Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Post workout nutrition Question

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
What's better post-workout, carbs or protein?

Looking to kick things up a notch and wondering what's better for recovery...

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
In my experience, carbs make the biggest difference. I f you eat enough grams of protein per day, there's going to be ample amino acids in the blood stream. The insulin spike from a simple carb can shuttle those nutrients into the cell better than a whey shake or fast protein would. It doesn't have to be 100g of sugar either. I and my clients do well with as low as 25 up to 50g. A medium Rice Crispy treat works great or half a Pop-Tart.

Reactions: CFM
Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
..I'll ad that with the prevalence of Intra-workout formulas now, Post workout Pro is even less useful when you use a BCAA/EAA formula intra with Carbs immediately post.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I was thinking of doing some oats with whey mixed in or maybe just a few eggs post-workout.

I train in the morning before work so I need something quick and easy after I train.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
If you are having a hard time getting your food in for the day or looking to gain weight, then that is not a bad idea at all.

The thoughts of an "anabolic window" are really silly. Eat whenever you want. If you like to eat after you workout....great. If you wait till lunch (working out in the early AM) you will be fine and there will be zero difference. (unless you are adding those post wo cals on top of your normal intake, which in that case then you will begin gaining weight at whatever surplus you are eating. But....it would be the same as if you drank that same shake before bed. When you drink it....does not matter.

Disclaimer: Nutrient timing CAN be manipulated, specifically Carbs. (say by a bodybuilder prepping for a show at low BF levels).

For the vast majority of people, nutrient timing is irrelevant. Much above 10% bf you have TONS of energy available to your body in several forms and when you ingest carbs wont have much an impact.

SpaceOddity

SpaceOddity

Aug 29, 2018
What's better post-workout, carbs or protein?

Looking to kick things up a notch and wondering what's better for recovery...
Protein coupled with carbs. In my opinion the best choice is to get full meal

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Liquid protein in the form of egg whites and Whey Iso with an insulin releasing fast and medium carb.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic