Latest Member
bsimon7074
What's New?

New Smoker

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Think this is the best to try first? Wouldn't want to ruin a nice brisket while learning how to use the thing.

Dude I did a brisket on my propane grill earlier this year; not even a smoker, with excellent results.

Jump in the deep end. Just keep the temp around 200 and have lots of patience and you will be rewarded. Mine took about 10 hours.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
What kind of wood is good to start with (insert hard wood joke here) . I have an apple orchard close by that sells tons aged apple wood from when they prune the trees, but can also order whatever the hell you guys recommend.

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
What kind of wood is good to start with (insert hard wood joke here) . I have an apple orchard close by that sells tons aged apple wood from when they prune the trees, but can also order whatever the hell you guys recommend.
I like apple for brisket and I'm gonna second flex on the grilling of brisket I did it myself and basted it every half hour. Gave it a great crust and really tender.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
Apple wood is great. Beyond that its preference. I personally do not like mesquite. Good butcher shops will have a small assortment of wood chips to try out. Once you find what you like, the classifieds are always good for picking up a truck load of wood

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Apple wood is great. Beyond that its preference. I personally do not like mesquite. Good butcher shops will have a small assortment of wood chips to try out. Once you find what you like, the classifieds are always good for picking up a truck load of wood
So you shop for stiff wood on the classifieds?

NavyChief

NavyChief

VIP Member
Sep 26, 2013
First time smoker, you cant go wrong starting with a boston butt. Put a little dry rub on it to start.

Smoke it for 8 hrs, 275.

Pull apart and pour in a bottle of sweet baby rays bbq sauce.

Improve from here brother. The fun in experimenting is what also makes it great.

Smoke some fish, jerky, big butterfly chops, turkeys, cornish hens and pheasant. No limit.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic