Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Old man strength is bullshit after what age?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I think around 45 I lost my old man strength.....shit just seems heavier now than in my late 30s/early 40s.

I am going to do a tren ace run and see if it comes backo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Along with age affecting training, it would be interesting to hear how you compare the coming Tren run with any you'd done in the past when we were all young and invincible.
Srs ... a separate thread in the future, maybe?

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
Along with age affecting training, it would be interesting to hear how you compare the coming Tren run with any you'd done in the past when we were all young and invincible.
Tren is mostly a younger man's drug.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You could look at Donnie Thompson who totaled 3K in his 40's.

I think absolute strength peaks in the 30's. I think speed strength peaks in the 20's. You lose explosiveness as you age.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
You could look at Donnie Thompson who totaled 3K in his 40's.

I think absolute strength peaks in the 30's. I think speed strength peaks in the 20's. You lose explosiveness as you age.

Gear got soooo much better between Donnies late 20s (denim and canvas) and his 40s. Geared lifting isn’t apples to apples and I’d wager that Donnie just got much better at using much better gear, rather than his body being stronger in his 40s than it was in his prime.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011

Yes for sure.....i have a few keys ways to gauge my strength.

Most of them involve punching power but I have a few traditional exercises I can judge by....bench,squat,deads..etc.

I have 4 heavy bags set up....a 190lbs round water bag....150lbs thai bag ....16lb water bag( replicates the human skull) and a 50lbs punching bag.......so when you are feeling real strong you can crack the bags and get a good gauge and your power/timing /speed .

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
1st Pic with my hat on I'm 6'5" in my 30's just finished my 1st AAS cycle ever, I weighed about 244#'s. 2nd pic is me at the beach sitting in a chair I was in my mid 40's and weighed around 280-290#'s. 3rd pic is me in my 50's weighing about 265#'s and this was 5 yrs after my "open heart surgery", so I'm actually 56 yrs old in the tank top pic w hat turned backwards and now-a- days I'm 57 so not much has changed from that pic at all... No Pains, no aches to speak of (just minor here and there),B/P is perfect e.d. along with my heart rate, and my blood work I just did Friday was On-Point everything being perfect! Also my Avatar pic I was early 40's at 300+
I'm absolutely convinced that it's possible to look your best in the 50's. Nice work bro!

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Strength is relative i guess.

Just turned 54. Been struggling for the last 18 months or so.

Still managed a 545 lb deadlift on my birthday though. Not sure I will ever squat or deadlift 600+ again but I did early in 2020 at 52.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
For me, I feel like lifting 'heavy' got harder at 45-46. Up to that point I was at the peak of my strength.

The one thing that makes it hard to tell, is my 'down turn' coincided with a car accident where I fractured my spine and suffered 3 disk injuries.

I dont know what would have been otherwise...but these days I do what I can, and generally am always leaving 1-2 reps in the tank and not pushing it.

From time to time I get a bug up my ass to see what I can still do and I dont feel too far off my peak but hard to say.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Gear got soooo much better between Donnies late 20s (denim and canvas) and his 40s. Geared lifting isn’t apples to apples and I’d wager that Donnie just got much better at using much better gear, rather than his body being stronger in his 40s than it was in his prime.

That's an interesting point. I'll bring that up to him and see what he thinks but you are right the gear did evolve quite rapidly.

Reactions: SAD
SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
That's an interesting point. I'll bring that up to him and see what he thinks but you are right the gear did evolve quite rapidly.

Absolutely awesome that you have a direct line to him bro. I’m very interested in his thoughts on perhaps also his tendons and ligaments needed the extra time to support the incredible weights he was pushing, as well as whether his “extra” supplements changed drastically during that time as well.

It makes sense that you would know Donnie, because y’all seem to be very like minded. I know he was really intelligent and big on mobility and proper movement through joint health (which was always a surprise to people because he was hyuge as fuck but always stretching his back/hips/hammies/psoas/etc in unique and effective ways). And we all know you’re a scientist when it comes to your chosen disciplines as well.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Absolutely awesome that you have a direct line to him bro. I’m very interested in his thoughts on perhaps also his tendons and ligaments needed the extra time to support the incredible weights he was pushing, as well as whether his “extra” supplements changed drastically during that time as well.

It makes sense that you would know Donnie, because y’all seem to be very like minded. I know he was really intelligent and big on mobility and proper movement through joint health (which was always a surprise to people because he was hyuge as fuck but always stretching his back/hips/hammies/psoas/etc in unique and effective ways). And we all know you’re a scientist when it comes to your chosen disciplines as well.

Anyone can talk to him. He's quite accessible and a very nice guy. I've learned a lot from the little chats I've had with him (the are not in person unfortunately).

Yes, he takes a very scientific approach to training and will find individuals smarter than himself and learn from them which is exactly what I have done in my approach as well.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic