Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Passenger forcibly removed from United Airlines flight

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Was the guy that removed him private security or a cOP?

And why did they let all these people on the plane instead of picking 4 and denying them at the gate?

United is getting their ass kicked online right now.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Was the guy that removed him private security or a cOP?

And why did they let all these people on the plane instead of picking 4 and denying them at the gate?

United is getting their ass kicked online right now.

Yeah, I had the same question. I wouldn't be very happy if I had a reservation, and seat assignment, etc. and they didn't let me board. But once you're on the plane and sitting down, I'm thinking that's REALLY the wrong time to tell someone it's a no go. After all, wouldn't your luggage already be stowed underneath the plane? So you'd be stuck in Chicago, and all your stuff is going to the destination.

If I had to deplane, I'd be demanding travel vouchers and have them get me on another flight that evening, even if it had to be on another airline.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Airlines are another business that's fallen into complacency due to lack of out side competition. I've never understood why this country gave up on trains. You go to Asia and Europe and they're as popular as airlines. Gives airlines and industry to have to compete with. For a country that swears by capitalism and free market we sure like lack of competition.
Airlines are the taxi companies of the sky. Trains are uber. Untill something better comes allong.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I couldn't figure this shit out either; why remove someone already seated to let someone on that's still at the gate?

Seemed silly to me.

But apparently the people that needed to get on were airline employees.

I still think they could have handled this better.

Also shame on that dude for screaming like a girl when they grabbed him. Seriously.

I'd also like to see one of those pussy security guards try that shit with me. :D

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I couldn't figure this shit out either; why remove someone already seated to let someone on that's still at the gate?

Seemed silly to me.

But apparently the people that needed to get on were airline employees.

I still think they could have handled this better.

Also shame on that dude for screaming like a girl when they grabbed him. Seriously.

I'd also like to see one of those pussy security guards try that shit with me. :D
You'd have 2 seats you big bastard, they would squeeze someone next to you.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Could u imagine going to a sporting event only to find out they oversold seats to the event? Never happens, not certain why airlines seem to think they can do what others would never think to do.....

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Odds 'n Ends coming off the Net:

this flight may have been one of those little connector flights and not UA per se' In the event of a lawsuit, THE UA and whoever that other company is will both be involved.

UA's CEO Munoz issued a public apology, but also mass-mailed UA employees praising them for observing proper protocol.

The "police" types who removed the passenger may have been UA employees, or from that airport's own security team. Private, not city or county cops, unless some of those do make up the local airport security team. Maybe the flight crew took it as far as they could and only then called in whoever the muscle were?

Part of Munoz' spin on this was that the 4 employees who bumped 4 customers were not going off shift or on vacation. Supposedly they were needed for another flight somewhere else, without them, that other flight would have been delayed, possible domino effect on many other flights, etc, etc.

Thinking Munoz called all his staff late last night . . . . "BE in the board room tomorrow 7am URGENT" Thinking also there will be a massive bidding war among lawyers to sign up this new free agent, who will probably turn up on one or more national tv shows before his bruises heal too much.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Could u imagine going to a sporting event only to find out they oversold seats to the event? Never happens, not certain why airlines seem to think they can do what others would never think to do.....

Hotels and airlines do it constantly. They know statistically the number of cancellations and try to maximize their revenue by not having any empty seats/rooms. Every once in a while they get it wrong and end up over booked. The pittance they pay those inconvenienced customers is eclipsed by the revenue they take in by over-booking, which results in fewer empty rooms/seats.

I don't agree with it, but it's life.

A sporting event is different. Whether the person attends or not the venue gets the money for the seat/ticket.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Good point Flex. Seems like airlines could follow the sporting events' model, you buy a ticket, it's yours. You do have (some) right to change or cancel or be refunded, but only if you do it far enough in advance, not last minute.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic