bsimon7074
What's New?

Peanut allergy stirs controversy at Florida school

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Not trying to start an argument here but this frustrates me as having to pay $6K in school taxes where I live to "accommodate" everyone. The whole school has to change for 1 child since she is covered under the Americans with Disabilities act. I don't want to take away from a childs education but come on.
My cousin is a chem teacher and has a kid allergic to latex, so no latex gloves, no latex hoses in the labs, no band aids in the school, you know how much that adds up to a year?? A teacher was doing an experiment with balloons and they had to lock the school down (as if there was a disaster) to get all the balloons out of the school.

ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) – Some public school parents in Edgewater, Florida, want a first-grade girl with life-threatening peanut allergies removed from the classroom and home-schooled, rather than deal with special rules to protect her health, a school official said.

"That was one of the suggestions that kept coming forward from parents, to have her home-schooled. But we're required by federal law to provide accommodations. That's just not even an option for us," said Nancy Wait, spokeswoman for the Volusia County School District.

Wait said the 6-year-old's peanut allergy is so severe it is considered a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

To protect the girl, students in her class at Edgewater Elementary School are required to wash their hands before entering the classroom in the morning and after lunch, and rinse out their mouths, Wait said, and a peanut-sniffing dog checked out the school during last week's spring break.

Wait said school leaders will meet this week with parents to address concerns and try to halt inaccurate rumors that children's mouths were being wiped with disinfectant.

Chris Burr, a father of two older students at the school whose wife has protested at the campus, said a lot of small accommodations have added up to frustration for many parents.

"If I had a daughter who had a problem, I would not ask everyone else to change their lives to fit my life," said Burr.

Attempts to reach the girl's parents for comment on Monday were unsuccessful.

Getraw

Getraw

VIP Member
Feb 6, 2011
I hate to say it, but if we accommodated to everyones little need or sensitivaty, religion, health issue. We would be one broke ass country..Oh wait we are. I just hate how America has to always be politically correct. Let all the illegals in cause they have feelings, take prayer out of schools, so on so on. But we cant put a substance in our body to make us look and feel better. It might actually make us stand out from the crowd and that would be UnAmerican..BS

GR

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I just don't see how an allergy falls under the Americans with Disabilities act. All the parents around me lawyer up for their kids, it's sickening.

Getraw

Getraw

VIP Member
Feb 6, 2011
I agree LK I dont see how that falls under the Disabilites Act. Sorry I went on a tangent in the earlier post. Its just I have seen all of these road to home houses down here after the hurricane and it pisses me off. They have houses for sale that are $75,000 if you make under $30,000 but if you make over $30,000 the same house is $134,000. Just doesnt make sense to me, that im getting punished for working hard. I dont mind helping people, but I be damn if they are going to live the same as me when Im busting my ass daily. It just all ties into this making everyone equal.

But No allergies Shouldnt fall under a disability

GR

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
what ever happened to the "Greater Good"?

I am allergic to pollen... so I want the gov't to kill off all things that pollinate!

And I am allergic to ugly women and homo's... so they need to kill them off too!

Getraw

Getraw

VIP Member
Feb 6, 2011
Im allergic to Fat girls who wear thongs, and goldy..haha

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
are you serious?? holy hell! im glad my kids are both in a charter school. the school has control over who is and isnt allowed to go to school there.

i think it is time to make a new country!

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
My younger sister has a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction to strawberries and shellfish. Know how she deals with it? SHE DOESN'T EAT FUCKIN STRAWBERRIES OR SHELLFISH! What the hell hapened to personal responsibility? Teach the girl how to check food contents and eductae her classmates about her condition...simple. Hey parents...try raising your own fucking kids and quit expecting the school system to do it for you.

scarl3tbutt3rfly

scarl3tbutt3rfly

TID Lady Member
Feb 25, 2011
My younger sister has a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction to strawberries and shellfish. Know how she deals with it? SHE DOESN'T EAT FUCKIN STRAWBERRIES OR SHELLFISH! What the hell hapened to personal responsibility? Teach the girl how to check food contents and eductae her classmates about her condition...simple. Hey parents...try raising your own fucking kids and quit expecting the school system to do it for you.

The problem with just saying that, is if her allergy is THAT severe, even her coming in contact with it could spark her allergy, not necessarily her even eating it. However, if I had a child with that severe of an allergy, she would be home schooled. I don't even think I'd take the chance sending her to school where others have to be responsible for taking care of it, nor is it fair to say that all the other children can't eat peanuts or peanut butter and jelly at lunch. Or have to go through all of that stuff, rinsing their mouths and whatnot.

I do agree, I think we tend to over accommodate for other people instead of making them responsible to do what is necessary to cope in the country or environment they are choosing to enter. Etc, etc.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
Let me help you out....
Anaphlaxis: Anaphylaxis is a severe, whole-body allergic reaction. After an initial exposure "sensitizing dose" to a substance like bee sting toxin, the person's immune system becomes sensitized to that allergen. On a subsequent exposure "shocking dose", an allergic reaction occurs. This reaction is sudden, severe, and involves the whole body.

Classified as a type I hypersensitivity, anaphylaxis is triggered when an antigen binds to IgE antibodies on mast cells based in connective tissue throughout the body, which leads to degranulation of the mast cells (the release of inflammatory mediators).[19] These immune mediators cause many symptoms, including common symptoms of allergic reactions, such as itching, hives, and swelling. Anaphylactic shock is an allergic reaction to an antigen that causes circulatory collapse and suffocation due to bronchial and tracheal swelling.

My point..........Anaphylaxis is the most severe type of allergic reaction. My sister attended 12 years of public school and just finished her PhD at a public university and has yet to have an episode in school. She understands her allergy and informs those around her......if it's that big of a problem for the little girl in question, then let evolution take its course. My 2c....

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
Let me help you out....
Anaphlaxis: Anaphylaxis is a severe, whole-body allergic reaction. After an initial exposure "sensitizing dose" to a substance like bee sting toxin, the person's immune system becomes sensitized to that allergen. On a subsequent exposure "shocking dose", an allergic reaction occurs. This reaction is sudden, severe, and involves the whole body.

Classified as a type I hypersensitivity, anaphylaxis is triggered when an antigen binds to IgE antibodies on mast cells based in connective tissue throughout the body, which leads to degranulation of the mast cells (the release of inflammatory mediators).[19] These immune mediators cause many symptoms, including common symptoms of allergic reactions, such as itching, hives, and swelling. Anaphylactic shock is an allergic reaction to an antigen that causes circulatory collapse and suffocation due to bronchial and tracheal swelling.

My point..........Anaphylaxis is the most severe type of allergic reaction. My sister attended 12 years of public school and just finished her PhD at a public university and has yet to have an episode in school. She understands her allergy and informs those around her......if it's that big of a problem for the little girl in question, then let evolution take its course. My 2c....

I was kinda thinking the same thing... Give her and Epi-pin and a smile and shut the fuck up!

But, I have to give it to your sister (like I always do) that is a great accomplishment... PhD!

I think with all of the studies she has done on Anaphylaxis she has really learned to relax her throat well... she doesn't even gag anymore...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic