ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
^^^ LOL!!! I await the continuation...

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
until a boy goes through puberty any resistance training is not only not reccomended, but pointless to the edge of being dangerous to young joints, ligaments and tendons. that said, the only sups someone of that age needs is lots of fresh fruits and veggies. excess protein is not good for the liver and for micros, flintstone gummies would be just fine. err on the side of caution with kids, please.

Listen damoonz, I'm not arguing the statement about "err[ing] on the side of caution with kids". I agree with that. But it is old, outdated information about lifting weights being bad for a developing child. Lifting weights with bad form is bad for anybody, not just kids, so the key is to be an active part of the child's lifting endeavors.

I'm not going to waste my time posting articles of research that has blown your contentions to bits, Google will be your friend with that if you don't believe me.

Just use some common sense..... should we keep children from working in the backyard with their dad? from picking up tree limbs while they're exploring with their friends? from helping their mother carry in groceries? etc etc etc. See where I'm going with that? As long as the child has a good mentor, aka father/brother/mother/uncle, to help them learn form and appropriate weight, it will only help them in life.

One last thing I'll leave you with. Ever heard of farmboy strong or country strong? Why do think those phrases exist? I'll tell you why. Because those people that earn that moniker grew up carrying milk pails, baling hay, digging fence post holes, and performing a million other "natural" weight lifting movements, along with eating steak and chicken and potatoes, known as Grandma's diet.

I'm not even going to address the statement about protein.

pips

pips

MuscleHead
Jul 12, 2011
Listen damoonz, I'm not arguing the statement about "err[ing] on the side of caution with kids". I agree with that. But it is old, outdated information about lifting weights being bad for a developing child. Lifting weights with bad form is bad for anybody, not just kids, so the key is to be an active part of the child's lifting endeavors.

I'm not going to waste my time posting articles of research that has blown your contentions to bits, Google will be your friend with that if you don't believe me.

Just use some common sense..... should we keep children from working in the backyard with their dad? from picking up tree limbs while they're exploring with their friends? from helping their mother carry in groceries? etc etc etc. See where I'm going with that? As long as the child has a good mentor, aka father/brother/mother/uncle, to help them learn form and appropriate weight, it will only help them in life.

One last thing I'll leave you with. Ever heard of farmboy strong or country strong? Why do think those phrases exist? I'll tell you why. Because those people that earn that moniker grew up carrying milk pails, baling hay, digging fence post holes, and performing a million other "natural" weight lifting movements, along with eating steak and chicken and potatoes, known as Grandma's diet.

I'm not even going to address the statement about protein.

this is exactly right^^^^^^
not only is that info dated but leads to the lazyness that all parents are dealing with today.let me make this clear this post will piss some off and if u dont like the way i raise my boys too bad.i have 4 sons i claim only one mine.the twins are 19 now one in military and one is working 2 jobs.my other two are 10.now they all work there asses off mowing construction splitting and helping me sell firewood these boys work till they drop and are all ripped.there bodies are not pugey lazy video game boys.they eat 2x as much as normal kids all on protien in low doses my twins on bcaa and creatine.not a one has any issues and are all in top percentiles of there age groups as far as doc concerned.the days of dont let kids work or lift or ect are over its time we went back to the old ways of teaching these kids to work by the sweat on there brow.now all that said my kids have more cash than any kids i know and they know they earned every dime of it.my 10 year olds go shopping with $100 like nothing and people at register are shocked to see them having that kinda money.sorry about the rant guys but i am a firm believer in sports and work 4 kids and this it will hurt them crap has done nothing but make kids lazy.

pshnbgw8

pshnbgw8

MuscleHead
May 9, 2012
Thank u S.A.D, solid info and hopefully will help out other young kids in the future. Or I should say patents for there young kids in the future. Creatine and Protien and lots and lots of hatorade and water..Thx u everyone

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
If there's oen thing I feel kids should learn early it's proper form for chin ups, pull ups, and push ups. Doing these incorrectly can be DETRIMENTAL to their development even if the mistake is made later in life. Teach them the importance of manipulating their own body weight. All too often you see people who are trying to get back into shape who have never in their life done a pull up... imagine how that would feel not knowing you were once strong enough to lift your own body. It's these hopeless thoughts that drive people to failure. Positive experiences create just that.... "experience!"

I wish I knew at a young age what I know now.... and not just about weightlifting, everything! lol. I feel like if somone would have just given me the knowledge about how to better "prepare" for certain things then I could have avoided injuries, let downs, etc. So, I now devote a major part of my life to making sure that kids are properly prepared for the challenges they will face in life. Hey, I don't get paid for what I do and it takes up a good part of my time, but it would just kill me to not help kids out when they already possess the tools for success....you just need to show them that they are capable!

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
until a boy goes through puberty any resistance training is not only not reccomended, but pointless to the edge of being dangerous to young joints, ligaments and tendons. that said, the only sups someone of that age needs is lots of fresh fruits and veggies. excess protein is not good for the liver and for micros, flintstone gummies would be just fine. err on the side of caution with kids, please.

Wow couldn't be more wrong. Time to start doing more research before posting bucko.

pshnbgw8

pshnbgw8

MuscleHead
May 9, 2012
Wow couldn't be more wrong. Time to start doing more research before posting bucko.

So true. My son is fit for his age. Plays, soccer and baseball and does a well put together training program, 4-5 days a week. His only problem is eating enough but he is only 12. I just wasn't sure about supps like fish oil. But thanks to the vets, VIP members I know were to take it now. Oh and Mods.

pshnbgw8

pshnbgw8

MuscleHead
May 9, 2012
For some reason my phone doesn't show the thank you button. But thank u to alk the catagorys mentioned above

S

sartac

May 12, 2012
One thing I would've like to know as a teen is how to increase height potential. I'm 6'1"-6'2", but would have gladly taken things to grow taller, despite the obvious leverage disadvantages in proportionally tall folks. :p

There's ongoing research about the ability of SERM's, especially tamoxifen/nolvadex, to increase growth potential and effectively extend the pubescent growth window in boys. Then, there is controversy on whether SERM's or AI's are more effective in this goal. For example:
How To Increase Height Potential | LIVESTRONG.COM
The use of tamoxifen to improve height potential ... [Pediatrics. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI
Pharmacological management of children wit... [J Pediatr (Rio J). 2007] - PubMed - NCBI
etc.
And there's another board with a thread on "The effects of SERM's on Bone Growth & Final Height"

Perhaps conclusive data is out there now, this is just from a quick search.

I'm not suggesting 12 is a good age to consider these things, of if they're worth considering at all during puberty. Will only suggest that I would've jumped all on that shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
One thing I would've like to know as a teen is how to increase height potential. I'm 6'1"-6'2", but would have gladly taken things to grow taller, despite the obvious leverage disadvantages in proportionally tall folks. :p

There's ongoing research about the ability of SERM's, especially tamoxifen/nolvadex, to increase growth potential and effectively extend the pubescent growth window in boys. Then, there is controversy on whether SERM's or AI's are more effective in this goal. For example:
How To Increase Height Potential | LIVESTRONG.COM
The use of tamoxifen to improve height potential ... [Pediatrics. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI
Pharmacological management of children wit... [J Pediatr (Rio J). 2007] - PubMed - NCBI
etc.
And there's a thread on "The effects of SERM's on Bone Growth & Final Height"

Perhaps conclusive data is out there now, this is just from a quick search.

I'm not suggesting 12 is a good age to consider these things, of if they're worth considering at all during puberty. Will only suggest that I would've jumped all on that shit.

Honestly, I would have loved to gain two inches. I would've been dunking in high school! Big guy, no hops. I jump like a cinder block jumps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic