Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

NFL's new policy on national anthem

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
ATLANTA – The NFL has an official rule against kneeling during the national anthem

Following a year of hand-wringing and disagreement inside the league’s ownership ranks, team owners approved a new measure on Wednesday that gives players the option of staying in the locker room during the national anthem if they don’t wish to stand during the ceremonies. Under the new rule, players who choose to be on the field during the anthem will be required to stand. If a player or team employee is on the field during the anthem and chooses not to stand, that player’s franchise will be fined by the NFL. In turn, players and employees who choose to attend the anthem ceremonies but do not stand will also be eligible for a fine by their franchise, if the team chooses to levy one.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfls-n...m-players-can-fined-dont-stand-162017626.html

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I have no issue with this. They are given an option. Stand or stay in the locker room. My thoughts are that we don't pay a player to hear or see his/her political views. We pay them for the performance in their perspective profession. It's no different for someone employed by a specific company. They don't care about your personal opinion. You're there to do a job. I've had heard of many employers having their employees sign contracts or agreements regarding their conduct. Some even extend beyond the hours an employee works. Their claim is you are a representative of that company at any time. Any of you guys come across this?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Not sure whether to praise the new policy for its flexible approach or to criticize it for its ambivalence and confusion. The owners are mostly (all?) billionaire businessmen. If they could get themselves to that point, I guess they know what's best?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
jK8TMAh.jpg

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
For me, it's a bit of a quandry. I agree with someone's right to protest because throughout history often the protesters are taking the correct stand. However, in this case it does appear the people who are being offended are the soldiers who fought for their right to protest. So, while I think the compromise is a decent solution, I still don't understand it as I have no idea who it is directed at if not the soldiers?

Hawk

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Pretty sure "the OP," Kaepernick, plus a few who came later and had camera-time, have stated from the beginning that the protest was inspired by cases where police used more force than a situation warranted. The President has kept hammering away at this to the point where protesters may be adding in more targets, and others may add more groups they think need defending, but Kaep and others were very clear about this from the get-go.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
The league is a private entity, and the teams are privately owned. The league and owners can run their businesses and make the rules largely as they see fit - as long as they're not violating any laws or violating players' union rights they can certainly run things as they wish.

The players' protests on the field and in uniform were obviously bad for business. The First Amendment right to protest peacefully only protects people from government retaliation against their protests, not from possible consequences of such protests in the private sector. Perhaps they would be better off protesting on their own time in front of the big city police stations they say are methodically targeting a certain segment of the population for extinction.

Of course many of us could argue whether Kaepernick and others who followed were sincere or were just seeking attention, whether they even understood the facts behind what they claimed to be protesting, and just how intelligent a US millionaire making $19 million a year to throw a football was to be wearing Castro t-shirts and claiming how much better life in Cuba under the Castros was than it is here.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Pretty sure "the OP," Kaepernick, plus a few who came later and had camera-time, have stated from the beginning that the protest was inspired by cases where police used more force than a situation warranted. The President has kept hammering away at this to the point where protesters may be adding in more targets, and others may add more groups they think need defending, but Kaep and others were very clear about this from the get-go.

I have a difficult time believing this.
It doesn't make any sense and judge Judy says, if it doesn't make sense, it probably isn't true.
What in the hell does kneeling during the national anthem have to do with the police? Nothing. Kneeling or turning your back on the flag has been a common sign of disrespect for ages. How is anyone watching from the stands or television going to make a giant leap to a protest against some real or imagined issue with police? If he/they wanted to make a statement against police, he can do that in a more direct way. Remember the socks with pigs? Wear some kind of headband like Jim Mcman or wristband, or T shirt post game locker room, whatever.
What happened was anti American, communist wanna be got caught and made up some bull shit to cover, media ran with it and here we are. Turns out it back fired and he blew a career over it. Too bad.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
people want racism to go away but they keep putting it in the spotlight blaming it for everything that doesn't go there way. keep doing that and it will never end. protesting the flag that replaced the southern flag which was the sign of racism and slavery is stupid/ ignorant. our flag and the national anthem represent the war won against slavery along many other very positive out comes. protesting the American flag / Anthem is a protest against the many men and woman of all colors who lost there lives, limbs, and mental abilities fighting for everyone's freedoms. until you've physically fought that fight you have no right to protest those men and woman.
I think the NFL's decision is the best decision Gooddell has made since taking office, I almost have respect for him now. Capernik is a sub=par performer who got canned for his inabilities, not because he is black. nfl owners and coaches love to win to much to cut someone over this. just another race card being thrown out cause someone didn't get there way and it MUST BE RACISM!

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
One more and I'm outta this thread, as I should have had the good sense to be before. I re-read my post, it says exactly what I intended it to say. I did not approve of Kaep, etc. and I did not disapprove. It did not get into agreeing with the message but disagreeing with the method, none of that stuff.

I simply explained/debated/corrected (choose any word that supports your feelings) something chicken_hawk had said . . . . that the target of the protests was the military. Members of the military and other people may have chosen to be offended, but they were not targets according to Kaep and other players, police who use excessive force were the targets. This can be switched to being offended for police if you like, but the military was not the target. You can argue about whether Kaep and Co. are lying about who the targets really were, or about their right, or their method of protesting, but that does not change who the original target was said to be. Those who really respect the military, or the police, might consider that they are a favorite vehicle used by politicians to wrap themselves in the Flag to gain favor with voters. True today, and always has been true. Like Kaep and the others or not, at least they took a stand they believe in for which he is paying bigtime. I am more offended by politicians who adopt any stand that they think will get them re-elected.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
No ones mad at you Raw. I was never offended by the "protest" despite anyone thinking I would be or should be. I don't care if you stand, sit kneel lay down whatever. My point is that for kapernick, it was a deliberately false statement. He knew it was unpopular so he tried to make it about an unrelated cause that was popular at the time. Others naively jumped on board including Bennett who made up a story about being harassed by Las Vegas police, but was too dumb to realize that place has more cameras than anywhere in the world.
When. KApernick was out of the league last year, it returned to a protest of the anthem/flag and then "supporting" teammates. The NFL started to feel pain, because ratings and sponsorship were down last year so they had to at least pretend to do something to appease "fans"

I like football and I'll watch anyway. I could care less about players personal beliefs. I can set that aside to enjoy the game just like I can have fun here and get along with members whose personal beliefs are contrary to my own.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic