Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Overhand vs Underhand chin ups

georgia21

georgia21

Aug 30, 2010
Is there really much of a difference between the two? Personally I do overhand for a wide grip, but do the underhand for a close grip since it's more comfortable for me to do.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I do the same as you. What ever is more comfortable to do. Might every once in a while change the grip up some. Just to hit the muscles a little different.

P

PedX

Jun 13, 2012
I start with a few sets of overhand wide grip then switch up to underhand narrower grip for a couple more sets.

T

TonyB

Jul 10, 2012
Not to sound weak as hell but I just started training and am having difficulties with pull-ups...I have searched various articles and even tried the search function on here but would anyone have any advice on how to get stronger to even do a pull-up let alone multiple sets.

Forum has a wealth of knowledge and I'm just trying to figure out where to start

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Not to sound weak as hell but I just started training and am having difficulties with pull-ups...I have searched various articles and even tried the search function on here but would anyone have any advice on how to get stronger to even do a pull-up let alone multiple sets.

Forum has a wealth of knowledge and I'm just trying to figure out where to start

Lat pulldowns, maybe the assisted pullup machine.

A good one is doing negative only pull ups, jump up to get up, pause at the top, and do a very slow controlled descent.

Keep trying tho, those failed reps are work too.

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
Is there really much of a difference between the two? Personally I do overhand for a wide grip, but do the underhand for a close grip since it's more comfortable for me to do.

technically an overhand "chin up" is a pullup. I do both chins and pulls. Pull ups for width and chins for lower lats and it really nails my biceps too. Chins/pulls are some of the best excercises one can do.

B

beck26

Jul 28, 2011
i never have been great at them and tend to stear away sometimes. i need to get back to don't chins again.

biggerben692000

biggerben692000

MuscleHead
Feb 3, 2012
Here I go again bringing up my prison stories...I apologize. However, in the fed system weights are long gone. I had no other choice but to do bar work and burpees. These are the only good things that I gained from doing time. I always did dips...still do. Sets with 2 45lb plates. Love em. I always hated pull ups because they were so fucking hard for me to do. I felt like a weakling. I could barely do 3. You need to put your ego aside and just do them. My brother 69nites has it correct. Do that shit. Wide grip overhand chins were the toughest. Underhand close grip were the easiest. Just do the damn thing and you will become strong as shit. Trust.

T

TonyB

Jul 10, 2012
T

TonyB

Jul 10, 2012
Here I go again bringing up my prison stories...I apologize. However, in the fed system weights are long gone. I had no other choice but to do bar work and burpees. These are the only good things that I gained from doing time. I always did dips...still do. Sets with 2 45lb plates. Love em. I always hated pull ups because they were so fucking hard for me to do. I felt like a weakling. I could barely do 3. You need to put your ego aside and just do them. My brother 69nites has it correct. Do that shit. Wide grip overhand chins were the toughest. Underhand close grip were the easiest. Just do the damn thing and you will become strong as shit. Trust.

I haven't heard your prison stories so no worries. Good insight though. Doing some youtube searches and saw some of the BarStarzz crew and that looks sick. Tough for me to imagine myself at that level but knowing it can be done is motivation.

SpartanTraining

SpartanTraining

Jul 16, 2012
Its been said, 'if don't have pull-ups in your workout, then you really don't have a workout...my experience of pull-ups, you can only get good at them by doing them...lat pull-downs, seated rows will only take you to a point...The pull up bar wide grip hitting the stretch position in your reps is the best I have found to improve...At 59 and 210 I can still pull off 20 reps and that's going all the way down into the stretch position...

Reactions: .X.
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic