Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Not so much injured as just sick as a dog

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Ok I'm done with this shit. A poster asks for an opinion and now we have a pissing match ! Take it to your own thread . Hell start a " pissing match " thread .

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
Edit: Here's some sources

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/what-is-vitamin-d/#

Vitamin D, Third Edition by Feldman D, Pike JW, Adams JS. Elsevier Academic Press, 2011

"Vitamin D is very important for strong bones. Calcium and phosphorus are essential for developing the structure and strength of your bones, and you need vitamin D to absorb these minerals. Even if you eat foods that contain a lot of calcium and phosphorus, without enough vitamin D, you can’t absorb them into your body. Vitamin D is important for general good health, and researchers now are discovering that vitamin D may be important for many other reasons outside of good bone health. Some of the functions of the body that vitamin D helps with include:

Immune system, which helps you to fight infection
Muscle function
Cardiovascular function, for a healthy heart and circulation
Respiratory system –for healthy lungs and airways
Brain development
Anti-cancer effects
Doctors are still working to fully understand how vitamin D works within your body and how it affects your overall health."

DOSAGES

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/

Varying from 5-10,000 UI p/day (lots of linked studies in the lower part of the page)

PROBIOTICS

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/011211p20.shtml

"Probiotics’ Potential — Research Suggests Beneficial Bacteria May Support Immune Health
By Sharon Palmer, R"

"One key player in immune health is the gut, a part of the body that is constantly exposed to toxins and foreign antigens, such as those from food and microbes. According to nutrition and immune expert Simin Meydani, DVM, PhD, director of the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging and the Nutritional Immunology Laboratory at Tufts University, who spoke at a December 4, 2009, Tufts seminar, “The gut is the largest immune organ in the body, accounting for 25% of the immune cells in the body that provide 50% of the body’s immune response. There are more than 400 species of bacteria residing in the gut, and they have symbiotic relationships with your body.” Meydani called the gut flora “the forgotten body organ” because of its vital yet underappreciated health functions."

http://www.prevention.com/health/health-concerns/more-proof-probiotics-boost-immunity

"The latest research published in the Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport found that New Zealand athletes had about 40% fewer colds and gastrointestinal infections when they took a probiotic compared to when they took a placebo."

http://www.kibowbiotech.com/probiotics-and-immune-health.html

Probiotics and Immune Health

"In 1994, the World Health Organization deemed probiotics to be the next-most important immune defense system when commonly prescribed antibiotics are rendered useless by antibiotic resistance. The gastrointestinal tract, the body's primary immune organ with 70-80% of the body's immune cells are located in the gastrointestinal tract. The immune system ensures an appropriate response to non-harmful components such as food and harmful components such as certain viruses."

Conclusion: HARDLY a bullshit claim, in my opinion, to advice someone to supplement vit. D and probiotics!
We get way too little healthy bacteria through our ruined processed food, and it's ruining our guts.

Ok I'm done with this shit. A poster asks for an opinion and now we have a pissing match ! Take it to your own thread . Hell start a " pissing match " thread .
This last contribution is relevant to OP, so I'm posting it. Pissing match = completed.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Edit: Here's some sources

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/what-is-vitamin-d/#

Vitamin D, Third Edition by Feldman D, Pike JW, Adams JS. Elsevier Academic Press, 2011

"Vitamin D is very important for strong bones. Calcium and phosphorus are essential for developing the structure and strength of your bones, and you need vitamin D to absorb these minerals. Even if you eat foods that contain a lot of calcium and phosphorus, without enough vitamin D, you can’t absorb them into your body. Vitamin D is important for general good health, and researchers now are discovering that vitamin D may be important for many other reasons outside of good bone health. Some of the functions of the body that vitamin D helps with include:

Immune system, which helps you to fight infection
Muscle function
Cardiovascular function, for a healthy heart and circulation
Respiratory system –for healthy lungs and airways
Brain development
Anti-cancer effects
Doctors are still working to fully understand how vitamin D works within your body and how it affects your overall health."

DOSAGES

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/

Varying from 5-10,000 UI p/day (lots of linked studies in the lower part of the page)

THIS is a BLOG, is NOT evidence based and certainly does not support you claim of Vitamin D supplementation
Heck there is only ONE reference cited at the end of this blog, supported by YOUR contributions.

PROBIOTICS

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/011211p20.shtml

"Probiotics’ Potential — Research Suggests Beneficial Bacteria May Support Immune Health
By Sharon Palmer, R"

"One key player in immune health is the gut, a part of the body that is constantly exposed to toxins and foreign antigens, such as those from food and microbes. According to nutrition and immune expert Simin Meydani, DVM, PhD, director of the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging and the Nutritional Immunology Laboratory at Tufts University, who spoke at a December 4, 2009, Tufts seminar, “The gut is the largest immune organ in the body, accounting for 25% of the immune cells in the body that provide 50% of the body’s immune response. There are more than 400 species of bacteria residing in the gut, and they have symbiotic relationships with your body.” Meydani called the gut flora “the forgotten body organ” because of its vital yet underappreciated health functions."

Yea so what else is new? Probiotics while potentially helpful in the restoration of "normal" GI flora in those patients with acute GI disorders are no panacea and to tell someone with one liner vague complaints, as the OP, they have "F .......LOW" immunity amendable to Vitamin D and Probiotic therapy is BS K.

http://www.prevention.com/health/health-concerns/more-proof-probiotics-boost-immunity

"The latest research published in the Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport found that New Zealand athletes had about 40% fewer colds and gastrointestinal infections when they took a probiotic compared to when they took a placebo."

http://www.kibowbiotech.com/probiotics-and-immune-health.html

Probiotics and Immune Health

"In 1994, the World Health Organization deemed probiotics to be the next-most important immune defense system when commonly prescribed antibiotics are rendered useless by antibiotic resistance. The gastrointestinal tract, the body's primary immune organ with 70-80% of the body's immune cells are located in the gastrointestinal tract. The immune system ensures an appropriate response to non-harmful components such as food and harmful components such as certain viruses."

(Hmm thats clearly an extrapolated WHO quote, at best, since the Liver, Spleen, Lungs and bone marrow are considered the primary components of the hemopoietic system. The GI tract however is particularly important during years 1-4 when new food antigen exposure is occurring)

If you would actually read any of these studies K, perhaps then you would understand how poorly controlled they were. For instance a 40% reduction in colds were observed, oh really? Hmm how was a "cold determined" did they perform (the diagnostic gold standard) antigen/antibody panels on ANY of those viruses known to be associated with the common cold? Nope! What did they do to prove benefit? Passed out subjective questioners to participants and checked T-lymphocyte counts. The latter can be effected by innumerable antigens.

Conclusion: HARDLY a bullshit claim, in my opinion, to advice someone to supplement vit. D and probiotics!
We get way too little healthy bacteria through our ruined processed food, and it's ruining our guts.

Our guts are being ruined? Evidence, not, but an effective means for alarmists to sound their alarm.

This last contribution is relevant to OP, so I'm posting it. Pissing match = completed.

Apologies RR
Jim

Last edited:
Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks everyone. Didn't mean to start ww3 over it tho ;-)
Well, it started as a head cold. Then I got a cough. Then I thought I was recovering, for like 2 days things looked up, then I started training again, things went major down hill so I didn't train after that... So yesterday pretty much just after posting this, my partner made me go to the doctor. Turns out I have simultaneously acquired a sinus and chest infection. So now I'm on antibiotics.
I will do some research into boosting my immune system for future me tho. I hate being sick and it seems to be getting more and more often now so something is definitely up with that.

C

CBS

Jan 7, 2014

Am I missing something here? Were posts deleted in this thread? After reading through all the posts, I fail to see anything that could be construed as a "pissing match" or considered "shit" by even the most ardent proponent of censorship's standards. I saw a member recommend vitamin D to the OP and other members questioned that recommendation while requesting supporting evidence. I'm all for discouraging pissing contests but a substantive discussion that will assuredly benefit the OP as well as other members ain't that.

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
And btw dr jim, doctors in Australia rarely perform labs unless they've already given about five lots of antibiotics and still nothing has changed.
And what is DM and HTN?

C

CBS

Jan 7, 2014
And btw dr jim, doctors in Australia rarely perform labs unless they've already given about five lots of antibiotics and still nothing has changed.
And what is DM and HTN?

Diabetes mellitus and hypertension.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
No cbs no posts were deleted.my point was made .

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Well, it started as a head cold. Then I got a cough. Then I thought I was recovering, for like 2 days things looked up, then I started training again, things went major down hill so I didn't train after that... So yesterday pretty much just after posting this, my partner made me go to the doctor. Turns out I have simultaneously acquired a sinus and chest infection. So now I'm on antibiotics.
I will do some research into boosting my immune system for future me tho. I hate being sick and it seems to be getting more and more often now so something is definitely up with that.

If it helps Enasni,There was anasty bug going around . I recently went through a similar bout, it lasted a few months so don't feel too bad. I felt like I had a cold then felt like it was passing then BAM I felt flu like symptons followed by a respiratory infection. It was pretty bad but just kept chuggin fluids, otc cold meds, and it finally passed. One point after a few rounds of antibiotics I felt gut sick and pounded don probiotics for a week straight, my gut felt better and eventually the cold cleared

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah the probiotics after a course of antibiotics I think is a must.
I've been looking into the whole immune boosting thing too. Seems to me unless you're actually deficient in something important it's not really possible to do. So I'm going to look at getting tested to see if any deficiencies show up. Then i can supplement what's necessary and no wasted dough.

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011

So its mainly a chest infection? not a throat or lung infection...

I had a bad lung infection a few years ago that started as a throat infection.. I ended up in bed for three weeks and felt very bad having trouble breathing and also coughing and choking...
My GP Prescribed me a few different anitbiotics over a period of a few week, but they seemed to have no to minimal positive effect.
After the antibiotic failures (antibiotics don't work on viruses} he decided to prescribe me Prednisone, which had an instant and dramatic effect on the inflamation and my ability to breath ...

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
So its mainly a chest infection? not a throat or lung infection...

I had a bad lung infection a few years ago that started as a throat infection.. I ended up in bed for three weeks and felt very bad having trouble breathing and also coughing and choking...
My GP Prescribed me a few different anitbiotics over a period of a few week, but they seemed to have no to minimal positive effect.
After the antibiotic failures (antibiotics don't work on viruses} he decided to prescribe me Prednisone, which had an instant and dramatic effect on the inflamation and my ability to breath ...

Well now that's an interesting differentiation. I kinda presumed by chest that he meant lung. I can't imagine what else is in your chest besides your lungs (and heart but a heart infection sounds way too dire) that could get an infection. Lungs are by their nature a hot bed for microbe life. It's warm n wet n aerated and there's mucus for a water and nutrient source.
I actually think it probably started with a sinus infection because my face has hurt for quite a while. And then it's migrated to my chest because I have a history of asthma so it's already vulnerable to infection anyway so just breathing could make it travel. Just my personal theory with some hindsight I'm certainly no doctor. On a side note I feel no better than I did yesterday but then I guess one must give these things enough time to work. I will certainly keep what you have said in mind tho. Another 2 weeks and I will not be responsible for my actions... :p

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic