Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Post Show Write up

GaryG68

GaryG68

Jul 19, 2022
So, first pic is of the weight I was on the morning before, morning of, and the morning after the show last Saturday. Pic 2 is my weight this morning, rest are today's post shoulder/triceps workout, the first one after taking 6 days off post show. If I didn't know any better, I look bigger and may have peaked AFTER the show, which can happen.

I'm now in the beginning stages of the post show rebound. I am definitely a little bloated in the stomach area but not too terrible and I am holding onto a TON of water, especially in my feet and ankles, the swelling varies day to day but it is obvious.

My last workout was last Thursday the 28th, and my post show recovery plan started Sunday. I took off from working out, counting last Thursday, to yesterday for a total of 6 days of rest. I began increasing calorie intake on Sunday, going from last week's 1700-1900/day to 3300-3500/day, to begin putting much needed body weight back on and increasing my body fat % so I can start gaining muscle again.
I was told I looked to be around 6% at the time of the show, and for men it is is very difficult to grow muscle with anything below 8% so I have added mass gainer shakes 2-3x a week to my current diet for those extra calories and carbs.

The info I gained from this amazing experience is invaluable. I flew by the seat of my pants for most of the prep, nutritionally speaking, and looking back at it now I may have gone "too far" although I was told "no, you did it right." I personally feel I could have come in 210 and still performed well, but the weight I came in at did have me looking like a Shredded Mini_Wheat and I ain't complaining.
I plan on sticking with the exact same foods I have been eating for over 2 years now, just increasing the amount to have more calories as mentioned. I plan on doing the 3300-3500/day till around the 28th of this month, then dropping down to 3000/day and hoping to maintain from there.

My workouts will be at 70-80% of my max till the 20th of this month, to reduce injury potential, then going back to full ham after that.

I want to thank EVERYONE who has supported me, commented on my pics, and complimented on how I look. It means so much to me and I sincerely appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_E0719.JPG
    IMG_E0719.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0723.PNG
    IMG_0723.PNG
    265.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0725.JPG
    IMG_0725.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 26
genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Great experience brother! I don't think anyone, even with the best coach, can nail their exact peak timing for their first show unless they had a chance to do a trial peak week and seen how the body reacts. Do you plan on doing another show?

GaryG68

GaryG68

Jul 19, 2022
Great experience brother! I don't think anyone, even with the best coach, can nail their exact peak timing for their first show unless they had a chance to do a trial peak week and seen how the body reacts. Do you plan on doing another show?
Thanks man. I never even intended to do this one honestly, but after I decided to the plan was to do one a year, you know, to improve on the previous year's showing.

My wife and I had a conversation not too long ago about it where she expressed her concerns and the discussion lasted all of about 10min. I honestly couldn't argue with her as her logic was rock solid so I agreed with her and said this would be a "one and done."

That being said...

The morning after the show we were sitting next to each other on the couch in the hotel room drinking coffee and she starts crying again, telling me how proud she is and how good I looked.

Then she hit me with it, in that "questioning" tone. "Do you think you would WANT to compete again?"

Now, in my head I had Admiral Ackbar screaming "IT'S A TRAP!!!" But I answered her honestly. I told her "I absolutely would, but I don't think I can put my body through it again." That answer was a half truth really.

If she were ever to tell me she would be ok with me doing another one, we would talk about it and I would keep her updated even more than I did during this prep, so she knows everything that is going on, just like she did for this one.

So...maybe?

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
LOL on the trap.
I'm not sure my husband enjoys me being in prep......LOL. He doesn't do the shows, only me. I think he likes the results :)

So glad you learned, and that is the biggest point of the journey. Plus you learn so much about your body physically and mentally LOL. What are her concerns for you doing a show? out of curiosity.

How were the competitors backstage? Im very friendly at the comps, and some girls are not so friendly, but you create a neat comradery backstage with some competitors and meet nice people. That part is neat too.

For your first show, i think you rocked it for sure! For me, it is posing that i really need to work on. I should give myself more time, or spend more time.

GaryG68

GaryG68

Jul 19, 2022
LOL on the trap.
I'm not sure my husband enjoys me being in prep......LOL. He doesn't do the shows, only me. I think he likes the results :)

So glad you learned, and that is the biggest point of the journey. Plus you learn so much about your body physically and mentally LOL. What are her concerns for you doing a show? out of curiosity.

How were the competitors backstage? Im very friendly at the comps, and some girls are not so friendly, but you create a neat comradery backstage with some competitors and meet nice people. That part is neat too.

For your first show, i think you rocked it for sure! For me, it is posing that i really need to work on. I should give myself more time, or spend more time.
Her concerns stem from the fact that I got back into working out for longevity, to be around for her and the kids as I age. The contest prep as I dieted down is, as you know, strain on the body especially if you go about it the way that I did.

Another concern was the expense, the gear I ran for this adds up, not to mention the possible physical side effects you can have from it.

The competitors were cool, there were a few I spoke with throughout the day, a few of them commented on how few competitors were at this show, MAYBE 50-60 in TOTAL, men and women, across all the divisions/classes.

Word is this show hasn't been held since 2019 because of Covid and at one time it was one of THE shows you competed in, one guy mentioned one year there were a few hundred competitors entered.

I started following a few of the sponsors on Instagram, and one of them is actually on my way home, I stopped in Monday and spent some cash on a local business, the kid that was working the merch table was there and remembered me, spent like 40min there buying and bullshitting.

Another one of the sponsors also competed and he and I been going back and forth on Insta throwing praise at each other, he's a good guy.

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
I appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks bro!!

Pooh6369

Pooh6369

Oct 13, 2019
Really inspired to read, thank you for taking the time to post thru out you prep, and post show posts!

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Great summary, I enjoyed following your progress. Keep up the great work!!

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
Great job! The knowledge and experience you gained from that is something you can take with you and apply to every aspect of your health and fitness journey. You learn so much about your body going through that.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic