Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Overhead press, I can't go low enough to touch my chest, anyone else?

J

johnjay06

VIP Member
Jul 22, 2011
Tuck your elbows under the bar. If you are only going to the nose that's half the lift.

Don't go fucking up your shoulders over it or anything, but start with an empty bar on the chest and get in position. If you can't do that ROM with a weight then maybe it's a bit to heavy.

Have you suffered shoulder injuries?
No shoulder injuries, and I can go below my nose, a few inches below my chin, butno matter what I try that's my limit without pain. Empty bar, same thing

J

johnjay06

VIP Member
Jul 22, 2011
I think a lot has to do with form. Some guys still OHP with elbows wide like the days of benching the same way and putting way too much stress on the shoulder putting it in an unstable position. Same thing @PillarofBalance is saying.

Tuck the elbows and press off your lats, there should not be an issue getting much larger ROM and running through a much more natural position for the shoulder joint. Even as bad as my upper body mobility is and a bad shoulder, I have no issues going full ROM and pressing from bar almost on my clavicles all they way to lockout.
I'll try and tuck them more and see. Thanks for the advice to the guys that helped. I normally just did dumbells so getting back to ohp was a bit of a learning curve again

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
So where is the hand positioning on the bar. I go pinky on the outer ring and it's hard for me to get past my chin. You guys saying to go way further in on the bar?

S

Shock

VIP Member
Nov 28, 2015
I never go down past my nose or chin, hurts my shoulders too much and I don't see the benefit.
Same. I have issues with a "complete" range of motion on almost all pressing movements. I feel that if most of the tension is placed on a somewhere other than the target muscle group, e.g., connective tissue, it doesn't make any sense to lift that deeply. Speaking only from a bb'ing point of view, of course.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic