Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Opinions on doing a credit card dispute....

enjoy_tren

enjoy_tren

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
I recently purchased some new LED headlights for my truck that set me back $1500. I bought them from a vendor on a truck forum via paypal, but the item was shipped directly from the manufacture. I had a shop install the lights and when we went to take the protective cover off, we noticed there was a deep scratch near the top of the headlight. The vendor is trying to say that it happened during installation and the forensics such as the location and type of scratch is consistent with errors during the install. Now the shop is a trusted business acquaintance who ive known for quite some time and i doubt that he would knowingly do that. The vendor is purchased it from is working on having the mfg. just replace it but said theres a high probability they wont replace it since it was already on the truck. My other recourse is to file a dispute with my credit card company for "defective item". If I do a charge back, wont that involve paypal since paypal charged my card and forwarded the money to the sellers account? Anything I can do to increase my chances of winning the charge back if it comes to that. I'm going to have the shop write a letter stating that they used a protective cover during the entire installation and the damaged was discovered after the installation upon removing the protective film.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
I recently purchased some new LED headlights for my truck that set me back $1500. I bought them from a vendor on a truck forum via paypal, but the item was shipped directly from the manufacture. I had a shop install the lights and when we went to take the protective cover off, we noticed there was a deep scratch near the top of the headlight. The vendor is trying to say that it happened during installation and the forensics such as the location and type of scratch is consistent with errors during the install. Now the shop is a trusted business acquaintance who ive known for quite some time and i doubt that he would knowingly do that. The vendor is purchased it from is working on having the mfg. just replace it but said theres a high probability they wont replace it since it was already on the truck. My other recourse is to file a dispute with my credit card company for "defective item". If I do a charge back, wont that involve paypal since paypal charged my card and forwarded the money to the sellers account? Anything I can do to increase my chances of winning the charge back if it comes to that. I'm going to have the shop write a letter stating that they used a protective cover during the entire installation and the damaged was discovered after the installation upon removing the protective film.

In my experience, dealing with PayPal is frustrating. Dealing with a credit card company is simple. I have never had a problem on any charge dispute in my life. They just credit your account and do a charge back to the seller. Anyway, I see the vendor gave you a refund. That made it easy. Most likely this is not the 1st time this vendor has sold a defective product.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I doubt you’ll have much luck with the cc company. I was in senior management for a cc for many years. But you never know.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I would say you’d have to dispute it with PayPal first if it was unsuccessful with the vendor. However it’s been taking care of so no need to worry.

You’ll have to upload some pics of these lights.

enjoy_tren

enjoy_tren

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
I doubt you’ll have much luck with the cc company. I was in senior management for a cc for many years. But you never know.
just for shits and giggles dont they have to prove the light wasnt sent out defective? And in order to do that they would have to send a picture of that exact light

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I usually use my debit card that's from a local bank so I can deal with these events face to face if not successful by email or phone. I had a similar problem recently and the best plan is to take pics of the item from delivery to install. I had to pay a restocking fee because I couldn't get a pic showing the damage. I have a good friend who does this kind of work so I have him order the parts problem solved.

T

txabertheory

Jul 29, 2022
You should be sure about the fact that you will win the dispute before proceeding with it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic