Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Paleo Diet

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
There's a book called Paleo for Athletes you can buy and while you're out there don't forget to pick up some tampons.

For me, or for my friend? LOL

Paleo also leaves out a ton of things that are still healthy and packed with nutrition though too. For instance, sweet potatoes and potatoes are packed with nutrition, yet you can't eat them on paleo. Paleo is "on the right track", but yet just go far off at the same time.

It's just like anything else. Lead a shitty lifestyle, look and feel shitty. I hate crossfit, and I hate paleo, but a lot of people that do it now are getting off their asses and eating "better" than they did before, and they are exercising. Of course they are going to look and feel great to the alternative.

See I asked my chiropractor today about the paleo, because he is doing it, and he said you can eat sweet potatoes, but not white. I am following Shelbys diet, and I can eat both whenever I want for a carb source.

IM I feel your pain. My wife's chunky friends routinely ask me for diet and training plans. I made the mistake of doing it in the past only to have them "tweak the diet" as in eat whatever they want in any portion they want and skip the training for a variety of bogus reasons. Most notably "I don't want to bulk up."

The reality is they don't want to work hard. And because of that they will always be fat and out of shape.

You know bro, I try to steer her in the right direction, and she goes off in another. She literally wasted money on that xcite diet bullshit. They had her buying all their supplements to use while doing the cookie cutter diet that was universal, and everyone that was buying their products, got the same diet. I told her do the diet without taking their supplements and see what happens. You more then likely would have lost the same amount of weight, and you didnt need to spend an extra $2-300 on garbage supplements. She is also lazy. She says she has no time.. Everyone has 30mins/day to workout, I dont care who you are. Then on top of all that, she doesnt eat. She thinks that will help too. I am almost to the point where I am tired of hearing her complain about losing weight all the time. She is just stubborn, and no motivation.

What gets me too, she really thought that xcite diet was working. She told me she lost like 7lbs the first week. I had to inform her, you didnt lose 7lbs of fat, all you lost was water. Its what I and many others call 'Fake Weight'. But, she insisted it was fat..Whatever! Not going to argue with you..believe what you want.

You can absolutely eat sweet potatoes on Paleo, and there are many Paleo advocates that push white potatoes for competitive athletes as well. There's no reason you can't eat fully balanced and healthy when eating Paleo, it's just expensive and hard to get a ton of calories if you're big and bulking.

The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf is a good start IM. I don't eat Paleo, but I have in the past and I felt good (but couldn't get over 4000k cals without spending $500/wk on groceries).

Ill check out that book, thanks!

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
I eat a modified paleo diet with the addition of brown rice and potatoes for additional carb sources.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Paleo also leaves out a ton of things that are still healthy and packed with nutrition though too. For instance, sweet potatoes and potatoes are packed with nutrition, yet you can't eat them on paleo. Paleo is "on the right track", but yet just go far off at the same time.

It's just like anything else. Lead a shitty lifestyle, look and feel shitty. I hate crossfit, and I hate paleo, but a lot of people that do it now are getting off their asses and eating "better" than they did before, and they are exercising. Of course they are going to look and feel great to the alternative.

Bro recalling your posts where you and I share similiar passions - if we train in weights and martial arts - consider yourself a power and streghth athlete - we need carbs . It's all about meal spacing and quality food. So I'm with ya here

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
Paleo simply stated is a diet that directs one to avoid foods with which people may have autoimmune issues. Examples would be gluten and celiacs or dairy and lactose intolerance. So, the direction of the diet is to avoid grains, dairy, nightshades such a white potatoes, legumes (beans and peanuts), possibly tree nuts, and processed foods including vegetable oils such as canola. One can discuss all the evolutionary stuff if one wants.

Okay, so you eliminate all that stuff and now you have really reduced your carbohydrates and increased your fat intake and since the typical person is now running a calorie deficit because they are typically not used to eating this way they start losing weight. People that did not realize they had some issue with a food group are now also feeling much better after 1 to 4 months or so.

Yes, this way of eating can potentially create some issue either with finances or with getting enough calories. So, my take on it is to do it for a month or two, see how you feel and what is going on with your body versus your fitness goals and then consider reintroducing some of the food groups you eliminated. I do my best to avoid processed food, and I think that is good regardless of the eating plan one follows, cook with olive oil or coconut oil, eat lots of vegetables and meat, and some fruit as is dictated by the paleo diet, but then I also eat white rice and oatmeal. Once or twice a week I will have some wheat, my wife makes great pizza. I also eat cheese and greek yogurt. Bottom line is to determine how you function and feel with certain groups of food and once you find those foods that seem to cause you problems stop eating them.

Paleo is one direction to go. Mini Forklift is vegetarian but also avoids wheat and he went from having serious cardiopulmonary issues to being incredibly healthy and strong. I have another friend who determined that red meat makes him aggressive and angry so he avoids eating red meat. My suggestion is to study up, start experimenting with the foods you eat to see how you feel, and even determine how you feel with regard to your macros. Some do better with more fat and fewer carbs in their diet and some are the inverse of that, but the only way someone is going to determine how they feel and function with regard to the food they eat is to start changing this up and see how they feel.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Paleo simply stated is a diet that directs one to avoid foods with which people may have autoimmune issues. Examples would be gluten and celiacs or dairy and lactose intolerance. So, the direction of the diet is to avoid grains, dairy, nightshades such a white potatoes, legumes (beans and peanuts), possibly tree nuts, and processed foods including vegetable oils such as canola. One can discuss all the evolutionary stuff if one wants.

what about those people who have no such issues with dairy and gluten?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013

Okay, so you eliminate all that stuff and now you have really reduced your carbohydrates and increased your fat intake and since the typical person is now running a calorie deficit because they are typically not used to eating this way they start losing weight. People that did not realize they had some issue with a food group are now also feeling much better after 1 to 4 months or so.

Yes, this way of eating can potentially create some issue either with finances or with getting enough calories. So, my take on it is to do it for a month or two, see how you feel and what is going on with your body versus your fitness goals and then consider reintroducing some of the food groups you eliminated. I do my best to avoid processed food, and I think that is good regardless of the eating plan one follows, cook with olive oil or coconut oil, eat lots of vegetables and meat, and some fruit as is dictated by the paleo diet, but then I also eat white rice and oatmeal. Once or twice a week I will have some wheat, my wife makes great pizza. I also eat cheese and greek yogurt. Bottom line is to determine how you function and feel with certain groups of food and once you find those foods that seem to cause you problems stop eating them.

Paleo is one direction to go. Mini Forklift is vegetarian but also avoids wheat and he went from having serious cardiopulmonary issues to being incredibly healthy and strong. I have another friend who determined that red meat makes him aggressive and angry so he avoids eating red meat. My suggestion is to study up, start experimenting with the foods you eat to see how you feel, and even determine how you feel with regard to your macros. Some do better with more fat and fewer carbs in their diet and some are the inverse of that, but the only way someone is going to determine how they feel and function with regard to the food they eat is to start changing this up and see how they feel.

Less than 1% of Americans have Celiac.

How about, just avoid what you can't eat? Emphasis on "can't", and not "what I tell people I am allergic to, but have no medical diagnosis or other reliable indication of it"

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
I was just giving what I understand the premise of the paleo diet to be. I am not saying what one should or should not eat and the celiac and lactose intolerance examples were just that, examples. If you eat grains then you are not eating paleo, that is all.

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
Less than 1% of Americans have Celiac.

How about, just avoid what you can't eat? Emphasis on "can't", and not "what I tell people I am allergic to, but have no medical diagnosis or other reliable indication of it"

Where you gettin this % from man? I'm sure less than 1% have been diagnosed with Celiac as it pretty much would take some severe symptoms and then probably an EGD to diagnose (guessing there, like the 1% number) but you see my point.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic