Rolanalon
What's New?

NFL's new policy on national anthem

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
All well and good with regard to the NFL as a "private entity" .... then lets get rid of the ... military flyovers, and other military promotions during "private entity" game/entertainment/business time.

fair enough... good point.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Thanks TG2,

There's got to be a sane solution, and it seems all reference to nationalism/flags, military, etc, shouldn't be a part of private entity/game time/entertainment. Unless it's the Olympics representing competition between countries, obviously. But really, the whole National Anthem thing could be eliminated from sporting events. Lets just keep it all secular for everyone, instead of forcing nationalism into a problematic religious ritual.
If it wasn't for the fact that there is promotion of nationalism at sports events, then the protests there would have never had any rhyme or reason there. The fact that games had already introduced nationalistic rituals, is what invited the protest.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Closest I come to being a rapid sports fan is Boxing, been one for decades. I can still remember when anthems were not part of Boxing, then began sneaking in. Pretty sure Spacehair Don King the latter day PT Barnum showman of a promoter was behind that, kinda doubt his motives were to show patriotism or to show support for police or soldiers, maybe more about supporting his bank account. Then and now, the audience and the fighters show very varied degrees of respect for the ceremony. Boxing, and its fans have never indulged themselves much in dignity or family values, but at least they escape the divisive debate football, and the nation, now endure.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You know what they say about why Don King's hair is the way it is???..... to hide the HORNS.....

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
You know what they say about why Don King's hair is the way it is???..... to hide the HORNS.....

LOL. Been aware of that bastard for years, including the long list of fighters suing him for cheating them on money. Always assumed it was HIM who ruined the magnificent fighting machine Mike Tyson by playing the race card and wooing him away from the White handlers who brought him from nowhere to the irresistable force he was in the early, glory, years. Of course, Mike was so fucked up he might have eventually done that to himself anyway, but King hastened it.

Never heard that one before, BI, it's a great line, thanks.

BigGameHunter

BigGameHunter

VIP Member
Jun 26, 2012
Couple of things about me. 1)I’ve been fuked with by police and don’t like them as a group. 2) Recently ‘woken’ myself and couldn’t agree more about MOST of what has been said about the military industrial complex. Frankly I feel pretty foolish about some of the $hit we’ve swallowed.

now

I’m not ‘formally” trained in debate but I did use to date a late 80s HS national champ. My assessment of this argument (invisible hand) and it’s relevance to NFL protests is it’s either:

a by product of what is passed off as education now a days .....if so you should seriously consider that Cap didn’t say a fukin word about police violence until he was a benchwarmer. So by this logic (military industrial complex...etc) it’s entirely possible this whole thing was brought out by a greedy agents invisible hand. ....just saying

Or

This is an excellent use of both deflection and the “straw man” argument.

Just because you are correct on one or two non related points doesn’t mean they prove this one.
Thanks TG2,

There's got to be a sane solution, and it seems all reference to nationalism/flags, military, etc, shouldn't be a part of private entity/game time/entertainment. Unless it's the Olympics representing competition between countries, obviously. But really, the whole National Anthem thing could be eliminated from sporting events. Lets just keep it all secular for everyone, instead of forcing nationalism into a problematic religious ritual.
If it wasn't for the fact that there is promotion of nationalism at sports events, then the protests there would have never had any rhyme or reason there. The fact that games had already introduced nationalistic rituals, is what invited the protest.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic