Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

New to powerlifting, point-five-oh

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
So I posted on here a while back now, asking for advice on getting in to powerlifting, and the general advice I got was lift big, eat big. So I started lifting as heavy as I could and it turns out I got that wrong too. My other struggle was getting food in, jus haven't got a frigging clue about what to eat and when.

I've been watching a lot of videos, reading articles or watching/listening to interviews with the Lilliebridge guys. I'd love to have them kind of stats and still keep my body fat below 15%.

So with that any advice that you guys have would be really appreciated, mainly on what program to follow and what and when to eat. Sorry for the ultra noob questions I jus haven't a scooby what to do.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Keep it simple. A lot of people new to the sport tend to be very good at overcomplicating things.

** Lots of good quality foods and organic where possible
** Train consistently ~ and follow a program to the letter for the best part of a year before you decide to switch
** Don't hit max lifts too often and schedule regular deload weeks to allow optimal recovery and muscular/CNS adaptation
** Set yourself small goals periodically and write down one big goal, don't let anything deter you along the way. The small goals are great stepping stones to the big one which for me was nearly always the total I wanted to hit at my next meet
** Surround yourself with people that are likeminded, best case scenario is to train at a PL'ing gym or at least where there are lots of strong guys regularly smashing themselves

FWIW, I actually learnt a lot from watching these two DVD's; they are very instructional and Stan covers a lot about technique :D

1322596928.png

images

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I've written chapters on this in other threads on here.....

but the best piece of advice anyone can ever follow is the advice I got when I wanted to make the leap from gym rat to competitive powerlifter....

Go find the best team in your area. Go there. Train with them. Show up early. Load plates. Ask what to do and then do what you're told. Do what they do regardless of how you feel about it.

I followed this advice, leading me to my first team. In a year they took me from a 1315 total to around 1800. After 5 years that grew to 2200. I got with my current team right after that and they took me to around 2500. I drive an hour each way, 4 times a week to train with them.
After a crap year I now have started putting in weekends where I'll drive 16 hours round trip to train at Westside. If you want to be the best go train with the best. Do what the best do.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic