Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Optimal Bench Press Angle

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
I wrote an article about this in Muscle & Fitness years back and now more evidence has surfaced to back up what I said. Dorian Yates also talked about this a few years back as well. He said that a 30 degree incline was best for clavicular head or the upper pecs and 45-60 was best for deltoids. While the flat bench has been shown to activate both the clavicular head, the sternocostal head, and the costal portion, as the angle of inclination goes up, the sternocostal head involvement decreases and the clavicular head increases. Further inclination past 30 degrees and the clavicular head decreases while the involvement of the anterior deltoid increases. Yates claimed that by going 45-60 degrees to work anterior detoids you are able to put a much higher load on the muscle as there is some involvement still by the clavicular head of the pecs. Of course any angle less that 30 degrees deactivates involvement in both the clavicular head, the sternocostal head and increases activation in the costal portion of the pecs. Of course the triceps are involved at any angle as an elbow extensor.

Anatomy-of-the-Pectoralis-Major.jpg

David Rodríguez-Ridao,José A. Antequera-Vique,Isabel Martín-Fuentes andJosé M. Muyor. Effect of Five Bench Inclinations on the Electromyographic Activity of the Pectoralis Major, Anterior Deltoid, and Triceps Brachii during the Bench Press Exercise. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17(19), 7339; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17197339

https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/17/19/7339/htm#

Abstract
The bench press exercise is one of the most used for training and for evaluating upper-body strength. The aim of the current study was to evaluate the electromyographic (EMG) activity levels of the pectoralis major (PM) in its three portions (upper portion, PMUP, middle portion, PMMP, and lower portion, PMLP), the anterior deltoid (AD), and the triceps brachii (TB) medial head during the bench press exercise at five bench angles (0°, 15°, 30°, 45°, and 60°). Thirty trained adults participated in the study. The EMG activity of the muscles was recorded at the aforementioned inclinations at 60% of one-repetition maximum (1RM). The results showed that the maximal EMG activity for PMUP occurred at a bench inclination of 30°. PMMP and PMLP showed higher EMG activity at a 0° bench inclination. AD had the highest EMG activity at 60°. TB showed similar EMG activities at all bench inclinations. In conclusion, the horizontal bench press produces similar electromyographic activities for the pectoralis major and the anterior deltoid. An inclination of 30° produces greater activation of the upper portion of the pectoralis major. Inclinations greater than 45° produce significantly higher activation of the anterior deltoid and decrease the muscular performance of the pectoralis major.

incline-bench-press-muscle-groups-2.gif

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
One more variable if you please. In addition to the angle of the bench, what about the ideal touch-the-chest spot(s) for the barbell? Would that always be the same spot or would it vary with the angle of the bench? I know what I do, what feels right, but interested in your thoughts.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
One more variable if you please. In addition to the angle of the bench, what about the ideal touch-the-chest spot(s) for the barbell? Would that always be the same spot or would it vary with the angle of the bench? I know what I do, what feels right, but interested in your thoughts.

I have never seen a study done on this but my guess is when you touch higher on the chest (center of pecs), the elbows flair out (abduction) probably taking some of the triceps out and increasing the pectorals. More common with bodybuilding. Hitting lower on the chest (below sternum) causes more adduction of the upper arm (tight to the body) which most likely cause more activation of the triceps as well as costal pecs. This is very common in powerlifting with a big arch in the low back to create almost a decline bench while cutting the distance the bar moves.

Now Dr, Fred Hatfield always said further that where you hit on the chest (flat) determined what part of the chest worked more. Low on the chest incorporated more the costal head. Middle of the chest all three heads and high on the chest more clavicular head. He claimed you could do an incline bench hitting the upper part of the chest similar to where you would in an incline bench.

The JM Press is done where the bar hits between the clavical and chin with the elbows abducted to a 45 degree angle. This is very much a triceps oriented exercise with little chest or anterior deltoid.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
You'll be sorry you replied, but ... whatcha got on decline presses and dips? :)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic