Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Petechia

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
petechia is small hemorrhage of capillaries. generally looking like a rash but without the raised part. in animals we generally see it in DIC or thrombocyopenia, diseases that cause the platelets to clump or the platelets to be nonexistence. it can also be caused by increased pressure in the vascular system of a limb.

let me start this with i KNOW that im not in DIC nor do i have thrombocytopenia or any other disease process. :) my question is merely one of my ponderings and wonderings of why.

every so often after back day and having had my versa grips or straps on i will develop pretty significant petechia on my hands. i almost always get bruising where the straps are and that is normal but the petechia of the hands is not so normal.

my question is, why? i have had 8 days off and went up to visit my family where i was a complete pig and ate tons of carbs etc etc. we have just entered into our monsoon season (hopefully) here in arizona and the humidity has gone up. so is it nutritional? or is it atmospheric? or is it just some random odd consequence? i didnt do excessive weight or reps or volume or anything. it was a pretty easy dead day.

so im just wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to the whys and wherefores, just for curiosity sake. it has only happened this bad maybe 2 other times.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
Here's my theory.....think about squeezing a tube of toothpaste and moving the gel forward in the tube. I think that as your versa grips tighten and sink downward on your wrists, they are pushing both blood and interstitchial fluid forward into confined areas. Maybe that increase in pressure is disrupting capillary beds distal to the versa grips......or the versa grips are closing off your veins while the increase in blood pressure is forcing blood thru the ulnar and radial arteries into the hands and then bursting capillaries.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i think you are right MAYO but why only every once in awhile? i know that it is the pressure, i am just curious as to why only once or twice a year? why didnt it happen when i pulled 320# when there was substantially more pressure? or why not a few weeks ago when i did 225# for more sets and more reps?

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
Ok, getting a little personal here...were you possibly bloated or holding water at the time of the lifts? Some days, usually b/c of diet, I hold a significant amount more water...so much so that my finger puffs up around my wedding ring. Maybe a higher than normal amount of sub q fluid gave rise to greater pressure....

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Ok, getting a little personal here...were you possibly bloated or holding water at the time of the lifts? Some days, usually b/c of diet, I hold a significant amount more water...so much so that my finger puffs up around my wedding ring. Maybe a higher than normal amount of sub q fluid gave rise to greater pressure....

yeah, i thought of that as well. i cant say that i was exceptionally bloated. my profile pic is from this morning and the pic in my journal is from after my workout and i know im a little fluffy but no more than usual....... but i would imagine that this is along the lines of why it happens. some sort of nutritional thing.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
ok, so i just watched todays video, yeah, im probably way extra fluffy! i hate being fluffy :mad:

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
so i am pretty convinced that this was because of my overload of carbs. i did rack pulls yesterday with 365# and had the typical bruising at the wrists but no petechiation of the hands. i have cleaned up my diet a lot this past week and i feel better even though i appear just as fluffy! :D

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic