RalfKelleh
What's New?

Picanha, roasted broccoli, and smoked potaytahs

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Finally got around to smoking up a Picanha, which is what they like to cook up in Brazil...though cooked a different way. I don't have that type of set-up, so I had to settle with my smoker, lol. I followed Malcom Reed again for this slab of meat....simple....season the meat with a salt/pepper brisket rub, score the fat cap 1 directions on one side, let it sit at room temp until the smoker heats up to 275F, then throw it on with a probe for temp reading.

It was a bit chewy for my liking, but had good flavor. I liked it, but would prefer tri-tip over it....and tri-tip out here in Cali is about a $1 cheaper per pound with better marbling. This slab didn't have the greatest marbling, unlike the Wagyu cut that Malcom used in his vid....soooooo, lol. I'd have to give this meat another few cooks to see if i could make it better. My fat cap didn't crisp up like i wanted it to, and it also had this unchewable connective tissue under it, so I had to just cut it off the meat before eating. Not sure if that's always there or not, but if not, then maybe 300F may crisp it up better? That said, if i did it again, i'd probably cook it at a lower temp like i do my tri-tip....210-225F, and see how that goes.

Oh well....it is/was still good though, just nitpicking some here.

Also roasted up some seasoned broccoli in the oven, and then I also threw some seasoned garlic potaytahs on the smoker with the meat. Both came out great.

Pics below...first pics are pre-cooked picanha......

Attachments

• picanha pre-cooked 1.jpg
    picanha pre-cooked 1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 126
  • picanha pre-cooked 2.jpg
    picanha pre-cooked 2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 130
  • picanha pre-cooked 3.jpg
    picanha pre-cooked 3.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 131
  • broccoli.jpg
    broccoli.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 144
  • potatos.jpg
    potatos.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 133
Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
What's the point of scoring it?

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
What's the point of scoring it?

Well....it's supposed to render some of the fat and then crisp up some so you can eat it...like crispy fat or something. lol. Mine was a fail...I think. The fat was okay, but the connective tissue under it made it undible:(

Here is Malcom Reed doing one....I did mine exactly like him....but his Wagyu was off the chain looking.
Smoked Picanha (howtobbqright.com)

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
So I took the leftover picanha I had sitting in the fridge and made these awesome cheesesteak sandwiches for lunch just now!

Chopped up the meat so it tenderized it into small chewable bites. fried up some onions and jalapenos, then added the meat to warm up some, then a tad bit of bbq sauce, and then some monterey jack cheese, and a little cheddar. Didn't have sandwich rolls, but the burger buns did the job. Made one for the wife and she loved it too!

Attachments

• picanha cheesesteak 1.jpg
    picanha cheesesteak 1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 140
  • picanha cheesesteak 2.jpg
    picanha cheesesteak 2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 134
IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Damn those look good AF