the second pull and therefore it's 0 to explode in less than a sec. Personally, I'll just put clean pulls and snatch pulls from blocks and from the hang in my training.

I'd also recommend keeping the reps low.... ie. 1 to 3 reps. This is all about form so you have to be mentally sharp as well as physically sharp with each and every rep.

I cant hold a clean grip at the top. Am I gonna destroy my shoulders and elbows? I just can't rack the bar. I tried a while back and it's not muscle tightness. It's the angle of my elbows to wrists.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I cant hold a clean grip at the top. Am I gonna destroy my shoulders and elbows? I just can't rack the bar. I tried a while back and it's not muscle tightness. It's the angle of my elbows to wrists.

You won't hurt your shoulder or your elbows b/c you'll remove the 3rd pull from the lift and that will remove the possibility altogether.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Oly lifts are great......... for oly lifters.

I do train them a little bit in my off season, but only with very light weights. Same for most top lifters - although most never do them. They're crap for athletes too. Fun to do but a waste of time.

It's true that learning the oly lifts makes for faster and stronger athletes, but there's a HUGE learning curve to get them down properly. It's not worth the time when you can teach the same things through more accessible modalities.
I spend a lot of time performing similar movements with kettlebells - per the advice of Donnie Thmpson - but they are way easier and much less technical.

Honestly though, it's besides the point in this thread. The 3 movements for powerlifters are pretty well known. 80% of your training should be spent doing a variation of one of these three..... maybe even more. Hell, I got my first pro total training two days a week and doing ONLY the big 3 and abs. That's it. I'd program them to work weak points but it'd always be some simple variation of the big 3. Not even a specialty bar. No chains..... heck, it took us 2 years to convince Ernie Frantz to let us keep bench press boards in the gym.

All of this stuff is great but it's not worth arguing over. It's accessory work. Find out your weak points and run accessory work to address them. It's that simple.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oly lifts are great......... for oly lifters.

I do train them a little bit in my off season, but only with very light weights. Same for most top lifters - although most never do them. They're crap for athletes too. Fun to do but a waste of time.

It's true that learning the oly lifts makes for faster and stronger athletes, but there's a HUGE learning curve to get them down properly. It's not worth the time when you can teach the same things through more accessible modalities.
I spend a lot of time performing similar movements with kettlebells - per the advice of Donnie Thmpson - but they are way easier and much less technical.

Honestly though, it's besides the point in this thread. The 3 movements for powerlifters are pretty well known. 80% of your training should be spent doing a variation of one of these three..... maybe even more. Hell, I got my first pro total training two days a week and doing ONLY the big 3 and abs. That's it. I'd program them to work weak points but it'd always be some simple variation of the big 3. Not even a specialty bar. No chains..... heck, it took us 2 years to convince Ernie Frantz to let us keep bench press boards in the gym.

All of this stuff is great but it's not worth arguing over. It's accessory work. Find out your weak points and run accessory work to address them. It's that simple.

I think something should be cleared up... the classical lifts are ie. snatch, clean & jerk are extremely difficult to perform and take many years to perfect. On the other hand the assisting lifts are much easier to learn as well as place less stress on certain joints of the lifter. I'm not sure where you come up with the... they're crap for athletes too comment. They're far from crap... just b/c you don't like them doesn't mean they don't have a great deal of carryover and help athletes. If you've tried to teach yourself that may be why you have the view you do.

As for PLers not performing them... well, I disagree with that. Front Squats are an Oly assisting lift and just about ALL Plers are jumping on the let's do them bandwagon b/c they realize they'll help with their big 3. I also read about many PLers performing high bar, narrow stance Oly style back squats ... b/c they have quite a bit of carryover when it comes to increasing the big 3.

I agree that if you're not an Oly lifter you really shouldn't perform snatches or C&J's, but I don't believe that holds true for Oly assisting lifts.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I think something should be cleared up... the classical lifts are ie. snatch, clean & jerk are extremely difficult to perform and take many years to perfect. On the other hand the assisting lifts are much easier to learn as well as place less stress on certain joints of the lifter. I'm not sure where you come up with the... they're crap for athletes too comment. They're far from crap... just b/c you don't like them doesn't mean they don't have a great deal of carryover and help athletes. If you've tried to teach yourself that may be why you have the view you do.

As for PLers not performing them... well, I disagree with that. Front Squats are an Oly assisting lift and just about ALL Plers are jumping on the let's do them bandwagon b/c they realize they'll help with their big 3. I also read about many PLers performing high bar, narrow stance Oly style back squats ... b/c they have quite a bit of carryover when it comes to increasing the big 3.

I agree that if you're not an Oly lifter you really shouldn't perform snatches or C&J's, but I don't believe that holds true for Oly assisting lifts.

Fair enough..... I took it as just the two classical lifts - which I feel are crap just because the learning curve takes so much time that could be better used with less technical movements.

Front squats are great, so are oly squats. I use both to build my deadlift ( I pull conventional)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic