Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Peaks in different fitness modalities through life

R

Reader591

Jan 26, 2023
Curious, especially from the middle age and beyond guys, when did you think you peaked in different fitness modalities in life. Something someone mentioned on another forum made me think about this, and I’ve thought about it before.

For example, most resilient in teens and 20s to any physical abuse, such as overdoing exercise, able to get away with sub par diet or sleep?

Strongest in 30s and 40s?

Most athletic in 20s?

Able to more easily maintain muscle mass in your 40s?

Grown man blue collar corn bread strength peaked in 50s?

Super Human and always getting better at everything and you’re 70? Haha.

For me, too soon to tell at 28. I feel I’m not peaked at all though, athletically, strength obviously, but I already don’t fell I can get away with what I could in my teens. I need 7-8 quality hours of sleep or I’m a grump, and keep doing it and my progress stalls. Mentally it screws me up too. Can’t recall words or facts without a loss of words for a few seconds instead of rapid fire out stuff.

My dad has brought this up before, who is right on 60 and still able to do anything he ever could, just gets tired a little quicker. He claims his all around physical Preakness was around 40, peak strength, muscle, but he wasn’t as resilient as 20s of
Course.

Just curious on everyone’s individual experience.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Strength peaked late 30s early 40s.

Physique peaked late 40s

Now at 52 I’m shrinking a bit but I look as good as when I started competing as a light heavyweight. It’s hard to gain or hold weight since my appetite has gotten weaker in the last year.

R

Reader591

Jan 26, 2023
Interesting on the appetie. I’ve always wondered if a primary driver of lower appiteit as one ages was due to decreased muscle mass, I understand cell turn over rates slow as we age and could impact that, but I’ve always in my mind blamed muscle mass being lower and being less generally active. Sounds not to be the case with you

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
It's weird, I'm 5'7" and still 197lbs with a 32" waist. So, I carry more mass than most 52yr olds lol. That said, I find it increasingly difficult to eat more than 2x day.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Interesting thread, Reader. No denying all our physical abilities decline with age ... for varying abilities, ages, and individuals.

But some folks learn more as they age ... enough to slow things down a bit.

I hope :eek:

R

Reader591

Jan 26, 2023
Interesting thread, Reader. No denying all our physical abilities decline with age ... for varying abilities, ages, and individuals.

But some folks learn more as they age ... enough to slow things down a bit.

I hope :eek:
Sure, but every phase of
Live has its pros. Of course, physically eventually that may not be so. Just an interesting thought to get peoples inputs.

R

Reader591

Jan 26, 2023
It's weird, I'm 5'7" and still 197lbs with a 32" waist. So, I carry more mass than most 52yr olds lol. That said, I find it increasingly difficult to eat more than 2x day.
Crazy how that happens. But I always hear it from guys in 40s-60s beginning to notice it. I think I eat more now than 10 years ago! Haha. For now at least

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic