Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Powerbuilding?

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
I've switched to what people call powerbuilding. I have been training like this for the past few months and I want to share some numbers with you so you can tell me what you think. I am 5'11" weight around 205-207lbs and probably 13-14%bf and these numbers are without AAS.

Bellow parallel squat: 400lbs for 4 reps (I need to work on this a lot)

Deadlift: 500lbs for a single but i feel i could have done more. (With straps)

Shoulder press: 220lbs for a single

Bench press: 310lbs for 4 reps and 200lbs for 18 reps (I never was a strong bench presser)

Power clean: I haven't done them in quite a while but the last time i did a triple on 255lbs

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Those numbers are excellent!

Don't know much about powerbuilder.

Just know bodybuilding and am learning powerlifting.

As I said those numbers are pretty great!

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks bull!!! I am interested in competitive powerlifting but I have to get a lot stronger first and cut my weight down to 195-196lbs to change category.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Don't worry about your bodyweight. Just work on getting stronger and find a meet near you and do it.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You can do a water cut and make weight by friday. Don't worry about how strong you are. Learn how to peak and find a meet. It's your first. Just get in the books and make progress from there.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
I don't get this concept I must admit.

Is the basis PL plus BB accessories? Unsure how that differs from a regular, balanced PL program.

But really, what BI and POB said.

Reactions: MJR
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I don't get this concept I must admit.

Is the basis PL plus BB accessories? Unsure how that differs from a regular, balanced PL program.

But really, what BI and POB said.

Me neither. I hate the word powerbuilder. It's basically a name for bodybuilders who aren't pussies and lift heavy shit or PL who run programs like 531 that have rep work after squats bench deads.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Powerbuilder is just the name bodybuilders came up with b/c they don't want to call themselves PLers....

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Powerbuilder is just the name bodybuilders came up with b/c they don't want to call themselves PLers....

After a long break out of the gym, I lifted mostly in a vacuum since I was working out at home alone. I was surprised when I joined a "real" gym, just how weak some bigger guys are. I trained most of my life naturally and always focused on getting stronger and let the rest happen. It worked well for me and in my opinion, it is the most effective way to train when not using AAS.

With the addition of anabolics, the rules of what it takes to grow shift dramatically. You see "bodybuilding" type guys doing endless volume, drop sets and tons of fatigue training with sub maximal weights and grow like crazy. These same guys have (at best) mediocre strength levels.

It is my opinion that heavy training is still the best way to grow muscle (while relying least on external supplementation). I think that is kind of what "powerbuilding" is. I dont see myself as either a powerlifter, or a bodybuilder. I have decent strength for a guy my size, and I stay in the 10%bf range. Part of me wonders with my numbers 198 over 1600, just what I could do carrying more weight. But, I also know that I dont feel good that heavy. And, I am not happy with the way I look.

I dont call myself a "powerbuilder", but I guess it fits better than the other two labels. I am just a guy who likes to lift heavy crap for fun and wants to look and feel good. Any better labels out there?.....

BrutusMaximus

BrutusMaximus

Jul 8, 2013
I did a few cycles of Layne Norton's PHAT routine a while back, which I would consider to be a power building program. I put on some bulk and my lifts went up significantly. Recently I've been doing Jonnie Candito's 6 week program which also has hypertrophy/power elements.
I really enjoy these types of programs; I think they're a best-of-both-worlds kind of thing and they're quite effective.

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks to all for your responses. I don't like the term powerbuilding that much either but my workout routine is very high in volume, both in weights lifted as well as the overall set number. I can't really call it powerlifting training because it's a bodybuilding routine with emphasis on the big lifts. It's not like 5x5 or 5/3/1 or Westside training or anything like that.

I love how 5/3/1 looks on paper and I have tried it but i didn't like how little accessory work is done.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Not to get snarky, but according to many folks here, you can't call yourself a powerlifter unless you have competed. Maybe powerbuilding is a term that can be given to those who train like a powerlifter, but don't compete? :p

I did a few cycles of Layne Norton's PHAT routine a while back, which I would consider to be a power building program. I put on some bulk and my lifts went up significantly. Recently I've been doing Jonnie Candito's 6 week program which also has hypertrophy/power elements.
I really enjoy these types of programs; I think they're a best-of-both-worlds kind of thing and they're quite effective.
I was wondering if anyone here has tried Layne's program? Was it PHAT or PH3? Did you incorporate any BFR training (blood flow restriction training)?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic