Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Posture

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Not when related to training, the active thought and attention to posture is good in this case....

But I am apparently lazy, or maybe a creation from years of poor posture I just seem to have bad form in my daily life, and I'm trying to get it fixed before another birthday rolls around!

Any tips or tricks any have used to correct a lifetime of poorly standing/sitting is much appreciated...

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
my dad was a posture freak. he was always telling us, shoulders back, chest out, stomach in, tuck in your butt! as much as i hated it as a kid im very glad for it now. i like you have gotten a bit lazy with my posture but i always try to keep my shoulders back and my stomach pulled in! always! it is like it is ingrained in my nervous system. i slouch forward when im on the computer and i need to be more aware of keeping myself from doing that.

just like anything else we want to change, it takes conscious effort and a lot of hard work to do it. use one of those little reminder bracelets or something so that everytime you see it you remember to check your posture. it will make a huge difference in not only how you feel but in how others view you! i have a hard time respecting someone with poor posture but am drawn to those who hold themselves properly!

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
Besides aesthetics does it makes any real long term difference ?

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Long term correct posture will lead to stronger transverse abs tighter and therefore a flatter more toned and lifted stomach asthetically...

But my concern is in preventing long term back pain from incorrect posture, and injury that could have been prevented by having a stronger core and correct posture...

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Thanks ATW... I am actually mindful and strong in my posture when in social situations, it is when in the car(hard to sit straight either way) or when working alone, bending over and not keeping myself straight and tight like I should... I spend the majority of my day on the floor unsupported and tossing around two babies , as well as cleaning in the inbetween...

I have contemplated wrapping a tight string around my waist that would be uncomfortable when slouching and am really getting to the point of doing so... though now wondering if a headband wouldn't be easier :)

lymbo

lymbo

TID Lady Member
Dec 21, 2011
i have scoliosis so i have always paid attention to my posture...

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Poor posture is sort of like slow-moving poor-form lifting. Its not structurally & functionally correct so your body will start doing things to compensate for it. IMO as you get older, these sorts of things start to show themselves as you lose your 'recovery' ability to deal w/ them. Small deals become big deals.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
the best thing I can think of (and what I do since I am a computer jockey by trade) is to ALWAYS be mindful of posture....if I feel myself fall out of proper "form" I will correct and continue my day. It becomes a habit after a while, and I rarely have to self correct anymore, though the longer I am at the keyboard the easier it is to slip...

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Well thanks girls, i just slipped a headbands around my waist, looks goofy but maybe it'll be the constant reminder i need

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
I find my posture noticeably improves when I"m killing it on Deadlifts. When I start into contest prep, I really notice the difference. I think it also reflects your mood. Given I've been out of the gym for nearly a year w/ sporadic visits, it definitely shows.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
oh for sure! My posture improved dramatically (and my ability to notice small shifts in my posture) after I started deads...it definitely makes me more conscious of my "form" ;)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic