Latest Member
Kiddorism

power clean numbers?

G

guinessforstrength

VIP Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hey all,
I've power lifted for years, but the last few years I've gotten into mma/Bjj. I still strength train the big 3 lifts, but recently have gotten into power cleans to help with explosive strength for my sport. What do you guys consider a respectable number for a 170 pound guy? My big 3 lifts are pretty good for my weight, but my power cleans are around 200 pounds with decent form. Anyone else do PCs and what r your numbers? Thanks as always

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
My friend lifts in the same weight class ( 77 kg ) as a junior weightlifter his PB is 140 kg ( 315 lb ) in the power clean .

For a weightlifter it's generally considered that a balanced lifter can clean 70- 75 % of their deadlift and power clean 80-90% of their clean . For you having a background as a powerlifter the ratio to deadlift is probably not a good indicator but I would estimate a respectable number for your weight and experience to be around 115 kg ( 255 lb ) .

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I haven't done powercleans in years. Kind of miss them now that you mention them.

Back when I was playing football and doing them all the time, I could hit 315 for anywhere from 3-5 weighing 220-235

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
A respectable number depends on many things. You power clean 200lbs than you should be able to squat clean well over 225lbs. Remember, Oly lifts are the most technically difficult lifts to master and most have not.

There is no correlation between a deadlift and a clean. The mechanics are not alike. Most actually have a hard time cleaning properly if they are deadlifting during that same time period. I'd suggest you not train them on the same day. If I was you, I'd have a day dedicated to the Oly lifts.

G

guinessforstrength

VIP Member
Sep 24, 2010
Thanks guys, yea they are new to me so my form is no where near perfect. My deadlift, depending on my routine, is always over 500. But my power clean seems pretty weak compared to your guys numbers. I'll definitely dedicate a day just for oly lifts and try to improve my form. Thx guys

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
To put it in perspective... Misha K. one of only a handful of people to ever C&J 250kg in a national level meet (Russian Nationals), pulled 920lbs conventional. So, you can see one lift doesn't guarantee a certain amount for the other lift.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic