Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Pain in the ass!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
so last week during rack pulls i think i irritated the origin of the hamstring on my left leg. when i was walking home i felt a pain just under the butt cheek that kind of extended around to the front of the hip. it was sore for a few days and then pretty much went away. (meaning it wasnt sore enough to warrant a shuffle in my step) anyway, today was leg day and i did my first set of squats and i could immediatel feel it again.

it isnt a sharp pain, more dull but definately sore. it starts right under the glutes and extends down the back of the leg and then around to the inside of the hip joint. i am assuming that i have inflammed/pulled/torn whatever the origin of the hamstring with some inflammation of the joint capsule.

so my question is, since it is just annoyingly painful at this point, do i train through it, decrease weight but still workout or do i need to lay off and let it heal?

in horses there are injuries that i tell the owner that strict rest is required and others that mild training can still occur as it heals and strengthens itself. the only time i have had pain similiar to this was after i had walked around on my leg with a completely torn ACL for 6 months and the ham was inflammed from trying to keep the joint stable. i wasnt lifting at the time so i didnt do anything special and it eventually went away a month or so after i had the ACL replaced.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I would not train through a muscle strain or pull. If you do you could end up making it much worse. I'd lay of it a bit and let it heal before training on it.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I would say to give it a break for a few weeks.better to let it heal than have it keep pissing you off and possibly getting worse. If/when I get an injury I will split my day up a bit more and add in some accesories .

If I couldnt squat or deadlift i would probably do a bench day and and overhead press day then throw in some accesories for some variety. I train kinda weird though .
I hope it heals soon.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i figured that would be the answer. :( but better a few weeks off than a few months :)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
i figured that would be the answer. :( but better a few weeks off than a few months :)

Yup, don't be like me. I trained on my shoulder for a month while it hurt and than I had to take off 4 months to let it heal properly when it probably coulda healed in a month if I laid off it during that month time.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Yup, don't be like me. I trained on my shoulder for a month while it hurt and than I had to take off 4 months to let it heal properly when it probably coulda healed in a month if I laid off it during that month time.

my shoulders suck and i take pretty good care of them as i know how easy it is to mess them up. i was hoping that this would be something that would heal pretty easy given that it is less complicated. often with horses when we get some tearing at an origin, like the origin of the suspensory, we inject it with cortisone and p block and have them continue training on it. but im notgoing to inject myself with it :D

S

soinkid

Mar 14, 2011
if ur anything like my spouse ur way too stubborn to lay off it for a couple weeks...lol. But my advice would be to give it rest and take care of yourself...a couple weeks missing leg days is nothing compared to months. thats a major muscle to take a chance of really damaging...

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
if ur anything like my spouse ur way too stubborn to lay off it for a couple weeks...lol. But my advice would be to give it rest and take care of yourself...a couple weeks missing leg days is nothing compared to months. thats a major muscle to take a chance of really damaging...

LOL im stubborn but not stupid. i have no problem laying off legs for a few weeks! i need some extra rest anyway and i dont like hurting!

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Doc i think we are the same age.i am SLOWLY learning that experience in lifting goes a long way.I dont train as often as I used to and can still see improvements. When I first started competing I only needed a few days off before a comp.Now I have found that two weeks is my magic number.I think the more we do this the easier it gets to lift less,take breaks when we need them .And not have the lifts drop like they used to

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
it is always hard for me to be away but more from the aspect of getting out of the routine of it. last deload wasnt much of a deload and i can dang sure tell that i didnt get the rest my body needed. joints have been really hurting lately with the change in the weather and the soft tissues are kind of ache on and off. i think i will do a series of glucosamine injections and try to take it easy for a week or two. sucks getting old because things just dont heal like they did.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
AMEN to that! I have "lingering" injuries that are piddly.They just piss me off more than anything but they are so quick to come back.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
you should really get the hubby to give you a good deep tissue rub there too (not being a perv..well... not completely ;) ) it will help in recovery... and make it feel a bit better too...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic