Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Planet Fitness removes squat racks for being ‘intimidating’

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Would've been cool if the alarms starting going off when he was throwing all of that shit around!

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
These Brothers tell it straight! Funny shit

Last edited by a moderator:
ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Hey let the morons have a place to train , they can have one penny month membership and ya won't see me there, but keep em out if the gym I train at

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390191322.043446.jpg

Know what I'm saying tho

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Planet fitness is for people who pretend to work out , not for serious people. Second class equipment that merely looks pretty, the whole concept of the pussification of America is personified there. People who can't understand what it takes to change your body can't discipline themselves or have patience . Even machines they have are designed to make exercise feel easy . Exercise is hard and painful - squats take effort and sweat . My gym isn't pretty but everything works , dumbells to 200lbs, 7 squat racks , 100 lb plates on every tree, free weight area three times size of machines . Three chin up stations , chalk tubs. , deadlft area etc. heavy metal plays on radio . No one under 18 admitted. No crossfit area lol.

FLBB89

FLBB89

MuscleHead
May 27, 2013
As someone who is majorly involved in venture capital in the fitness industry...this is what i wrote on this topic in another forum (prepare for wall of text):

Gyms are businesses that need to be profitable. We need to acknowledge our fitness preferences and goals are the vast minority and profitability lies in the Planet Fitness model. There is a reason it is one of the most successful and fastest growing fitness chains currently. There will always be niche, mom and pop style gyms that cater to people like us, but they are not taking in a percentage of the sales of a Planet Fitness.

I have considered investing in the startup of a Planet Fitness franchise. I just wouldn't work out there.

I have invested in two fitness franchises that i have controlling shares in. They both are fluffy, planet fitness style. Quite simply, they also do not have squat racks. But they are profitable because at the end of the day much of the sales in the fitness industry isnt about results, its about customer service and making people feel good. I have been approached to invest in bodybuilding style gyms, and I ran for the hills.

the other way to think about it - in this specific industry - is that there are plenty of ways to get in shape and feel better about one's self. Why does a gym have to have a squat rack or even free weights? Why can't somebody get in good shape using some "pussy" machines, jogging on a treadmill and bodyweight exercises and eating a calorie restricted diet? Why do are you against selling the "yuppie gym" environment? Is there something wrong with young, urban, professionals handing you their disposable income to lower their cholestrol, drop a couple inches off their waist and feel more confident about getting naked in front of their significant other? Or do they have to scream "lightweight baby" while squatting in a poorly ventilated dungeon or its not going to work?

FYI - I'm not directing this completely at you, SeniorJefe, because at least you agreed that these type of gyms can have a positive impact on people. I just don't understand the typical "hardcore" attitude toward gyms and gym goers as if you need a squat rack to get in shape and if you dont have a squat rack and db's that go up to 150lbs youre a pussy.

I guess I just don't see this as "pussification." I see this as progression toward a contemporary, money-making model. Its the current trend and our culture needs to recognize that we are a very, very small niche and the purpose of the fitness industry really is not to cater to "us." And again, I say this as someone with major investments IN the fitness industry.

The truth is, in the fitness industry, most people do not want to be around bodybuilders. Whether it is their perceived false notions or whether it actually makes them insecure, whatever, it is actually a major selling point to the average consumer not to have to be around "bodybuilders." So, if we are talking bringing in the most people, there will need to be some exclusionary planning done - for example, lacking extremely heavy dumbbells or only having one squat rack would work well.

But then again, we need to look at startup costs and cash flow. Places like Equinox, LA Fitness, etc are massive locations with tons of money in assets, maintenance, etc and huge startup costs and very steep franchise requirements. Also we are talking gigantic payroll and marketing expenses. An average Planet Fitness location is a fraction of the square footage, a fraction of the startup costs and the franchise requirements are pretty minimal (its like 500k in liquid assets between everyone invested) so chances are you will be in a positive cash flow situation pretty quick if you do it right.

All in all, it depends how you define success. Lots of businesses define success as making a killing off a niche/selective audience - which is where I see PF. $10 gym memberships with "no commitment," minimal square footage and the perfect marketing toward the gym newbie brings in a great cash flow if operated correctly.

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
I am thinking about going there and complain that the dumbells 45lbs and up are intimidating.. What a ****ing joke that place has become!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Thank god we don't have this excuse for a gym/franchise over here in NZ.

Sounds more like a prison than somewhere you go to workout.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Im thinking for ten bucks a month i may join just for the pizza . How often do they have pizza parties?

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm sure that the noises our kind make while eating would be enough to get us kicked out.

In all seriousness though, as a person who trains in a powerlifting gym. A real powerlifting gym for my powerlifting. I used to also keep a membership to a strongman gym to train that stuff..... hardcore places with monolifts, Iron Wolf bars, tires outside to flip, chalk everywhere, and usually a rottweiler or pit bull....

And from my perspective ALL commercial gyms look like this. To a guy training at a 24 hour fitness type of place it'd be really weak to not have a squat rack. To me it'd be really weak that commercial gym bars only hold 8 plates. How am I supposed to squat or deadlift? Where's the forza bench or logs to press? Could someone here tell me where you keep the nose tork or bench press boards?

Before anyone gets offended, it's all about goals.
If I wanted to be a bodybuilder I'd be fine training in a 24 hour fitness type of gym because I'd want tanning specials and not a monolift.
If I didn't want to compete and just wanted to be in great shape I'd go to a crossfit gym.
If I wanted to say that I went to the gym but would rather be playing video games then I'd join the cheapest, cleanest place I could find - like planet feelgoodfornoreason.

Honestly, when I'm on the road and nowhere near a powerlifting gym, or just looking for a light workout to flush out I'll seek out the sissy gyms as opposed to a bodybuilder-friendly gym.
I can go in for an hour, flush out, do cardio, and nobody bothers me. No bros want to ask about supplements. The equipment is usually clean and put where it belongs. And, day passes are usually cheap or free if you're polite.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic