Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Newb questions. about power equipment

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
How about the cool looking shoes I see people wearing. some sites have slippers for Dead lifting. ? I just use regular running or cross trainers when I lift.

Are the special shoes, or slippers required by power Lifting orgs.?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'm not a pl, rarely lift over a hundred pounds. For what it's worth though. I wear both a lever belt and the EFS knee sleeves. They have both a "heavy" and a "super heavy" sleeve. I like the lever belt because I can get it a little bit tighter than the buckle by myself. The problem, I'm on my third lever in two years. The metal keeps breaking.

You can order another buckle from liftinglarge.com. A quality buckle will cost you 40 bucks or thereabouts but then you don't have t replace the entire belt. I wear a toro lever and I replaced the buckle after the 1st year wearing it b/c the buckle broke. The new buckle on it has lasted over 4 years.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Yes, I've bought two replacement buckles already. Third one is not chromed which I hope will make it a little tougher

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
How about the cool looking shoes I see people wearing. some sites have slippers for Dead lifting. ? I just use regular running or cross trainers when I lift.

Are the special shoes, or slippers required by power Lifting orgs.?

Never wear running shoes. The soles don't deform/compress evenly and therefore will/can cause knee problems. Chucks at a minimum when you squat and OHP. You can pull in socks but if you plan on doing a meet, yes you'd need to buy a pair of DL slippers or wrestling shoes.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
A Belt, Chalk, Wrist and Knee wraps is all you truly need.

If you buy a Belt. go with a 13mm Prong Belt. A good one will last you for ever. Pioneer Fitness and Belt Belt have nice ones. I have a belt from both. I have also had a 10mm Lever belt. Broke one lever and stripped the thread on 2nd lever... SOLD the belt.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
A belt should be a 10-20 year investment. Wait the 6 weeks...... or, go EliteFTS if you need something now. Their service is way better than Inzer's.

For shoes it depends what you like, but never a soft running shoe. I prefer a flatter shoe and do really well in a pair of high top DCs. Lots of guys wear chucks or PF Flyers. Plenty of big squats done in flat soled Adidas too... if you want a heel check out some of the solid sole crossfit shoes or a dedicated Oly lifting shoe. All that softness in a running shoe is just instability and liability under weight.

The biggest thing to keep in mind though comes from Louie Simmons " Don't have a 10 cent squat and $100 shoes" ...... get the basic gear you need and spend a few years putting in work before you start to worry about anything. Getting 5% better wraps or shoes doesn't mean much when you're just starting out. Invest in decent gear and leave it alone.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Thank you all for the input, so I pulled the trigger on a RDX 10mil lever belt. will be here Tuesday. My thinking I can beat the crap out of it for the next year, and if I make it to a PL meet, next spring, Ill invest in an approved belt at that time.I got a compresion cuff for my left elbow, and some chalk...

I would rather put the money into food for me for the next few week, than an expensive belt right now.

The_Northman1522

The_Northman1522

Jul 11, 2016
Ok fellas... so I was watching George Leeman pull 800lbs for 8 reps on the tube... as I'm watching this first thing is holly shit, that man is a beast. Then I started thinking....

Why does he place his weight belt up around his sternum. Or what looks like his upper abs. ? What am I missing, or is this a new fad? His preference? is there something I don't know about?

Second is the shorts suit he is wearing. I have seen a lot of power lifters use these. Do they help with the lifts in anyway. ? Help support stuff..? or just another fashion statement.? I have been lifting all these years with out the cool shorts suit thing.

Then the question hit me, should I get me one of these fancy suits to dead lift and squat in? .... and should i be wearing my lifting belt up above my stomach muscles.?

Thanks for the input... guy...
He has a spor hernia on his upper abs. It's to keep it from blasting out.

Rangers lead the way

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic