Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Old shoulder rotator repair

A1food4u

A1food4u

VIP Member
May 9, 2012
I thought you said your shoulder was messed up!?

Mine.....scope isn't even a consideration. I'll compare my MRI to yours any day of the week! I've been told my options are 1: Total Shoulder Replacement, and 2: Total Shoulder Replacement.

Yes, long painful recovery. I am too scared to have the surgery, not so much because I'm scared of the pain, I'm scared of the downtime and the prospect of things not turning out as well as I would like. So far doing OK with lighter weights and different exercises. My pain tolerance is higher than most.

I don't know anyone who has had a total shoulder, but I know a number of people who have had total knees, and nobody had any nightmare stories about the total knee, and many said they wish they had done it sooner.

I recently did some PT on the shoulder.....it was helpful. Not life-changing, but helpful. I can DM you the things we did if you like.....everything can be done at home.

For now just dealing with the pain and trying to keep my body up.
Your right PV, but that was the left one... and I had the total knee done three years ago. it was painful and alot of work but today I am pain free and one of the one's who wishes I had done it sooner... probably why I'm willing to give this a shot... the other thing is the ortho saying that the muscle tissue all looks good and that he believes that in time it will be 100 %

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
But they say a life of physical activity is good for you...lol...

Your right about the wifey, she's steaming mad that I'm going to finish out the busy season before having it fixed...
her quote " fucking great, you go to work, and are the members gonna wipe your ass for you when you fuck this up, I'm not going to!!!" gotta love a woman with fire.... I run a private club so the Members are the people I feed...

You know Her too well Frigge
OMG! I can hear her saying that too brother! She is a GEM!!

Then to top it off, I was just going through the Let's Go Brandon thread and saw the memes about him crapping his pants at the Vatican. I can see you standing next to one of your ice sculptures squirting one out and the members fleeing like cockroaches when a light comes on, LMAO!

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
no, that's the left shoulder, that one arthritic and has the cracked socket with minor tears.... This one is the "good" shoulder, I was doing some work on the gutters of the house lost balance and fell, caught it on the ladder going down. at that time went in and they set me up with PT but three weeks in I fell at work and threw that arm down to beak the fall.... I was making progress with the PT until that point, after that it was so much worse... we stopped the PT, sent me for an MRI... and here we are...
Bitches be trippin.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

ttyndall

ttyndall

Nov 15, 2022
A1food4u:
I had my left shoulder repaired about 4 years ago. Major work. He was the Head of Orthopaedic Surgery at the hospital so thought I was in good hands. He said it would be laparoscopic and about 3 holes. When I woke up on Thursday my entire shoulder was bandaged. He said it was worse than he could tell from the MRI and had to cut my shoulder open to handle it properly. He had me in Therapy on Saturday which surprised the therapist. Took the bandages off and saw a row of staples.
Over the next months during it kept hurting and popping real bad. At the time he pulled me off therapy I told him something was not right and he looked at my previous MRI and said it should be okay in another 6 months of therapy at home.
At about 24 months I told my wife I had to go have it looked at and she gave me the Deer in the Headlight look. Luckily it was my left shoulder and I am right handed.
I slept on the couch sitting up and leaning back as much as possible. At the beginning with the cast you cannot sleep in the bed. After my first bottle of pain killers he would not give me anymore. At this point I had not even been to a gym. Just doing my exercises with bands at home.

I got on the Internet and started searching. I found a doctor by the name of Dr. Kevin Kaplan (Orthopaedic Surgeon) and noticed right away on his website he was the Head Physician for the Jacksonville Jaguars. I'll admit I'm not a Rocket Scientist working at NASA but I figured he had to get injuries solved and get the players back on the field in as little time as possible. Called and luckily he took outside patients. He did a new MRI and told me I had multiple places torn as well as binding the other Doctor used had broken or cut loose. He mentioned it would be Laparoscopic with approximately 4 holes. At that point I mentioned that was what the other doctor had told me before surgery.
When he left the room the PA told me he had handled over a thousand of these type operations for the doctor and only 2 or 3 had to be opened.
When I woke he explained it all and said he had done it without opening my shoulder.
He also told me because of the previous surgery he wanted to be cautious and not start therapy for 6 weeks. At approximately 10 weeks of therapy he said I was ahead of schedule (I followed the therapists' orders on home therapy during that time to a T) and took my off of office therapy and gave me a home routine.

I am not new to surgery. Hernia, Appendix, Bladder, Right Bicep torn totally off at the bottom, Left Bicep torn totally off at the Top. My wife thinks I have a problem with wanting surgery so she will have to take care of me. She did refuse up front that no matter what was wrong with me she was not a toilet paper holder.

Sorry for making this so long but wanted you to know not to be hesitant if need be to get another opinion. Do your research and not just a few reviews.
O' forgot one important item. Before the second surgery we went and bought motorized Recliners. Luckily this was something my wife had wanted. That made sleeping after the second surgery so much nicer.
She would get me reclined, put a glass of water on the end table with a couple pills laid out of the bottle, put the pillow behind my head and cover me with the blanket. All before she got ready for bed. I felt like I was in a Five Star Hotel. Unfortunately there was a time she realized I could do it myself and cut me off. Fun while it lasted. Except the pain was real.

Good luck on your progress.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . . Sorry for making this so long but wanted you to know not to be hesitant if need be to get another opinion. Do your research and not just a few reviews . . . .
Great post, @ttyndall . I've always thought "TMI" is a lot better than too little info, maybe more so with shoulder problems + solutions than with most of the other things we do to ourselves.

My second thought ( I am allowed 2 a day ) is that the ortho docs used by pro teams and major NCAA teams might be the best ones we regular folks could choose if one will accept us.

ttyndall

ttyndall

Nov 15, 2022
rawdeal, When I called for an appointment I thought upfront he would not take new or outside patients. Surprising me they not only said they did but they accepted my Medicare Advantage plan. Dr. Kaplan has about three different websites. One is his. The others are offshoots of the jaguars and JOI (Jacksonville Othopaedic Institute) which he is on their team.
When I first went to therapy the therapist told me Mike Tyson was just in town for an appointment with Dr. Kaplan. I just got lucky on the one I called. A small percentage of search and a lot of percentage of luck.

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
Just do whatever the surgeon says. I had mine done 4 and a half months ago. Total ruptured rotator cuff, they had to shave off some bone, pull up my bicep and do some work on my elbow.

Range of motion is back but left arm is still weak. I thought I was a tough guy but it's been a journey. Surgeon wont let me in the gym until he gives me the green light.

Sleep somewhat up right, make a barrier with sturdy pillows so you dont roll on to that arm while sleeping. Put that arm on 1 or 2 pillows and keep icing it.

A1food4u

A1food4u

VIP Member
May 9, 2012
A1food4u:
I had my left shoulder repaired about 4 years ago. Major work. He was the Head of Orthopaedic Surgery at the hospital so thought I was in good hands. He said it would be laparoscopic and about 3 holes. When I woke up on Thursday my entire shoulder was bandaged. He said it was worse than he could tell from the MRI and had to cut my shoulder open to handle it properly. He had me in Therapy on Saturday which surprised the therapist. Took the bandages off and saw a row of staples.
Over the next months during it kept hurting and popping real bad. At the time he pulled me off therapy I told him something was not right and he looked at my previous MRI and said it should be okay in another 6 months of therapy at home.
At about 24 months I told my wife I had to go have it looked at and she gave me the Deer in the Headlight look. Luckily it was my left shoulder and I am right handed.
I slept on the couch sitting up and leaning back as much as possible. At the beginning with the cast you cannot sleep in the bed. After my first bottle of pain killers he would not give me anymore. At this point I had not even been to a gym. Just doing my exercises with bands at home.

I got on the Internet and started searching. I found a doctor by the name of Dr. Kevin Kaplan (Orthopaedic Surgeon) and noticed right away on his website he was the Head Physician for the Jacksonville Jaguars. I'll admit I'm not a Rocket Scientist working at NASA but I figured he had to get injuries solved and get the players back on the field in as little time as possible. Called and luckily he took outside patients. He did a new MRI and told me I had multiple places torn as well as binding the other Doctor used had broken or cut loose. He mentioned it would be Laparoscopic with approximately 4 holes. At that point I mentioned that was what the other doctor had told me before surgery.
When he left the room the PA told me he had handled over a thousand of these type operations for the doctor and only 2 or 3 had to be opened.
When I woke he explained it all and said he had done it without opening my shoulder.
He also told me because of the previous surgery he wanted to be cautious and not start therapy for 6 weeks. At approximately 10 weeks of therapy he said I was ahead of schedule (I followed the therapists' orders on home therapy during that time to a T) and took my off of office therapy and gave me a home routine.

I am not new to surgery. Hernia, Appendix, Bladder, Right Bicep torn totally off at the bottom, Left Bicep torn totally off at the Top. My wife thinks I have a problem with wanting surgery so she will have to take care of me. She did refuse up front that no matter what was wrong with me she was not a toilet paper holder.

Sorry for making this so long but wanted you to know not to be hesitant if need be to get another opinion. Do your research and not just a few reviews.
O' forgot one important item. Before the second surgery we went and bought motorized Recliners. Luckily this was something my wife had wanted. That made sleeping after the second surgery so much nicer.
She would get me reclined, put a glass of water on the end table with a couple pills laid out of the bottle, put the pillow behind my head and cover me with the blanket. All before she got ready for bed. I felt like I was in a Five Star Hotel. Unfortunately, there was a time she realized I could do it myself and cut me off. Fun while it lasted. Except the pain was real.

Good luck on your progress.
Thank you for taking the time and giving me such a great walk through your journey ttyndall... it is appreciated more than i can say... I'm hoping to avoid the pitfalls so thanks for laying things out. Glad they finally have it sorted out for you.... I have a recliner thats just wide enough at the shoulders for it to be snug, I have a machine that keeps ice water flowing through a cuff that i used for the knee. You freeze bottles of water and put them in the unit 4 at a time and you get about an hours' worth of Icey water before you need to change them... bought the shoulder attachment.

I do hear the shoulder is worse than the knee and the knee was no picnic.... hopefully Wifey will give me a little TLC....

Thanks again brother!!!

A1food4u

A1food4u

VIP Member
May 9, 2012
Just do whatever the surgeon says. I had mine done 4 and a half months ago. Total ruptured rotator cuff, they had to shave off some bone, pull up my bicep and do some work on my elbow.

Range of motion is back but left arm is still weak. I thought I was a tough guy but it's been a journey. Surgeon wont let me in the gym until he gives me the green light.

Sleep somewhat up right, make a barrier with sturdy pillows so you dont roll on to that arm while sleeping. Put that arm on 1 or 2 pillows and keep icing it.
This is great to hear... thanks for sharing. I have a cozy snug recliner, so I'm hoping that will work.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
rawdeal, When I called for an appointment I thought upfront he would not take new or outside patients. Surprising me they not only said they did but they accepted my Medicare Advantage plan. Dr. Kaplan has about three different websites. One is his. The others are offshoots of the jaguars and JOI (Jacksonville Othopaedic Institute) which he is on their team.
When I first went to therapy the therapist told me Mike Tyson was just in town for an appointment with Dr. Kaplan. I just got lucky on the one I called. A small percentage of search and a lot of percentage of luck.
LONG time Boxing fan from way back when Tyson was a 19yo prodigy from NYC, first from Cus D'Mato, Tony Atlas, later Kevin Rooney ... still later, regrettably, Don King. Ya never knew where Tyson's mindset was, but you always figured that he would have NFL, NBA, NCAA, etc type contacts with the Primo doctors when he became an icon.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic