Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Newbie/Novice Looking for help

jhopper37

jhopper37

Nov 4, 2022
Hey hey!

So I live in a very rural area in NW Tennessee. My resources are limited when it comes to this topic. So I am hoping you all can help me out.

I'm 37 and currently 5ft 9.5 in tall and 246lbs, two months ago I had an IFBB pro caliper my body fat and was right at 14.5%. A little leaner now.

I am blessed with the fact that it's very easy for me to put on weight and gain muscle. Never been an issue.

I'm looking to compete in my first show in April 2023.

Seeing how I am six months out, would you all recommend I continue to put some more mass/size on... put a minimal amount of size on while cutting some.

or just focus on cutting more weight right now?

I also naturally hold more water than the average joe. I was a Marine for 10.5 years and could manipulate my water weight to make weigh-ins every time. The most I have ever lost in 48 hours is around 12 pounds.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, any online source (even if I have to pay) that would assist me with my prep, diet, and workouts?

100% new to bodybuilding... so go easy on me....I have been told countless times I have the perfect frame and body to compete if I can dial thingS. We moved to rural NW TN and I'm bored out of my mind and going nuts... so trying to keep mentally sane by focusing on this.

Thanks gents.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Sorry bro, I have no idea about BB. I assume cutting for a show is diff than for a fight.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Welcome aboard and Semper Fi brother! I spent most of my Marine Corps career around your size, 5'9" and 235-255 lbs, so I know that struggle. I never cut though, just took the tape and walked away laughing each time.

If it were me, I would start cutting sooner rather than later. There is a huge difference between cutting 10-15 lbs and trying to get mid-single digit bodyfat. Conditioning wins most local shows.

For online coaching, there are tons out there. Some of the more reputable ones that work with novices are Scott McNally, Skip Hill, Andrew Berry, Dusty Hanshaw, Ron Partlow and Joey Swole.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Definitely agree with Genetic Freak! You don’t want to be trying to get those last few lbs off to make weight before the show. You should be ready weeks before so you can practice dialing in your carb up. Guys that have been competing for years have an advantage because they know what works for them. We still need to figure that out. I plan on completing for first time next year myself. If you cant afford a good coach buy this book by Scott Stevenson! Be Your Own Bodybuilding Coach: A Reference Guide For Year-Round Bodybuilding Success https://a.co/d/fVctYmg Will teach you everything you need to know.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Definitely agree with Genetic Freak! You don’t want to be trying to get those last few lbs off to make weight before the show. You should be ready weeks before so you can practice dialing in your carb up. Guys that have been competing for years have an advantage because they know what works for them. We still need to figure that out. I plan on completing for first time next year myself. If you cant afford a good coach buy this book by Scott Stevenson! Be Your Own Bodybuilding Coach: A Reference Guide For Year-Round Bodybuilding Success https://a.co/d/fVctYmg Will teach you everything you need to know.
It is a good book. Sitting on my coffee table right now.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic