pbtom
What's New?

NFL's new policy on national anthem

captaincaveman

captaincaveman

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 17, 2010
Legal precedent:
"More recently, however, the courts have warned that if an employer was aware of the “new” grounds to terminate at the time of dismissal but did not rely on them, the employer may be considered to have condoned the employee’s misconduct: Nicholls v. Columbia Taping Tools Ltd., 2013 BCSC 2201 at para. 190 citing Nishina v. Azuma Foods (Canada) Co., Ltd., 2010 BCSC 502. Accordingly, the longer an employer allows an employee’s misconduct to continue without warning or discipline, the harder it becomes for the employer to demonstrate just cause in the face of a wrongful dismissal claim.

In other words, communication is key. Employers must ensure that they provide adequate warning, verbally and in writing, to an employee when he or she fails to meet the objective standards of performance or the appropriate standards of behaviour in the workplace. In the absence of taking such precautionary steps, employers run the risk of fighting an uphill battle when trying to justify termination for cause in court."

I don't think the NFL was very clear or uniform in communicating standards of performance.

-CC-

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Just surprised that it took the NFL that long to actually use their head. Why would the NFL allow something to continue that was alienating a decent segment of their fan base? Cowardice?
Poor leadership.

The NFL reached a peak a couple years ago and viewership is in decline for a multitude of reasons, including allowing the kneeling to go on while its fan base rejected it.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
The reality is the Department of Defense pays for them to even be out there It's called patriotism to support the war machine,once you figure that out ????? https://www.truthdig.com/articles/pentagon-paid-nfl-displays-patriotism/

Good article. It's definitely 'Faketriotism,' not Patriotism. Patriotism isn't being a follower of the govt's will... it's resisting govt when govt is full of shit that opposes our true Liberties. Case in point, opposing King George.
Here's some great words from Ron Paul:

The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George. I accept the definition of patriotism as that effort to resist oppressive state power.

The true patriot is motivated by a sense of responsibility and out of self-interest for himself, his family, and the future of his country to resist government abuse of power. He rejects the notion that patriotism means obedience to the state. Resistance need not be violent, but the civil disobedience that might be required involves confrontation with the state and invites possible imprisonment.

Peaceful, nonviolent revolutions against tyranny have been every bit as successful as those involving military confrontation. Mahatma Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., achieved great political successes by practicing nonviolence, and yet they suffered physically at the hands of the state. But whether the resistance against government tyrants is nonviolent or physically violent, the effort to overthrow state oppression qualifies as true patriotism.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Good article. It's definitely 'Faketriotism,' not Patriotism. Patriotism isn't being a follower of the govt's will... it's resisting govt when govt is full of shit that opposes our true Liberties. Case in point, opposing King George.
Here's some great words from Ron Paul:

The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George. I accept the definition of patriotism as that effort to resist oppressive state power.

The true patriot is motivated by a sense of responsibility and out of self-interest for himself, his family, and the future of his country to resist government abuse of power. He rejects the notion that patriotism means obedience to the state. Resistance need not be violent, but the civil disobedience that might be required involves confrontation with the state and invites possible imprisonment.

Peaceful, nonviolent revolutions against tyranny have been every bit as successful as those involving military confrontation. Mahatma Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., achieved great political successes by practicing nonviolence, and yet they suffered physically at the hands of the state. But whether the resistance against government tyrants is nonviolent or physically violent, the effort to overthrow state oppression qualifies as true patriotism.

It almost sounds like you’re saying that these football players are more patriotic than our service members.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Re
It almost sounds like you’re saying that these football players are more patriotic than our service members.

Defying govt, rather than unquestioningly obeying govt, can be considered more "Patriotic" when govt has become a corporate and banking owned whore that limits Freedom rather than protecting it. The Military Industrial Complex is a H Y U G E for profit business (primarily). it has nothing to do with "National Defense" nor protecting Liberties.
A couple examples of how loose the game is played:
SOFEX:
IDEX:

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
A few awakened veterans:

Adam Kokesh:
Stan Goff:
Michael Prysner:

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Didn’t really realize what I was getting myself into.

To each, their own.

Fair enough, I understand. I realize it gets involved, but hey - It is you and I and others engaging in discourse like this one that can change (and need to) the train of thought toward militarism, authoritarianism, mass murder in the name of country, etc. We go about changing it by changing how we speak and think of it. We change it by not perpetuating the status quo. WE are responsible for speaking peace into existence. Not more self justified slaughter.
That's long-winded, but it's all to say that making a stand (in the case of the NFL players, a kneel) against overt govt force, corruption, and the like, is honorable and peaceful protest. Originally it began to bring attention to larger numbers about an issue that many somehow still ignore, deny, or are somehow unaware of -- police/govt enforcer abuse. But there is even a larger message to be heard -- the reality that when people have their minds shrinkwrapped in a flag ("nationalism"), the group/crowd psychology of that, can and does lead to horrendous atrocities, and that has to end. It can only end if the perception of flag and country association is brought into a different understanding. The status quo has to be shifted from the rut it's placed people's psychology.

Last edited:
tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
None of this NFL controversy is about the government or freedom of speech. The NFL is a private entity and can limit speech any way they want when consistent with the player contracts. This is purely about money. Can the NFL limit any activity that tarnished their brand? I think so. Should they? They’ll run the numbers... I think they did on this one, and Colin can protest on his own time

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
None of this NFL controversy is about the government or freedom of speech. The NFL is a private entity and can limit speech any way they want when consistent with the player contracts. This is purely about money. Can the NFL limit any activity that tarnished their brand? I think so. Should they? They’ll run the numbers... I think did on this one, and Colin can protest on his own time

All well and good with regard to the NFL as a "private entity" (apparently it's not as private as people imagine however), but if it's (NFL game time) got nothing to do with govt and freedom of speech et al., then lets get rid of the flag praise (Nationalism) and military flyovers, and other military promotions during "private entity" game/entertainment/business time.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic