Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Posing Music...

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
I am kinda wigging out over the whole posing thing...I am having trouble figuring out just how to fill 60-90 seconds with suitable posing. Seriously, I have all of these poses I want to include, but putting them together to the music is gonna be a challenge LOL..methinks I could use a choreographer LOL.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
I am kinda wigging out over the whole posing thing...I am having trouble figuring out just how to fill 60-90 seconds with suitable posing. Seriously, I have all of these poses I want to include, but putting them together to the music is gonna be a challenge LOL..methinks I could use a choreographer LOL.

There are some good BB choreographers out there. I like Michelle Brent's work. And she's one of the sweetest people I've ever met.

I will repeat that if you're doing an NPC show, your chances of needing to do a 90 sec routine is about zero. JMHO. Expect more like 45-60 sec.

An easy way to start building a routine is to start w/ your mandatories in quarter turns. I.e.:

- Decide first if you want them to start the music w/ you walking from the side of the stage, or w/ you already at center stage. (And indicate it on your CD and talk to the sound guy when you are lining up for your round.)

- Start facing front:
-- Front dbl bi
-- front lat
-Qtr turn to the right (facing side)
-- side chest
-- side tri
-Qtr turn to the rear
-- rear dbl bi
-- rear lat
- Qtr turn to the right (facing side)
-- side chest
-- side tri
- Qtr turn back to the front
-- abs & thighs
-- whatever else

You can cut out or insert whatever you want on each quarter turn. This covers all of the mandatories and additionally leaves you option to insert whatever fav poses you have, or exclude the ones you don't like, since the whole point of the free pose is to present your best stuff.

My general guidance is to hold each pose for a 3-count (i.e. 1-one thousand, 2-one thousand, 3-one thousand). This helps pace you to avoid losing track of where you are in the music (also if the sound system chokes in the middle of it or skips & you lose your music cues), and also keeps you from going too fast or too slow. I tend to go too fast when I'm onstage so this keeps things in order. It also paces you so you can actually finish your routine where the music ends instead of looking like they just shut off the music & you weren't done yet. Everyone wants that dramatic end! And lastly, it means that anyone taking photos can get a clean shot. I think of every pose as a photo-op, so hold it accordingly.

So w/ this guidance, if you follow the quarter turn approach, all you need to do is work on smooth transitions in your quarter turns & from pose to pose and you can generally expect to get in 7-8 clean poses in 60 seconds.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
thanks sassy! If I don't get my routine nailed down I may use this very method LOL. I do have a posing coach I am going to work with, so hopefully he can be helpful with the routine...I know the main poses that I want to present and just need to figure out the transitions and timing with the music (which I still haven't gotten trimmed to my liking LOL).

mrsr05

mrsr05

TID Lady Member
Apr 12, 2012
just an aside, ( and i defer to sassy in all matters of competition) but when i competed in november it was an NPC show and it was prequalifier, we actually did get the entire 90 seconds... fwiw...but again... listen to sassy first!

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
This one has allowed the 90sec since Chad and Kim have been promoting it....and yeah...Kim Chevesky(sp) lol....I was excited to meet her last year....was a huge disappointment. She was nice...just had let herself go...

mrsr05

mrsr05

TID Lady Member
Apr 12, 2012
shan she didnt "let" herself go imo, she came off gear and that is soooooooooooo difficult to deal with..i am going through it now.... def not to the extent kim c is..i am NOT comparing myself to her... she is epic... she is quintissential.... but my point is that when you are on point gear makes such a huge difference...

she didnt let herself go... she just got bak to being a girl.....

i am coming off all supplements and headed back to being a girl and it makes me want to vomit.... :(

Last edited:
shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
I dunno....I didnt look too bad before gar...she just looks like she hasnt worked out in a few years...I understand aging and all...just kinda expected a lil more fitness out of her. She is super nice and has been busy raising a family...so I can see she has changed her focus ...it was just a shock to me.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
just an aside, ( and i defer to sassy in all matters of competition) but when i competed in november it was an NPC show and it was prequalifier, we actually did get the entire 90 seconds... fwiw...but again... listen to sassy first!

I'm surprised. I've had all my routines chopped to 60 sec or less in the last 5 years. I guess its just worth asking the promoter of your specific show - not just what it says on the entry form, but literally call and ask so you are prepared.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
I agree, I did talk to Chad, albiet via email since that is how we had talked before.

I do wonder tho...seems 60 is plenty for me...bit I will figure out a good balance based on the song cut and how that goes

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic