Latest Member
lk has no balls

Powerlifting Exercises( Upper Body)

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Speaking of Oly lifters and jumping.

I was watching a video on youtube a while back and they had a couple athletes competing to see who could jump the highest onto a box. An Oly lifter was one of the participants.

And who won? ..... The Oly Lifter.

This guy jumped on some plates that were stacked on a box and they were almost the same height as him.

What movements in their training allow them to have such an impressive vertical??

Well squatting for starters. But OLY lifters tend to be more explosive than a powerlifter will be. We do things to improve on that explosiveness but what we do is only partially about speed. Everything an Oly lifter does is about speed.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Well squatting for starters. But OLY lifters tend to be more explosive than a powerlifter will be. We do things to improve on that explosiveness but what we do is only partially about speed. Everything an Oly lifter does is about speed.

It's actually not the squatting that makes them have the "ups". It's the Oly lifts themselves that give you the vertical gains.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
It's actually not the squatting that makes them have the "ups". It's the Oly lifts themselves that give you the vertical gains.

Yeah that's what I said. Where I say squatting I meant for PL. Then go on to describe Oly and state "everything they do is for speed"

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah that's what I said. Where I say squatting I meant for PL. Then go on to describe Oly and state "everything they do is for speed"

POB, have you ever thought about putting in some Oly assisting lifts in your training? like... snatch pulls, snatch high pulls, snatch pulls from blocks, snatch pulls from hang, etc... I'm thinking of putting them back in to get "fast" again.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
POB, have you ever thought about putting in some Oly assisting lifts in your training? like... snatch pulls, snatch high pulls, snatch pulls from blocks, snatch pulls from hang, etc... I'm thinking of putting them back in to get "fast" again.

Beastislav wants to at some point. Maybe in the next training cycle I might try.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Speed kills. All plers. Could benefit from more explosive training imo.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Beastislav wants to at some point. Maybe in the next training cycle I might try.

I'm thinking of putting them back in on my 4th day. Remember though the name of the game is speed so if it's slow.... lower the weight. Also, form is crucial.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I'm thinking of putting them back in on my 4th day. Remember though the name of the game is speed so if it's slow.... lower the weight. Also, form is crucial.

I would probably start with just the bar and the 10 lb training wheels. No ego here. They will look like shit I can accept that.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic