Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Overhand vs Underhand chin ups

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Is there really much of a difference between the two? Personally I do overhand for a wide grip, but do the underhand for a close grip since it's more comfortable for me to do.

The whole reason to do pullups 2 ways is to affect the back 2 different ways. This is determined by the grip, yeah, but it is determined directly by how the arms "track" vs. your torso as you pull up. Get the arms to track out to the sides by gripping overhand and going at least medium wide. Get the arms to track parallel to each other in front of the torso by gripping underhand. Use a relatively narrow grip, but not so narrow that the elbows flare out a bit, switching some lat work to rear delt work, unless that's what you want. Something like 12" - 18" depending on how wide you are will keep the arms parallel, similar to a machine pullover.

Note those little triangle handles you can hook over the pullup bar are probably too narrow. Note the opposite as well, using an overhand grip that is too narrow will still force the arms to track to the sides, BUT that narrow grip will probably hit the Bi's and rear delts more than the "back."

Last edited:
D

Dropitpj

Jul 12, 2015
i had the same issue way back when. Lat pull downs, switch up the bars, slow negatives during sets, and a lot of close grip/one armed rows helped me since I really feel it in the lats.I was fairly heavy in comparison to how much strength i actually had so, it took a while lol it wouldn't hurt to strengthen your back overall as well with other exercises as accessories.

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
Keep in mind that although people lump both a supinated grip and a pronated grip chin up/pull up into the same category, they are actually two very different movement patterns.

Supinated grip = shoulder EXTENSION. While Pronated grip = Shoulder ADDUCTION.

Arguments can be had all day on which is "better" but it would be more educated and less of a argument to separate them into completely different movements. Most tote about how wide grip pro grip pull ups activate the lats the most when in all reality it just shortens the range of motion allowed and many studies have proven that chin ups, or supinated grip pull ups are actually more effective for a better lat contraction.

If you have shoulder issues stay away from pronated grip and stick to neutral grip or supinated grip. If you find you can effectively use your lats more efficiently using one over the other, then use the one that works best for you. Nothing wrong with switching up grips constantly either, but the debate on which movement pattern is more effective for this and more effective for that, will never come out with a true answer.

C

Craaag

Mar 1, 2016
That's what I do too alpha. Wide grip pull ups for Lat , upper body workouts and chin ups on biceps days. Great exercise, do both varieties!

built1st

built1st

Aug 13, 2015
Overhand all the way with weights tied to me. Beastin

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic