Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

NPC Membership

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
All of my competing has been done in PLing over the last few decades. The RPS was my chosen Fed. If anyone knew Gene, he was all about the sport of Powerlifting and getting everyone, young and old, male and female into competing. The cost was about $90 per event with a $35 crossover. Entry fees to see the meet was $10. There were no "Federation Memberships" that you needed for a meet.

I heard from a lady recently who competed in an NPC competition and while chatting, she told me he put out $110 for the local show and $135 to be an NPC member. On top of that, her husband had to put out $60 for the pre-judging and finals to see her.

Save me the "In the grand scheme of things", this is ridiculous. I get promoters want to make money but this shit is done at high school at the local level. As for the NPC, what the hell are they doing for their money? I can see why many people have no desire to compete in the sport of bodybuilding, especially our youth.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Promoters dont get any of the NPC dues. Promoters are free to charge whatever they want for a competitor to compete in a certain division. Most of the money charged to competitors goes towards trophies, medals....National qualifier shows typically charge more and offer better trophies. Bodybuilding has never been a cheap sport....

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
I promoted a few shows back in the day, here is the breakdown

Sponsors - pay for printing of flyers, insurance, costs of venue
Competitor fees- pay for trophies, judges
Ticket sales - what the promoter takes home

You wont get wealthy putting on a show.....

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
I promoted a few shows back in the day, here is the breakdown

Sponsors - pay for printing of flyers, insurance, costs of venue
Competitor fees- pay for trophies, judges
Ticket sales - what the promoter takes home

You wont get wealthy putting on a show.....

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Promoters dont get any of the NPC dues. Promoters are free to charge whatever they want for a competitor to compete in a certain division. Most of the money charged to competitors goes towards trophies, medals....National qualifier shows typically charge more and offer better trophies. Bodybuilding has never been a cheap sport....
My bitch isn't over the promoters as much as the NPC. What do they do for the average person? Usually a membership has some benefits, where are they with the NPC?

As for the fee of $90 to cover a trophy, thats high even if they place the top 5 and pay for 5 judges but I'll take your word for that. I have no idea what a local judge would get.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
All of my competing has been done in PLing over the last few decades. The RPS was my chosen Fed. If anyone knew Gene, he was all about the sport of Powerlifting and getting everyone, young and old, male and female into competing. The cost was about $90 per event with a $35 crossover. Entry fees to see the meet was $10. There were no "Federation Memberships" that you needed for a meet.

I heard from a lady recently who competed in an NPC competition and while chatting, she told me he put out $110 for the local show and $135 to be an NPC member. On top of that, her husband had to put out $60 for the pre-judging and finals to see her.

Save me the "In the grand scheme of things", this is ridiculous. I get promoters want to make money but this shit is done at high school at the local level. As for the NPC, what the hell are they doing for their money? I can see why many people have no desire to compete in the sport of bodybuilding, especially our youth.

RPS.....now there 's a new one. They were not around when I lifted but I do know a few of the names, Gene Rychlak and his wife, Sebastian Burns and I use to lift in quite a few APA meets and Carl Seeker as well. The last time I saw Gene was in Dallas, August 17th, 2008 at the Inzer Superlifting Pro Bench meet that we both put on at the Europa. He did 850 and I bleieve got an injury. I haven't seen Sebastian Burns since the APA Worlds maybe 2001. Seems like Gene was trying to get me to run meets for him back around 2008 but it was a different federation, can't remember which one. Gene is really a cool guy.

I put on meets for about 10 years, Had I charged what BB meets charge and gave out the shitty tropies they give out, I would have been hung by the balls at the end of the meet. With powerlifting you have to have a shit ton of equipment for the stage and worm up area. Cost so much more to run a meet that what BB meets spend. I guess I went the wrong direction. No matter how much money I spent on trophies people still bitched about it. kind of hard to make money running 1-2 platforms and having 50-60 lifters. Especially when you have to spend $40-$50 on each trophy. Then everyone has to have their own division. When this raw and drug free crap got started I gave it up. I saw way too many meet directors take money for drug testing and toss the samples in the dumpster...... ahummmm......Gus Rethwisch, remember Ryan Kennelly and he supposedly tested negative?

Here is the breakdown for powerlifting
Sponsors - Inzer is the only one who sponsored shit......thank God for Izner or I would have gone bankrupt putting on 1 meet
Competitor fees- pay for trophies, judges, spotters, loaders
Ticket sales - good luck getting anyone to pay. The only ones who show up are family members.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
One thing I will add to this is the cost of the space to have the meet. EXPENSIVE!!!!! To have a meet in a hotel you also have to block off rooms and the bbanquet space to have the meet with risers and seats. I one time had to put a $10K check down as a deposit and took it up the ASSHOLE when we didn't have enough stay in the hotel block to fill up the rooms. Never put on another meet in a hotel again because most powerlifters want to show up at the last minute instead of paying in advance like you ask. Then you get fucked in the ass because you didn't order enough trophies and most enter 1-2 divisions. Everyone wins a fucking trophy. Then they bitch about your spotters, judges and equipment.

Branch Warren and Bian Dobson put on a meet here in Houston once a year and pays a fortune for the space at NRG to hold it. But he will have 500+ athletes show up and fill every seat in the house with standing room only with tickets running from $45+ each. Not to mention the 100+ people there paying him for booth space to sell supplements and shit. I honestly missed the boat going with powerlifting and should have gone with BB.

When Inzer and I put on the Powerlifting Superfest at the Europa in Dallas, we were invited by Ed and Bettie Pariso. I have know Ed for a while. Anyway, Ed rented out the entire Dallas CIvic Center. Plus a huge block of room at a near by hotel. It was a fortune but he make a buttload of money from doing it. IN two days, there were a ton of spectators, a room full of people selling things and some kind of special athletic even going on in every corner fo the room. We ran 3 powerlifting meets from raw, to pro.

Hey, at least the NPC gives members their NPC magazine.

Brian Dobson wins first place at the Europa Powerlifting Superfest raw contest shaking hand with Josh Bryant
DSCF2044[1].jpg

Setting up for the Europa Powerlifting Superfest Pro Bench

DSCF2052[1].jpg

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
I was going to say, u use to get a NPC Magazine....

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Forgot to mention, u have to pay for a guest poser, usually a local novice who is competing for a Pro Card or someone who is already a Pro

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I am still not sure what the NPC does for their money.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
They collect $240 annual membership and all you get is a magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love training and the body building lifestyle. I also like fishing and have no desire to read about it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic