Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Pharmacokinetic evaluation and dosing of subcutaneous testosterone pellets.

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
Pharmacokinetic evaluation and dosing of subcutaneous testosterone pellets.
Pastuszak AW, Mittakanti H, Liu JS, Gomez L, Lipshultz LI, Khera M.
Source

Scott Department of Urology, Baylor College of Medicine, 1709 Dryden St, Suite 1610, Houston, TX 77030. [email protected].
Abstract

Subcutaneous testosterone (T) pellets are a viable treatment modality for hypogonadism. Optimal dosing, frequency of reimplantation, and long-term safety of T pellets remain incompletely elucidated parameters. A retrospective review of 273 patients treated for hypogonadism using subcutaneous T pellets was performed. Serum total T (TT), free T (FT), and estradiol (E2) levels were analyzed as a function of time from implantation, number of pellets implanted (6-9 or 10-12), body mass index (BMI; <25 or ≥25 kg/m(2)), number of implantations (≤4 rounds, 501 insertions), and preimplantation T levels (<300 or ≥300 ng/dL). T decay was determined using linear regression and TT levels immediately postimplantation and the time for TT levels to reach 300 ng/dL extrapolated for all variables. Mean patient age ± SD was 56 ± 12.6 years. Baseline TT level was 328 ± 202 ng/dL, FT 9.49 ± 27.8 pg/mL, and E2 25.1 ± 17.3 pg/mL. Extrapolated TT and FT peaks were lower in men receiving 6 to 9 pellets than men receiving 10 to 12, although decay rates differed insignificantly. E2 levels rose significantly in men receiving 10 to 12 but not 6 to 9 pellets. Men with BMI ≥25 kg/m(2) attained lower TT peaks with slower decay than men with BMI <25 kg/m(2) receiving 10 to 12 pellets, although 300 ng/dL TT levels were reached at approximately 100 days in both groups. No differences were seen in decay rates for men with multiple implant rounds, and no differences in T peaks or decay rates were seen in men with preimplant T level <300 or ≥300 ng/dL. One patient developed erythrocytosis, and no prostate-specific antigen recurrences were observed in men with prostate cancer treated with T pellets. Men with BMI <25 kg/m(2) should receive fewer pellets, and reimplantation for all men should occur 100 to 120 days after prior implantation. Men receiving 10 to 12 pellets have higher E2 levels, potentially reflecting increased aromatization of T. Reimplantation and preimplantation TT levels do not affect pellet decay kinetics.

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
I posted this just incase someone was interested in learning about pellets. Im not a big fan of them. Their costly and once there in they are in. Its easier in my opinion to just adjust someones dosage on a weekly basis until you get it exact by injections than the pellet method. At the same time its convenient for those who dont like shots or who travel. Then again if you dont like shots I doubt an incision sounds like a much better idea.

Number LL

Number LL

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2010
Good stuff. I don't think I would like them either. Not much control. Plus I wouldn't want to drop to 300 before adding more.

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
Good stuff. I don't think I would like them either. Not much control. Plus I wouldn't want to drop to 300 before adding more.

I saw an Ad in MD this past month with Kevin Levrone endorsing them lol. I think there is a place for each type of person so for some these are best but they are way over priced imo. I know some people on them who like them. With women they can be a little trickier though because you have to be really careful as each woman reacts to different amounts of T on a much broader scale so it can take more time to dial them in. You are also correct, 300 sounds a tad boring to me as well lol.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
A good friend of mine was a rep for a company that made this type of product. Short story long, they phased them out and he lost his job. The company he worked for basically told him, more injectable and topical was being used. Bad technology imo. every time you need one, you have to go under the knife. Much better to inject.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic