Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Pixie Sticks and Gummy Bears post w/o?

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Anyone tried this or do it? Dextrose being a key in these ingredients causing the quick insulin spike, shuttling the nutrients to our muscles and depleted glycogen stores? Was reading and talking to someone about it. Theoretically it seems to make sense, what are your thoughts?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I did the dextrose thing for a couple years and it's hard to say. Smarties and Nerds are other options. In fact, I kept Nerds with me all the time when I did slin.

IMO, the effects could probably be decent if you were doing some super intense workouts, like Crossfit, Oly lifting, Crosstraining (Crossfit stole this and called it Crossfit, like they discovered something new...). When I train in the BBing sense, I would debate the effects are as beneficial vs just eating a carb meal before the gym. Granted, I realize BBers can do conditioning stuff, which would put it in to a slightly different category, but I think the benefits are greatly diminished by a good preworkout meal or even PWO that provides a variety of carbs.

alan.h.tank

alan.h.tank

Jul 1, 2014
A personal favourite of mine is to use dextrose powder in your shake post w/o within 20 minutes of finishing workout body utilises this faster than digesting the gummy bears etc but if your looking to burn more calories eat the gummy bears or pixie sticks then eat your post workout meal 60 minutes later.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
The only guy I know that did the pixie Stix religiously after training was a scrawny pussy. Yes there are other factors but that was enough to make me think it's probably not needed.

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
I do it pre. I usually eat a candy bar with a energy drink pre-workout and I can feel the difference in my workouts.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I experimented with smarties intra workout. They are 6g/ pack. I found that I could go up to 60g of dextrose intra with no negative effect that I usually experience with ingesting simple sugars alone. (usually crashes me).

I then just bought dextrose powder 10lbs at a time. Throughout my 4months cutting (and still going), I ingested 10g pre, 20intra (along with 10g leucine), and a post wo shake of 8oz apple juice 10g dextrose and 2 scoops whey. Been doing this a while now....and continuing on my quest to get leaner with no significant loss in mass or strength despite dropping 30+lbs. (still totaling mid 1600's at 196 lbs.) with nothing but trt dosing.

After I get to the point where I dont want to cut any longer (which is very close as I am pretty damn lean right now), I will begin adding more and more carbs intra and post workout. My experiment will be to work up to possibly 100g intra/post wo and see how it effects me.

This is a few weeks old,...even leaner now...changes almost daily at this point
2bc80b0b-7e74-4df1-a76f-d22583a1752b_zpswh8wt5rd.jpg

Last edited:
Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I have tried using candy as a pre workout because I can't have the actual powders, or drinks.

It works ok or not at all. I mean you get to eat some candy, so there's already a positive side here.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
I experimented with smarties intra workout. They are 6g/ pack. I found that I could go up to 60g of dextrose intra with no negative effect that I usually experience with ingesting simple sugars alone. (usually crashes me).I then just bought dextrose powder 10lbs at a time. Throughout my 4months cutting (and still going), I ingested 10g pre, 20intra (along with 10g leucine), and a post wo shake of 8oz apple juice 10g dextrose and 2 scoops whey. Been doing this a while now....and continuing on my quest to get leaner with no significant loss in mass or strength despite dropping 30+lbs. (still totaling mid 1600's at 196 lbs.) with nothing but trt dosing.After I get to the point where I dont want to cut any longer (which is very close as I am pretty damn lean right now), I will begin adding more and more carbs intra and post workout. My experiment will be to work up to possibly 100g intra/post wo and see how it effects me.This is a few weeks old,...even leaner now...changes almost daily at this point
2bc80b0b-7e74-4df1-a76f-d22583a1752b_zpswh8wt5rd.jpg
so you mix apple juice with your protein??? I am assuming this is un-flavored protein???

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
I have tried using candy as a pre workout because I can't have the actual powders, or drinks. It works ok or not at all. I mean you get to eat some candy, so there's already a positive side here.
I think this only works when your diet is in check... if you eat like shit it doesnt matter... your just eating more shit at this point... why cant you have dexstrose powder???

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
so you mix apple juice with your protein??? I am assuming this is un-flavored protein???

Apple juice is the perfect compliment for making any kind of smoothie tasting stuff.

My personal recipe for my post w/o shake is as follows....I will add more or less fruit and even some less juice to hit carb levels I desire.

8oz apple juice

Fruit:
1.5 cups whole frozen strawberries (not in simple syrup). Add more or less for flavor.
Sometimes I add frozen banana chunks as well, but they are more carb dense. They do add nice flavor and creamy texture though. (I buy bananas and cut in slices and freeze and then baggie for later use...let them freeze on their side or you will never peel them up ;) )

After adding the above, I fill my blender cup up to the 24oz mark with water which is about enough to make a very thick shake. Sometimes you have to add a touch more to get it to all blend smooth.

DO NOT PUT WHEY IN YET or it puts tons of air into shake.

After thoroughly blended, I add one scoop ON 100% whey strawberry banana flavor and one scoop pure unflavored isolate. (You can go with all unflavored or any vanilla tastes good as well.)
This is where I add dextrose if I am adding any.

I "pulse" this in being sure not to overblend.

That goes in my insulated container I take to the gym with me to have after I workout so by the time I get home I am ready to eat again. (I pick my daughter up from dance after I workout so it is about 45min-1hr from end of my workout till I make it home for dinner)

This is a GREAT container. Expensive....but WELL worth it. Dont regret dropping $40 on it at all. Plus I will use it for coffee sometimes away from home and will keep hot all day too! I got the one with the two tops and it works great. I use the flip up straw for my PWO shake and use the other lid for keeping things hot all day long. Best thermos you will ever buy. Link below pic.

71-sIWywXmL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Insulated-Sta...0&sr=1-2&keywords=32oz+insulated+water+bottle

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Hydro Flask out of Bend, OR ;) They are the best for sure.

I almost always get 15-30grams of any simple carb during my workouts. I used to after as well but I stopped doing that and can't tell the difference.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
Apple juice is the perfect compliment for making any kind of smoothie tasting stuff.My personal recipe for my post w/o shake is as follows....I will add more or less fruit and even some less juice to hit carb levels I desire.8oz apple juiceFruit:1.5 cups whole frozen strawberries (not in simple syrup). Add more or less for flavor.Sometimes I add frozen banana chunks as well, but they are more carb dense. They do add nice flavor and creamy texture though. (I buy bananas and cut in slices and freeze and then baggie for later use...let them freeze on their side or you will never peel them up ;) )After adding the above, I fill my blender cup up to the 24oz mark with water which is about enough to make a very thick shake. Sometimes you have to add a touch more to get it to all blend smooth.DO NOT PUT WHEY IN YET or it puts tons of air into shake.After thoroughly blended, I add one scoop ON 100% whey strawberry banana flavor and one scoop pure unflavored isolate. (You can go with all unflavored or any vanilla tastes good as well.)This is where I add dextrose if I am adding any.I "pulse" this in being sure not to overblend.That goes in my insulated container I take to the gym with me to have after I workout so by the time I get home I am ready to eat again. (I pick my daughter up from dance after I workout so it is about 45min-1hr from end of my workout till I make it home for dinner)This is a GREAT container. Expensive....but WELL worth it. Dont regret dropping $40 on it at all. Plus I will use it for coffee sometimes away from home and will keep hot all day too! I got the one with the two tops and it works great. I use the flip up straw for my PWO shake and use the other lid for keeping things hot all day long. Best thermos you will ever buy. Link below pic.
71-sIWywXmL._SL1500_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Insulated-Sta...0&sr=1-2&keywords=32oz+insulated+water+bottle
thanks Mac... I bet that shake taste more like dessert than a protein shake with all those goodies in it!gonna give it a try!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic