Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

New to powerlifting

MrBear

MrBear

Nov 27, 2017
I have been lifting weights for many years now, I use it as stress/anxiety relief. Lately however, I started to question, why haven't I been lifting for a purpose? Why don't I start putting all this time I spend in the gym to good use? As such, I have decided to start training for powerlifting. There is an open meet in August I am entering and want to train for that goal.

My main question is, should I do a series of peaking programs or should I do something different?

Stats:
34 years old
310lbs
6'2"
435 raw bench
Never maxed deadlifts or squat but I have gone over 500lbs on both.

Is there any other information I should put down?

e95bcfef6ec2bfea54209ac4db166170.jpg

Last edited:
R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Oh man, have you come to a good place for PL info . . . Welcome. I'm not your man, but there are guys here who should charge for the info they regularly exchange. By all means snoop around the entire TID board, but spend time in the PL and Strength Sports area. As to "any other info" from you, it might help them some to know about the meet you're targeting . . . what federation, raw, equipped, full meet or no, stuff like that. Those will evolve into long range decisions too if you stick with PL, but might as well focus on August for now.

tinymk

tinymk

Feb 5, 2013
Welcome brother. Nothing worth having comes easy and if your choosing to slip to Powerlifting it has the potential to assist you in focusing your lifting for a purpose. I also lift to help with anxiety and keeping me calm when I am not in the gym but after training as a powerlifter so long, I lift to be the best "me" as I can be.

Several really good guys in here are powerlifters and a wealth of knowledge. best advise is look and see what those who are getting the job done on the platform are doing to succeed. After 25+ years in the sport, I still watch alot of videos of other powerlifters, I also video most of my lifts and re-evaluate where mistakes are being made and correcting form. Sometimes even between sets, this works for me. Once you get through the phase of "hey cool that is me" or "look how muscled up my arm is" and start looking at your videos with the mindset"where can I improve" or "what did I do wrong on that set--it felt like shit".
BI, FLEXjs and I both have training logs on here and both train in strength sports.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Also, don't forget to include Ramrod in the group of us who train for PLing. Ramrod is an equipped guy but that doesn't matter.

I personally thing there is nothing better then strength sports. No better way to test your resolve then to get under a bar. You can't run from the weight once it's loaded.

Between now and August is A LOT of time (9 month). You can easily peak 2x (second time being at the meet) with plenty of time to work volume and even hypertrophy to help your body/joints handle the loads.

MrBear

MrBear

Nov 27, 2017
Oh man, have you come to a good place for PL info . . . Welcome. I'm not your man, but there are guys here who should charge for the info they regularly exchange. By all means snoop around the entire TID board, but spend time in the PL and Strength Sports area. As to "any other info" from you, it might help them some to know about the meet you're targeting . . . what federation, raw, equipped, full meet or no, stuff like that. Those will evolve into long range decisions too if you stick with PL, but might as well focus on August for now.

The meet in August is independent but I am planning on competing in the WUAP-USA to start off. The meet in August is not drug tested, it is raw, and I will participating in the full meet.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Well, you certainly seem to have a good base,
The meet in August is independent but I am planning on competing in the WUAP-USA to start off. The meet in August is not drug tested, it is raw, and I will participating in the full meet.

Good, plenty of time to add mass. You appear to be a little undersized.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic