pbtom
What's New?

Partial colon removal

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Hey,

Went into the hospital 10 days ago with an abscess on my colon.
I have diverticulitis and it turned into an abscess. They drained it and I was put on antibiotics.
I also have a small umbilical hernia.

Just got back from seeing the surgeon.

They recommend to take out a part of the colon.
Its on the lower end, on the way out.
Can't recall the name of that particular part.

Says I will stay about 3 days in the hospital and be out of work for 3 weeks.
But since I am working from home thats probably not the case.

Will have to say on a clear liquid diet, etc for a while and no gym for at least 6 weeks.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?
I am trying to learn more about it before I make a decision.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
I would listen to the recommendation....As we age problems will surface and tough decisions will have to be made....Hope for the best for you

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
maybe an inconvenience, maybe an added expense, but would getting a 2nd opinion make sense?

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
My step dad just had a similar issue. He had several abscesses months ago with diverticulitis. They put a drain in which he had for a few weeks along with antibiotics. After the free weeks they removed the drain, he just had a foot or so removed that was dead tissue. He did not need a colostomy bag post op. Since the removal it's been a few weeks and he is able to resume normal activity. He is in his 70's if that helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

S

Snake

VIP Member
May 1, 2011
Morgan,
I watched my son go through colon cancer last year, had to have the bag, a drain, and a chemo port.
It was a rough year but our family came together for him, and after a year, he has his body back completely, and is cancer free.
My daughters bf has diverticulitis and is facing surgery in February. His surgery has a 97% success rate.
My best advice is get the surgeon who is absolutely the best in your area.
Keep us informed, buddy.

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
maybe an inconvenience, maybe an added expense, but would getting a 2nd opinion make sense?

I will probably do that but first I want to learn as much as possible.
A few good things is that my doctor (not the surgeon) is the doc my wife works for.
His friend is a GI doc that I have seen before and the GI doc knows the surgeon well.

My step dad just had a similar issue. He had several abscesses months ago with diverticulitis. They put a drain in which he had for a few weeks along with antibiotics. After the free weeks they removed the drain, he just had a foot or so removed that was dead tissue. He did not need a colostomy bag post op. Since the removal it's been a few weeks and he is able to resume normal activity. He is in his 70's if that helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This really helps. Thanks you for posting.

Morgan,
I watched my son go through colon cancer last year, had to have the bag, a drain, and a chemo port.
It was a rough year but our family came together for him, and after a year, he has his body back completely, and is cancer free.
My daughters bf has diverticulitis and is facing surgery in February. His surgery has a 97% success rate.
My best advice is get the surgeon who is absolutely the best in your area.
Keep us informed, buddy.

I really happy to read your son is cancer free. My wife has been an oncology nurse for over 20 years.
The surgeon told me pretty much the same numbers.
I liked the guy. He spoke to me with numbers and facts no promises of it going perfect.
he also tract is own patients stats like how long in the hospital, etc. Stuff I can relate too.

My gut feeling (pun intended) is to have the surgery.
The little research so far shows its not getting better and I will have more problems so surgery is probably the easiest way to go.
Not sure if I will do it now or in the fall. I think I rather just get it done and over with.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Get it taken care of, before it to a point they cant help you.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
My gut feeling (pun intended) is to have the surgery :
The little research so far shows its not getting better and I will have more problems so surgery is probably the easiest way to go :
Not sure if I will do it now or in the fall. I think I rather just get it done and over with.

Goddamit, I try not to go OT occasionally, and esp. on serious threads, but I really like puns and those who create them. THIS one mighta been better if you'd used a colon or two.

fixed

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I had a couple feet of intestine removed because of diverticulitis when I was 15 or 16. That was a long time ago and I don't have any advice but wanted to show solidarity

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
GK Aspiration Procedure?

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've got diverticulitis and the best u can do is get it done
For me it was drinking a lot more liquids
25 surgeries
Had hot lead nick my colon also but it was patched
Def get a second opinion
Different hospital if possible

But if your young do it
Heal a lot faster

Best to you

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
I've got diverticulitis and the best u can do is get it done
For me it was drinking a lot more liquids
25 surgeries
Had hot lead nick my colon also but it was patched
Def get a second opinion
Different hospital if possible

But if your young do it
Heal a lot faster

Best to you

I am 51.
Got off antibiotics on Wednesday and already back on them today.
So I am sure this is not going to go away without surgery.

Thanks for the responses.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic