Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Non overhead shoulder workouts

S

stevemc

Nov 19, 2011
Hey bros Was looking for some good workouts for my left shoulder impingment my rear delt is underdeveloped.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Facepulls, band pull aparts, lying raises, low cable rows.

If you have an impingement though you should be doing a lot of rehab every day. Stick stretches, band pull aparts, facepulls as well as soft tissue work in the areas around the scapula.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I get an excellent rear delt workout from bent over dumbbell flyes.

When my shoulders are not right, I do rotator exercises, including standing rotators where you rotate 15lb dumbbells from overhead with bent elbows, to straight out front with bent elbows and lying rotators where you take a 15lb dumbbell, lie on your side, and with bent elbow, raise and lower the weight from your elbow as high as you can hold it to as low as you can hold it, without straightening the arm.

Last time my shoulders gave me trouble, I did these for 6 months, and the pain cleared up and never came back.

Keep us posted on how you are doing!

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
rotate your elbows in a little more during your DB press. it opens up the joint space and is less painful. you will be hitting your front delt more but this does help. i use bands every workout hits the rear delt great

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
Using bands I'd do the following:

Lateral Raise
Forward Shoulder Press (it's like a standing bench press)
Shrugs
Front Shoulder Raise
Upright Rows
Face Pulls
Pull Aparts
Band Shoulder Rotation - External
Band Shoulder Rotation - Internal

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Face pulls
DB Raises laying on the incline bench for rear delts, fronts and sides. I have torn both rotators so I don't go above 90 degrees, for me if I go above even by accident it engages my shoulder in a bad way and I'll feel it.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Impingements are a bit difficult to deal with. SOmetimes they just need rest to let the inflammation go down. That in mind, do upright rowing movements hurt?

There is one I do that doesn't hurt like a barbell upright row. Although, keep in mind, no other upright row hits the shoulders like a wide grip BB upright row.

Try these. They are called armpit rows or monkey rows. I do them regularly. I do them on back day, since its a pulling movement, then finish off shoulders with lateral raises, plate raises (front) and reverse pec deck. Seems to work decent.

For Armpit rows, you hold the DBs at your side, while standing. You then pull the DBs up, as if slighting them up your side and in to your armpits, and shrug in one movement. Shrugging here is both beneficial for trap and shoulders, but also, it will help prevent pain if you have shoulder issues. Start light and work up. Going too heavy will greatly limit ROM on this one.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
Impingements are a bit difficult to deal with. SOmetimes they just need rest to let the inflammation go down. That in mind, do upright rowing movements hurt?

There is one I do that doesn't hurt like a barbell upright row. Although, keep in mind, no other upright row hits the shoulders like a wide grip BB upright row.

Try these. They are called armpit rows or monkey rows. I do them regularly. I do them on back day, since its a pulling movement, then finish off shoulders with lateral raises, plate raises (front) and reverse pec deck. Seems to work decent.

For Armpit rows, you hold the DBs at your side, while standing. You then pull the DBs up, as if slighting them up your side and in to your armpits, and shrug in one movement. Shrugging here is both beneficial for trap and shoulders, but also, it will help prevent pain if you have shoulder issues. Start light and work up. Going too heavy will greatly limit ROM on this one.

will try this one. loving this thread

S

stevemc

Nov 19, 2011
Great posts guys I appreciate it. I have been using bands everyday and did the stick yesterday and that shit was hard lol my range of motion is terrible but they feel so good. Also I'm going to regularly do facepulls now is doing these everyday going to effect other workouts or is every other day better.
And to answer your question upright rows hurt last time I did them but I took them out of my regimen years ago. This problem started when I was in high school my football coach had us doing a lot of exercises with bad form like uprights which he called bow ties. He had us use s close grip which wasn't good and that's when the pain started. I plan to add then into my routine now.

Last edited:
Sandpig

Sandpig

MuscleHead
Jul 13, 2012
For rear delts I like an old Serge Nubret movement.

Lie on a bench on your side. Then lower a DB down in front of your face at about chin level. It's just like a single arm bent over lateral only you're lying down.

The stretch, if you let it down all the way, is killer.

S

stevemc

Nov 19, 2011
Oh ya! my doc briefly mentioned that one I forgot all about it. I have always had big broad shoulders so never really isolated rear delts let this be a lesson learned that this is what happens when you skip body parts and only work the bigger muscles. Your literally only as strong as your weakest muscles.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I say fix that impingement and than perform OHP's and variations of it. Do shoulder dislocations aka... stick stretches to get that mobility in your shoulder again and slowly work OHP's back in the mix.

I have serious shoulder issues that require me to perform prehab work 4 or so days a week. Anything upright'ish would cause me a great deal of pain. Not to mention it wouldn't cause the shoulder development that an OHP creates.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic