Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Once again, MILK IS AWESOME!

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
"Milk: Healthy and nutritious drink, or fattening, contaminant-filled menace?

You might expect an organization called the Dairy Education Board to promote milk as a good thing. But instead, this advocacy group claims that “Milk is a deadly poison.” Oops. And as Americans have grown more wary of saturated fat, and more concerned about hormones and other substances fed to—and injected into—dairy cows, milk consumption has fallen dramatically. In the post-war days of 1945, the average American was consuming 45 gallons of milk a year. By 2001, per capita consumption was down to just 23 gallons.

But here’s the thing: Plenty of new research says that we should be drinking more milk, not less. In fact, swapping soda, juice, sweetened iced teas, and other beverages for milk might be one major reason why Americans are gaining weight at such a rapid pace. Milk not only helps boost protein intake and cut down on sugar, but consuming calcium through dairy foods such as milk may actually reduce the fat absorption from other foods. Who wouldn’t want that?

Claim #1: “Milk is a fat-burning food.”
The Truth: Maybe. In a 6-month study, University of Tennessee researchers found that overweight people who downed three servings a day of calcium-rich dairy lost more belly fat than those who followed a similar diet minus two or more of the dairy servings. In addition, the researchers discovered that calcium supplements didn’t work as well as milk. Why? They believe that while calcium may increase the rate at which your body burns fat, other active compounds in dairy (such as milk proteins) provide an additional fat-burning effect.

Claim #2: “Drinking milk builds muscle.”
The Truth: Absolutely. In fact, milk is one of the best muscle foods on the planet. Milk is full of high-quality protein: about 80 percent casein and 20 percent whey. Whey is known as a “fast protein” because it’s quickly broken down into amino acids and absorbed into the bloodstream—perfect for post-workout consumption. Casein, on the other hand, is digested more slowly—ideal for providing your body with a steady supply of smaller amounts of protein for a longer period of time, such as between meals or while you sleep.

Claim #3: “Cows are given antibiotics. Doesn’t that make their milk unhealthy?”
The Truth: No one really knows. Some scientists argue that milk from cows given antibiotics leads to antibiotic resistance in humans, making these types of drugs less effective when you take them for an infection. But this has never been proven.

It is true that hormones and antibiotics have never been part of a cow’s natural diet, and they have been shown to have adverse effects on the animals. Canadian researchers, for example, discovered that cows given hormones are more likely to contract an udder infection called mastitis. If you’re uneasy, you can purchase antibiotic-free (and typically hormone-free, as well) milk from producers like Horizon and Organic Valley at most major supermarkets. The cows will certainly thank you.

Claim #4: “Fat-free milk is much healthier than whole.”
The Truth: Nope. While you’ve probably always been told to drink reduced-fat milk, the majority of scientific studies show that drinking whole milk actually improves cholesterol levels—just not as much as drinking fat-free does. One recent exception: Danish researchers found that men who consumed a diet rich in whole milk experienced a slight increase in LDL cholesterol (six points). However, it’s worth noting that these men drank six 8-ounce glasses a day, an unusually high amount. Even so, their triglycerides—another marker of heart-disease risk—decreased by 22 percent. The bottom line: Drinking two to three glasses of milk a day, whether it’s fat-free, 2%, or whole, lowers the likelihood of both heart attack and stroke—a finding confirmed by British scientists."

Something I found thought it would be of interest here.I drink milk a gallon a day.

Raptor

Raptor

Dec 10, 2010
Fantastic post, I've been a milk enthusiast since I was a kid. I go through a gallon in about 2 and a half days. It's great for building muscle and I've never had a cavity or a broken a bone.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Milk post workout is an excellent way to feed your hungry muscles, there is a study some years ago showing milk was a superior protein source post workout.

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
Amazing post! I love milk myself! It's probably one of the best protein sources out there.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
thanks for the feed back

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
one thing is for sure.........I LOVE MILK....good post..........dw

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
I'm not a huge fan of drinking milk straight, but I love it with some oats or mixed with protein powder. If you've never done it before, mix your protein shake with milk instead of water. It can make even "ok" tasting protein taste like a nice milkshake! This is a MUST for me during bulking season.

Iron8

Iron8

Dec 10, 2010
When bulking milk is the way to go. I don't know about the rest of you but i'm young and can get away with whole milk.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
thought this needed bump back to the top

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I stopped drinking it years ago but you guys are making me want a glass right now!

Body_Builder

Body_Builder

MuscleHead
Oct 18, 2010
I don't favor milk for the taste but I drink at least 4 cups whole milk a day.

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
I love me some milk. It does a body good!!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic