Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Open Carry

Titan

Titan

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2010
I have two kids and have kept firearms out of the house for that reason.
Well with all the acts of sending us pagan infidel to see Allah as of late, Ive decided its most likely safer to have a hand gun.
Whats a good side arm to have for personal protection?
I don't want to put a hole in a engine block, just kill any camel jockey Islam rag head firing rounds down range at Walmart, so I can get to da Chopper....LOL
Thanks for your advises...
T. Selfie-With-Smiling-Camel-Goes-Viral-On-Facebook-523627.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DF
Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Glock is my choice 9mm ran every brand all over the planet courtesy of Uncle Sam glock is THE most dependable that is what matters the most.
500 ish bucks will get ya started.
I believe in concealed rather than open carry, that way you have the element of surprise on your side, if the bad guys see you with a gun you will be their first target, better to surprise them, than they surprise you.:)

Get comfy with it and plenty of range time, lasers and lights and night sights for a few hundred etc... for use as a bedside companion.

Last edited:
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
This is a topic I could speak about for days. I'll keep things simple at first though.

For home defense, you can go in a couple directions. We could argue rifle vs shotgun vs handgun, but in reality, use whatever you're comfortable with, shoot well, and you are aware of the risks of them all. Personally though, I prefer a handgun with a hammer. A Sig 229 is an awesome gun. The frame is made a little smaller than it's bigger brother, the 226, so that more people can shoot it comfortably, and, you can still get it in a variety of calibers. It has been found that MOST people shoot the 9mm best though, and with the advancements in 9mm and ammunition in general, the gap has been closed a bit between the .40 and itself.

For concealed carry, I prefer a striker, and more specifically, I go with Glock. I used to be a Glock hater, but the more recent generations of Glocks are pretty amazing, and their service is second to none for people that have had to use them. They are very reliable, and, I tend to shoot them extremely well, even the Glock 43, which is a tiny little thing. I qualified for my CHL with the 43 resulting in a 95% shot placement with it out to 40 feet.

If you get a handgun, I highly recommend a quick access safe, like this one. This is the one I have and it fits two compact/sub compact handguns with a couple space mags. You can get some larger ones as well, but this one sits on my night stand, so I wanted the smaller one.

gvmvb1000-2.jpg

How old are your kids? I Have exposed my kids to guns since they were little. I talk about them, reinforce the dangers and how to respect them, let them shoot a couple of them etc. They now have no interest in them unless we are going shooting, because I desensitized them

Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

MuscleHead
Oct 15, 2011
I believe in concealed rather than open carry, that way you have the element of surprise on your side, if the bad guys see you with a gun you will be their first target, better to surprise them, than they surprise you.:)

Exactly................

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Pick one that fits your hands.
One you can shoot well with.
The brand doesnt matter.

Size matters if you are going to carry the gun.
I carry concealed. Biggest I can carry comfortably is a G23 size gun.
Bigger then that it pinches my ass when I sit down.
Get a good belt and good holster, it makes a huge difference.

I have kids and have the same safe that Shortz posted above.
Got one in the bed room and one by the door. I take the gun off and put in that safe when I walk in the door.
I have a gun safe for everything else.

Yesterday I picked up a Glock 42 and a 34.
Today I picked up a Walter P22.
I have:
Glock 19, 23, 27, 42 and 34.
Colt Commander, Talo version
SW 442
Ruger LCP
Keletc P11 and 32
Probably forgot a few.
Plus the mandatory long guns.
Waiting for another suppressor and an SBR.
Tax stamps is taking forever it seems.

I carry the Glock 23. Its a gen 2, 18 years old and around 20,000 rounds in it.

Whatever you pick, make sure it fits you.
And practice, practice and practice some more.
I never carry a gun unless I have shot 300+ rounds with it with zero failure.
I also make sure I shoot plenty of carry ammo before it goes in rotation.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
Not a fan of open carry. Like others said, keep them guessing. I also agree you need to try out a couple to see what fits you best. Go to a range and rent several to try out & see what feels the best in your hand. Personally I'm not a fan of Glock, nothing against them they just don't fit me as well as others. I'm a huge springfield armory XD fan. I absolutely love them. I also like some of the Sigs. My favorite carry is a kahrarms P380 it's so easy to conceal carry. The kahrarms MK's are great for conceal carry to but pricey.

Side note, I've tried a bunch of cc holsters. The best I have found is the crossbreed supertuck. Every gun I own that I would consider carrying has a crossbreed holster it will fit in.

Last edited:
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Oh, I should have mentioned, open carry is a bad idea. You're the first to go down if someone decides to take a chance. It can also make some people uncomfortable and brings unwanted attention. Keep your tactical advantage by not letting anyone know

B

Bigwhite

MuscleHead
Mar 20, 2013
Simple and reliable, 38 spl revolver...

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Simple and reliable, 38 spl revolver...

Christ man, how old are you? We living in the 1800s now!

Just kidding, revolver is still a respectable and reasonable option as well

Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

MuscleHead
Oct 15, 2011
Personally I'm not a fan of Glock, nothing against them they just don't fit me as well as others. I'm a huge springfield armory XD fan. I absolutely love them.
Side note, I've tried a bunch of cc holsters. The best I have found is the crossbreed supertuck. Every gun I own that I would consider carrying has a crossbreed holster it will fit in.

Dito....................I own 3 XD's and love them all. Got a XD 45acp 5" Tactical, 9mm XD 4" service model (original HS 2000), and also for carry I have a XD 9mm sub-compact. Great pistols. I also agree with the holster. You can carry a pretty large gun and hardly know its there. If you want to save a few bucks, help out a smaller business and get rid of those big annoying crosses on the clips you can check out what I have. TheisHolsters.com He makes the exact same thing but a little cheaper and maybe some better options. I have one thats just like a super tuck deluxe and I love it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 2 members watching this topic