Members
Latest Member
Douglas S

Opinions on Personal Training Certification

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
I'm considering becoming a certified personal trainer and would like opinions on the type/school of certification and other stuff. My plan is to take some classes in anatomy and physiology at a local community college, and then look at either NASM, NSCA, or ACE for certification as a personal trainer.

The reason why I'm considering this is that in the next year or two, I may be investing in a gym, and if I could do some personal training on the side - it could help that investment. Or, if that doesn't materialize, my wife and I are thinking of building a small home gym (power cage, bench, platform, and some dumbbells) and I could offer PT services with clients in there as a way to help pay off some of that investment (also the tax benefits would be nice).

I also think I might be pretty good at it because I like to help people - when I have the inclination and time to do so. I've sort of mentored a few people in the past year who have made some great progress in their lifting. A couple of whom are going to compete in a powerlifting competition this summer.

Goliac7

Goliac7

MuscleHead
Feb 20, 2015
I have absolutely no advice to offer, but I'm interested in the input of others on this one.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I recommend ACSM and CSCS. Good luck, Chris.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
In one of my kinesiology courses we are using the ace personal trainer manual and accompanying essentials of exercise science.

Some good info but some of it you can clearly see is purely academic... like talk about roid rage and that resistance training alone has never been shown to reduce body fat.

Nsca is well respected and nasm is as well.

Bottom line is don't worry about which of those three as they are all accredited. And the proof is in the pudding - do you walk the walk and do your clients make progress. The piece of paper is just that.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Bottom line is don't worry about which of those three as they are all accredited. And the proof is in the pudding - do you walk the walk and do your clients make progress. The piece of paper is just that.

This is true, especially if you own the place. You're already hired.
My ex managed a popular gym here and she not only wanted to see your cert (NASM was the minimum, ACSM was preferred)
but she also wanted to see your score.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
It depends what you want...... from an insurance standpoint you need some sort of certification but it won't matter what. If all you want is a diploma for the wall and to help you avoid any liability issues just do the cheapest online cert you can find. Mine was $70 and took an hour...... I felt comfortable doing this because I already have almost a decade at competing at a high level and training under a few great gurus of the sport. My knowledge base comes from that and all I want to do is training based on that. Even when I went to a big dollar commercial gym to do part time work as a trainer I got by with the bullshit cert because of my resume and teaching degrees. Most guys need some sort of real certification.

If you want to actually earn something and be able to service a wider range of clients go to ACSM or NASM.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If you're looking for strength training I'd suggest NSCA and USAW.

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
A lot of this depends on where you are in the country. If you plan to own your own gym it doesn't matter too much. Do some research on all the major ones NSCA, NASM, ACSM etc and see which one suits your needs. Like others have said it will come down to what you hope to get out of this. If you a truly trying to learn more pick a major sanctioning body and think about maybe auditing in a class or two at your local college that offers an exercise science dept (exercise phys class etc). If you are just trying to help pick up cheaper training insurance then pick just about anything you can find that's cheap and easy.

I have dual bachelors degree in exercise science with numerous certs held throughout my life and I can honestly say I learned more from just practical application and my own research/competing over the years then I ever did in the classroom.

Placebro

Placebro

Nov 3, 2014
Im a personal trainer for my second job and I do love it. Like you Chris, I enjoy helping people and espescially enjoy seeing people realize their own strength and make the gym a place they want to go to instead of have to. I work with a company that lets me be, and train using the methodolgies that I prefer. I dont make too much money but its really not about that. As far as certs go, get one of the big five I would probably go with ISSA as it is the easiest IMO. NASM is widely accepted as well.

Being a trainer is the total antithesis of my main profession which is basically a grim reaper LOL, so I find it especially satisfying

navyfitessex

navyfitessex

Apr 26, 2015
I am biased let me say that in that I have 3 of the NSCA's certs already. But for good reason as well. I got my CPT freshman year of college (while getting an exercise science degree) to work at a commercial gym and make money during college. Ended loving personal training and making darn good money for a part time trainer in college. After my senior year of college I sat for the CSCS since athletics is where my career was headed. Then just 3 years ago I got the TSAC-F as my career switched a bit after I went military. However outside of tactical populations the TSAC-F is not for just any trainer or strength coach at all.

The CSCS and CPT are the two real big players I would highly suggest you get one or both (mind you a field related degree is needed for CSCS) to have as a worldwide recognized certification in the industry today.

Also ask yourself what the cert and organization does for you once you get it(pass it)? Continuing Ed, conferences, workshops, seminars, online classes, webinars, mentorships, career help, news letters etc.....these are what you will want and need once you get certified through anyone. The NSCA has all this and then some which I like as I can easily get the number of CEU's I need every 2 years to keep my certs active and I can network with other certified pros nationwide quite often.

I will give a nice big shout out to ACE as well in that they have been a huge player in helping me direct many discharged and even active duty Marines and Sailors to their Salute You scholarship program to get a full study kit and exam voucher paid for in full. That or a 20% discount on all study and exam materials. Very pro military support ACE is! I also taught their college course 12 week curriculum at Mizzou for two semesters which I thought was very thorough and practical. All but 2 of 38 students passed the exam who enrolled. And those two never made all the classes either.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic