Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Paleo Diet

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I'm still confused why people think that Paleo is low carb.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013

I personally don't think it's low carb. I just like to see diversity in a diet in order for most of us to be able to more easily get the nutrition we need and/or to be able to stick with it. It takes a very dedicated and serious person to stick to a diet that really tries to narrow down so many good things.

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013

I think the thought comes from dropping the grains which are typically associated with carbs. You are right, though, at no point does it say your carbohydrate intake must be below some calculated amount of grams or calories per day.

G

Geisha

May 4, 2014
I used the " Paleo Diet for Athlete " eating recommendations in order to help me get thru brutal 2 hr training sessions 3-4 days a week, all while fitting into a specific weight class for competition, with Great success. Thankfully, I keep the tampons in my gym bag, but unfortunately I still refuse to use lifting gloves. lol
I found it useful. Just my 2 cents

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Where you gettin this % from man? I'm sure less than 1% have been diagnosed with Celiac as it pretty much would take some severe symptoms and then probably an EGD to diagnose (guessing there, like the 1% number) but you see my point.

Cutting-edge issues in celiac disease and in gluten intolerance.

AuthorsBizzaro N, et al. Show all Journal
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2012 Jun;42(3):279-87. doi: 10.1007/s12016-010-8223-1.
Affiliation
Abstract
Celiac disease (CD) is a gluten-dependent immune-mediated disease with a prevalence in the general population estimated between 0.3% and 1.2%. Large-scale epidemiological studies have shown that only 10-20% of cases of CD are identified on the basis of clinical findings and that laboratory tests are crucial to identify subjects with subtle or atypical symptoms. The correct choice and clinical use of these diagnostic tools may enable accurate diagnosis and early recognition of silent CD cases. In this review, we have considered some relevant aspects related to the laboratory diagnosis of CD and, more extensively, of gluten intolerance, such as the best combination of tests for early and accurate diagnosis, the diagnostic role of new tests for detecting antibodies against neoepitopes produced by the transglutaminase-gliadin complex, the forms of non-celiac gluten intolerance (gluten sensitivity), and the use and significance of measuring cytokines in CD.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
I personally don't think it's low carb. I just like to see diversity in a diet in order for most of us to be able to more easily get the nutrition we need and/or to be able to stick with it. It takes a very dedicated and serious person to stick to a diet that really tries to narrow down so many good things.

X2. Arbitrary removal of entire food groups in populations that have no allergies or intolerances to them makes little sense. If someone cannot process lactose in dairy then don't eat dairy products. Don't tell everyone else not to eat dairy though if they process it just fine and enjoy the taste.

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
Cutting-edge issues in celiac disease and in gluten intolerance.

AuthorsBizzaro N, et al. Show all Journal
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2012 Jun;42(3):279-87. doi: 10.1007/s12016-010-8223-1.
Affiliation
Abstract
Celiac disease (CD) is a gluten-dependent immune-mediated disease with a prevalence in the general population estimated between 0.3% and 1.2%. Large-scale epidemiological studies have shown that only 10-20% of cases of CD are identified on the basis of clinical findings and that laboratory tests are crucial to identify subjects with subtle or atypical symptoms. The correct choice and clinical use of these diagnostic tools may enable accurate diagnosis and early recognition of silent CD cases. In this review, we have considered some relevant aspects related to the laboratory diagnosis of CD and, more extensively, of gluten intolerance, such as the best combination of tests for early and accurate diagnosis, the diagnostic role of new tests for detecting antibodies against neoepitopes produced by the transglutaminase-gliadin complex, the forms of non-celiac gluten intolerance (gluten sensitivity), and the use and significance of measuring cytokines in CD.
Great info. Thanks. I wasn't trying to be a dick with my prior post I was just really curious how we could get an accurate # on something that pretty much makes people uncomfortable and feel crappy except in severe cases (so most except the bitches that go to the ER for any ****in' thing) aren't ever going to get diagnosed. Antibody titers, that should have occurred to me. That's a lot less invasive than getting scoped. Plus with EVERY other bonehead talking about celiac, saying they have it etc. there may be more people diagnosed than actually have it just because their doctor is f*ckin' sick of dealing with them. (Anyone hear of fibromyalgia? Similar scenario except I think celiac actually does exist and there are actual test for celiac)

My thought is, try paleo if you want. Tweak it if you want. See how you feel. Keep it up if you want. For me I rarely get as many calories as I need to even when cutting and even when not cutting out dairy. Without cottage cheese hitting protein goals would be unattainable.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Great info. Thanks. I wasn't trying to be a dick with my prior post I was just really curious how we could get an accurate # on something that pretty much makes people uncomfortable and feel crappy except in severe cases (so most except the bitches that go to the ER for any ****in' thing) aren't ever going to get diagnosed. Antibody titers, that should have occurred to me. That's a lot less invasive than getting scoped. Plus with EVERY other bonehead talking about celiac, saying they have it etc. there may be more people diagnosed than actually have it just because their doctor is f*ckin' sick of dealing with them. (Anyone hear of fibromyalgia? Similar scenario except I think celiac actually does exist and there are actual test for celiac)

My thought is, try paleo if you want. Tweak it if you want. See how you feel. Keep it up if you want. For me I rarely get as many calories as I need to even when cutting and even when not cutting out dairy. Without cottage cheese hitting protein goals would be unattainable.

No worries brother, I thought you were asking an honest question.

My my cousin was A celiac so I have some experience with it but not much. My understanding is true celiac's disease isn't just something that makes you uncomfortable. If it's just some discomfort you may have gluten intolerance. Celiac's disease is gluten intolerance to an extreme. There are in fact tests for celiac's disease but as you state not everyone gets tested or knows to get tested. I still think the prevalence of the disease isn't that high and would agree with the figure of around 1%.

I don't have an issue with what Paleo tries to accomplish, namely getting ppl back to eating mainly whole foods. I just think they take it to an extreme in many cases that don't warrant such extreme measures. At the end of the day you have to do what's best for you whether it be Paleo or some other type of diet.

Seira_1337

Seira_1337

TID Lady Member
Jul 15, 2014
I lasted on Paleo for about a month and a half. I did lose a little weight, but nothing substantial. While I appreciate the emphasis on whole and unprocessed foods, the diet itself is not sustainable due to it being so restrictive. It's easier going out to eat as a vegan than it is paleo. (your friends will hate you, I promise) Anytime a huge laundry lists of food are "off limits" , more often than not, you are setting yourself up for failure and yet another crash diet. If you are going to go that route at all, I would suggest checking out the "Primal" approach which allows some dairy.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I lasted on Paleo for about a month and a half. I did lose a little weight, but nothing substantial. While I appreciate the emphasis on whole and unprocessed foods, the diet itself is not sustainable due to it being so restrictive. It's easier going out to eat as a vegan than it is paleo. (your friends will hate you, I promise) Anytime a huge laundry lists of food are "off limits" , more often than not, you are setting yourself up for failure and yet another crash diet. If you are going to go that route at all, I would suggest checking out the "Primal" approach which allows some dairy.

Hit the nail on the head!!

I only know of one person out of about 20 that stuck to paleo. He's a die hard crossfitter. The rest, of course, are most;y consisting of "crash dieters" and weekend warriors.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
That's funny Shortz b/c all the top CF's don't follow paleo.

jks1

jks1

Aug 30, 2015
My day to day nutrition is practically paleo, with a few very minor exceptions

I feel great, my lifts regularly increase (slowly and gradually but week by week, I'm not in a hurry), I'm dropping fat (again slowly and gradually) and I'm building muscle

My training style is brief, infrequent, high intensity weight training on mainly big basic lifts, and an HIIT session on the bike followed by rope jumping

The bulk of my diet consists of meat, poultry, fish, eggs, vegetables (especially leafy greens like spinach, kale and rocket), healthy fats from virgin coconut and olive oils, cashews, almonds and walnuts and carbs from a little fresh fruit, lots of tomatoes, a few slices of spelt and rye mix bread, and sweet potatoes

I also drink a lot of different types of organic herbal teas daily, which have various health benefits.

I try to eat organic wherever possible, I dont eat dairy, dont drink alcohol and have virtually eliminated grains, refined sugar, packaged food, fast and junk food.

This doesnt feel restrictive to me, but many may find this to be the case for them

I eat a lot, and often, but its all healthy and I never feel hungry, nor bloated, nor sluggish
The food I eat now I find to be delicious and varied, and mealtimes are something I always look forward to

With a little imagination, a variety of herbs, spices and some simple basic prep and cooking there are plenty of beautiful looking and beautiful tasting nutritional powerhouse dishes you can create

I'm 44 yet people, especially those in their 20s, often think I'm lying about my age and put me at early 30s at the oldest

As a lifelong natty, I'd highly recommend a paleo or paleo(ish) nutrition lifestyle as I've never felt better, nor stronger, I never suffer the post mealtime slump and overpowering sleepiness that I used to suffer before I switched to this lifestyle nutritional regimen, I feel full of vitality and energy and am often complemented on my youthful, healthy appearance, and continue to make gains in the gym on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic