Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Overhead Squats

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Since you're into Oly lifts CTJ, try Sotts Press. Look them up and give them a try. They're a great way to warm up for snatches.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Since you're into Oly lifts CTJ, try Sotts Press. Look them up and give them a try. They're a great way to warm up for snatches.

Definitely! I've done a few pendlay cycles and never did OHS either but lots of sotts presses. I think cf programs do OHS to exploit the pure strength guys' weaknesses. Deadlift and backsquat big but how's that mobility. Sotts presses will exploit more weaknesses than OHS. Maybe I'll just do those on an OHS day. The programming I'm currently running is from Laura Phelps Sweatt. That day she asked for a 3 rep @ 80%.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
That's a great front squat...... but I'm with TenatiousA .... Crossfit has a kill-boner for them so they're necessary to train for that, but I don't see the risk vs. reward otherwise.
I can get a similar body position with SSB front squats or maybe even zercher squats without the added stress on my shoulders and elbows.

They certainly have value as an accessory lift but I try to keep my lower body accessory work set up to minimize shoulder stress since they already get beat on so much.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I don't know why crossfit has such a hard on for them, as previous mad chance of injury if you're as mobile, tight as hell with on point technique.
TenaciousA - idk...you would have to ask Laura Phelps who programmed that day.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
That's a great front squat...... but I'm with TenatiousA .... Crossfit has a kill-boner for them so they're necessary to train for that, but I don't see the risk vs. reward otherwise.
I can get a similar body position with SSB front squats or maybe even zercher squats without the added stress on my shoulders and elbows.

They certainly have value as an accessory lift but I try to keep my lower body accessory work set up to minimize shoulder stress since they already get beat on so much.

Ssb fronts are gnarly. I know what you guys are saying though. If I keep my scaps locked with external rotation my shoulders feel great. Once that goes the stress is certainly felt.

T

TheRSM

Dec 31, 2015
OH Squats are honking - back and front no problem - fir me it's just crappy flexibility that spoils it .......still try though at least once a week!!

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
OH Squats are honking - back and front no problem - fir me it's just crappy flexibility that spoils it .......still try though at least once a week!!

Def need lots of mobility!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Very impressive but I'm definitely too old for that!

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
Just work on shoulder and hip mobility and you'll be able to do them. If you really want to do them... in the beginning do them in a cage where you can push the bar against the side of the cage to help keep your stability.

Yes, it's most Def an upper body issue ;)

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
She is a powerifter...not a crossfitter.

Yeah, but she programs for her Crossfit team as well...... If you are running her powerlifting programming then you'll almost never see a movement like this. If you run her crossfit programming then it's there because it's a competition lift for crossfit.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic