Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Pain Above Knee Cap After Doing Squats

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
This past Tuesday, (03/01/2016), I did a squat and dead lift workout. I didn't have any pain during the workout. But later that day my right knee started to get really sore on the top of the knee cap. The next day when I woke up it was really sore, and I couldn't bend my right knee or put weight on it at all without really bad pain. Also, whenever I sit upright in a chair, if the end of the chair pushes against the bottom of my hamstring, I can feel it from my hamstring down to my knee cap. Its really uncomfortable. Its also uncomfortable to keep my knee bent when I'm sitting up right.

I have no clue how to rehab this, I've just been trying to compensate with my left leg when I stand up or sit down. It doesn't hurt that much when I walk. Only when I bend my right knee, and put weight on it.

Also, the workout on Tuesday was except during my warmup with 135, on my last rep, I went down kinda fast and held it as deep as I could for about 2 seconds, then came up. I did feel some pressure against my ankles, but no knee pain.

Any ideas?

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
First thing that came to mind is "tight quadriceps" because when it's being stretched it hurts.

Any swelling or bruising? Is it a muscle pain or is the pain in the bone?

Does it hurt to stretch that quad? Is your hamstring on that side tighter than the other one?

Have you had knee problems with that leg before? Any problems in that leg before?

Are you on TRT and pin quads? That specific quad?

Hoping some of these answers can help others to get a better understanding of the problem.
Sorry you feel bad, Turbo.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for the response man.

I did did a little reading this morning and I think I have it narrowed down. I think it is an imbalance in my quad, hamstring and calve that caused the inflammation.

No swelling, no pinning in that area.

I did did a couple stretches earlier today and walked a bunch today and it feels a lot better than yesterday. So I think it's on it's way back to normal. I'll update that part tomorrow.

I will start being more strict about doing hamstrings quads and calves.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Turbs sit on the floor legs out in front and rest a barbell in that gooey pouch above the knee cap. Let it sit for a couple minutes. Then roll that bar up and down the quads. Then take a pair or two of socks, stuff behind the knee joint and squeeze your calf to your hamstring and hold 2 minutes.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
I have to roll that gooey spot out with my lacrosse ball somewhat often, Turbs. If it's tender, that's a good thing, and it will feel better sooner.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks a lot guys!

Ill add that into my routine.

Knee eel is pretty much back to normal now. Definitely going to start adding some pre hab.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Good to hear it's feeling better. You gotta start adding prehab into your training regimen b/c it'll haunt you when you get older if you don't.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Careful trying to diagnose knee issues yourself. Knee problems can be really unpredictable. For instance, you could have classic signs of PCL tear, but then find out you have a torn meniscus. Symptoms can be also be very nonspecific at times.

THe advice here is still good though. There is no reason to not attempt some stretching and PT type of exercises.

As already mentioned, just make sure there is no sudden pain above a 3/10 on a pain scale when doing these exercises and perhaps even accompanied with swelling etc. That's your queue to have some imaging done.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Look in to what Donnie Thompson is doing with the X-Wife.... I keep one in my living room for stuff like this.... similar to the above post of sitting and rolling out your quads with a barbell.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone.

So my knee is fine now. Sometimes it will get a little irritated, but not much. I need to add in more prehab like you guys mentioned. I've been lazy here and have been trying to find whee I want to add it in to my routine at.

I think I just caused the area to get really irritated. After I did a couple rehab movements and walked around it stopped. It was better in a couple days.

Im gonna keep an eye on it and try to get in the prehab.

_3M_

_3M_

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2015
Like Schultz said symptoms can often times be nonspecific. Some issues can be caused by an earlier injury that maybe your body was compensating for so its hard to really self diagnose because of that reason. I would suggest doing some unilateral work to build up any imbalances between the two legs (quads, calves, hammies, glutes).

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic