Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

New to the sport

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Bench: without spotters and no wrist wraps 315. I have got more in me but usually do not have help in the gym.
Squat: Was 375 with belt and no spotter, have had a small hip problem so i have not hit heavy weights for awhile, but feeling good and getting back into heavy now.
Dead: Never really tried maxing out because my lower back is a tad weak, which i have been working on to fix, but i have pulled 365 with belt.

I am working on getting more help in the gym so i can push myself harder on those max lifts and last reps.
Find yourself a reliable spotter and test all your maxes. Use full range of motion and don't shortchange yourself. Remember, if you cheat, you cheat yourself. Wraps are fine if you're a raw lifter.. I always use wrist wraps, and use knee wraps only on my top sets (personal preference). Once you establish your true maxes, base all of your percentages off a training max (typically 90% of true max). What this does, is allow you to hit all of your prescribed reps and sets every workout.. regardless of whether or not you've got a spotter, feeling shitty, etc. To compensate for the lower percentage of the training max, I always go for max reps on my top set (technical failure, 1-3 reps in the tank) or work up to heavy singles.

D

dzul25

Oct 10, 2014
Find yourself a reliable spotter and test all your maxes. Use full range of motion and don't shortchange yourself. Remember, if you cheat, you cheat yourself. Wraps are fine if you're a raw lifter.. I always use wrist wraps, and use knee wraps only on my top sets (personal preference). Once you establish your true maxes, base all of your percentages off a training max (typically 90% of true max). What this does, is allow you to hit all of your prescribed reps and sets every workout.. regardless of whether or not you've got a spotter, feeling shitty, etc. To compensate for the lower percentage of the training max, I always go for max reps on my top set (technical failure, 1-3 reps in the tank) or work up to heavy singles.

Thank you for the info!! I will work on getting someone to lift at the same time as me or work on meeting someone who is usually there to work as a spotter for me. I am usually there fairly early so it is hard to find a reliable person.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I say this to everyone because it was the best advice I've ever been given...

Go find a team.

Go to any local meet and start talking to people. There are teams of guys training everywhere. You'd be amazed how many 2 car garages are out there with all sorts of great bars and a monolift with a good crew training a few times a week. A team will shorten your learning curve, stop you from reinventing the wheel, and will push you.

I spent years being " king of the commercial gym" and never got any better...... I found the best team in the area ( one of the best in the country) and in 7 months put 400 pounds on my total.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I say this to everyone because it was the best advice I've ever been given...

Go find a team.

Go to any local meet and start talking to people. There are teams of guys training everywhere. You'd be amazed how many 2 car garages are out there with all sorts of great bars and a monolift with a good crew training a few times a week. A team will shorten your learning curve, stop you from reinventing the wheel, and will push you.

I spent years being " king of the commercial gym" and never got any better...... I found the best team in the area ( one of the best in the country) and in 7 months put 400 pounds on my total.

We can all help you with workouts and form etc... but listen to this man here^^^^

Look up the meets and go. Everyone for the most part is friendly and approachable (except me on a meet day while I'm on 80mg of halo).

Warning: once you start getting into this sport, it's REALLY FUKKIN ADDICTIVE

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Welcome to the board man.

You should definitely start up a journal in the members section.

Like Porky said, go to a meet and network with the people there. You might find a group of people training right down the road from you. But, then, you might have to drive a little farther to train with a group.

Its worth it either way though. The environment of training with people focused on the same goal as you just makes your lifts better.

cmeliftheavy

cmeliftheavy

Jan 29, 2011
Keep us posted, as requested start a log.

As you I am new to the "powerlifting" I have one event underneath my belt epic moments in my lifting journal. Already prepping for for state open, always good to have event/meets to shoot for.

D

dzul25

Oct 10, 2014
Keep us posted, as requested start a log.

As you I am new to the "powerlifting" I have one event underneath my belt epic moments in my lifting journal. Already prepping for for state open, always good to have event/meets to shoot for.

Hey brother. I have a log going in the Member Online Journals section of this site. It is titled "Loggin Time".

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic