Members
Latest Member
CarlD
What's New?

Overtraining: Recognize It and Prevent It

babybull34

babybull34

Jul 11, 2011
Yes. Here is a pretty good article with a bunch of references http://www.apec-s.com/The importance of grip strength.pdf and there is a book called overtraining in sports that referenced a study done on wrestlers after two days of competition, their grip strength drops. The idea is, in order to grip something you actually use 30 some odd muscles, a drop in your central nervous systems ability to coordinate between such a number of muscles would likely show quicker.
Great post, Wolf. Intriguing fact and makes complete sense.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2011
excellent write up POB... again lol. Deloads are shitty and boring but needed at some points especially if you are giving it your all. plus i usually come out of mine slightly stronger or atleast fresher than when i went in

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Yes. Here is a pretty good article with a bunch of references http://www.apec-s.com/The importance of grip strength.pdf and there is a book called overtraining in sports that referenced a study done on wrestlers after two days of competition, their grip strength drops. The idea is, in order to grip something you actually use 30 some odd muscles, a drop in your central nervous systems ability to coordinate between such a number of muscles would likely show quicker.
That is killer info to have bro - big Thanks for that!

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
excellent post pillarofbalance! been there, and i will tell you, i didnt even realize i was overtraining till i walked in the gym, exhausted, id lost a few pounds, no motivation at all.i then realized i have been working out 1 month straight with no rest days ON TOP of the fact that i hadnt missed a workout, period, in my regimen as it was! somehow i went from 5 days a week to 7 and hadn't realized it.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
excellent post pillarofbalance! been there, and i will tell you, i didnt even realize i was overtraining till i walked in the gym, exhausted, id lost a few pounds, no motivation at all.i then realized i have been working out 1 month straight with no rest days ON TOP of the fact that i hadnt missed a workout, period, in my regimen as it was! somehow i went from 5 days a week to 7 and hadn't realized it.
I think I can almost see that happening to myself. Especially since I don't do chest on monday, back on tuesday etc... I just have workout 1, workout 2 and whatever day that falls on, it falls on. I have to be cognizant of my rest days and when to take them. Maybe a two on 1 off would be best.